Upgrade from 7B-SST2 to 28B-SST2 ??

dspgolf

Re: Upgrade from 7B-SST2 to 28B-SST2 ??
« Reply #20 on: 24 Mar 2011, 09:30 pm »
How loud are you listening that you would need 1,000 watts of power?  I have a 4B sst2 and can't see the need for much more power than even that?

mclsound

« Reply #21 on: 24 Mar 2011, 10:47 pm »
How loud are you listening that you would need 1,000 watts of power?  I have a 4B sst2 and can't see the need for much more power than even that?
Well thats a good one

mclsound

« Reply #22 on: 24 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm »
subs are slow and pmc's are fast for 2ch

werd

« Reply #23 on: 24 Mar 2011, 11:38 pm »
Well thats a good one

Was this pic before or after you dropped the amp on your toe ?  :icon_lol:

Mag

« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:23 am »
>>subs are slow and pmc's are fast for 2ch<<

I'm sorry, I was objecting to the perceived connotation that one is only serious about listening to music, in 2 channel. I listen in MC stereo and am serious listener.

I guess I see lower bass freq. more as filler, to complete the sound spectrum. Upper bass freq. is where its at. :drool:

Assuming he's using an multi-channel pre-amp, with the subs x-over at 80 he should get much better upper bass & mid-range.

When I was a young audiophile, I had to cut the lower freq. cause that would drive my mom nuts, who was hard of hearing and wore hearing aids. That's why I say lower bass in sound spectrum filler. 8)

adol290

« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:52 am »

I use an Integra 9.8 as my pre-amp. X-over here is set at 80

The subs are also physically set at 80.

Mag

« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2011, 01:05 am »
I use an Integra 9.8 as my pre-amp. X-over here is set at 80

The subs are also physically set at 80.

What is your bass set at, swfr, mains, both? Sometimes I use both, but with just the swfr, adjusted a bit louder to compensate, I perceive much better upper bass. Perhaps this is just an illusion being just contrast to having less lower bass. :smoke:

adol290

« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:30 am »
In Speaker Config on the 9.8

Subwoofer  yes

All speakers are set as full band

LFE is set at 80

Double bass is set off.

For Multi-channel i use the  settings above. If i turn on double bass it
  is just too much in my room.

I like double bass on, in 2 channel mode.

Mag

« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:52 am »

Subwoofer  yes

LFE is set at 80

Double bass is set off.

That's what I have mine set at too, except I have the graphic equalizer On with all freq. set flat at '0', Enhancer On set to high, dynamic range at Max.

Not familiar with the term double bass. :?

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #29 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:35 am »
I'd go for it. It sounds like a great opportunity!

mclsound

« Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:53 am »
Personally I would hold off for this reason
-You are running over $40,000 worth of gear off of a Integra 9.8(worth around $1000 used).You should find something better than that as it will squeeze your sound down so much that it will sound like you are running 24gauge speaker wire at 50ft.A good pre/pro will open your sound up alot.
That integra is a glorified reciever(my opinion) in comparison to your gear.Unless you have other plans I would say you have 10/10 gear with a 5/10 pre/pro.
You should look at a used Classe ssp800($6500) or wait for the SP3 but this will improve your sound more than the 28's on a Integra

adol290

« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2011, 01:04 pm »

I bought the 9.8 when it came out, before I had any bryston amps, or PMC speakers.
This was my very first pre/pro.

Many so called hi-fi experts touted the integra as being able to give the Anthem pre's
 a good run for their money. There were a number of people who sold their anthems and
 bought the integra's. BUT, that does not mean they are that good.

I have been looking for another pre over the last year or so. I almost bought the integra 80.2,
 but with a price 50% higher than the U.S. i said no thanks.

The next pre/pro I buy must have some type of room correction. I would not buy a pre/pro over $3000 that
 does not have any type of room correction. This technology has become extremely cheap.
 Unfortunately this leaves out the SP3.

And, if I could get $1000 for my 9.8 i would sell it immediately.

budt

« Reply #32 on: 25 Mar 2011, 01:53 pm »
  I had a number of excellent pre/pros( including Anthem statement D2 and Bryston sp2). However as good as they were they do not compare to the Bryston BP26 preamp.
 A good preamp is far far more important than an amplifier( no contest imo).

drummermitchell

« Reply #33 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:41 pm »
Before I got my 26 pre I was(still am) using the Arcam AV-8 prepro for music and movies(now movies).
not hearing a dedicated pre and not  be able to afford one at the time,the Arcam was excellent.
Installing the 26 was(is)a huge upgrade musically.

Same as a dedicated cdp(BCD-1)I was using a Arcam DV-139,again a major upgrade.
I think the all in one box can do really good,until you try out a dedicated pre,then you'll know what
youv'e been missing.
I'd keep what you have and at least audition a dedicated pre(it's free)then you'll know.
I'd also keep the prepro for the movie side,but that's just me and upgrade later when funds allow.
Source,source,source,garbage in garbage out.

PRELUDE

« Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:08 pm »
What is bothering you right now that you do not like it?The opportunity will always be there and one thing that I like about Bryston is they not screwing things around like some companies that the first product cost $50,000 then the second one is $10,000 or so. They take the point wich is customers needs then they go from perfection to completion and that is why they came up with 28b.Nobody said and will not say that the 28b are not good but if you are %20 music it would be waste of money even if they sell it to you as low as in price.If the bass extention is the case and you have some money in your hand,I would replace the two subs with one 10B Bryston eleectronic crossover and  Genelec HTS4B sub( just IMO)

adol290

« Reply #35 on: 25 Mar 2011, 04:23 pm »
It started out by me asking my dealer about getting an Oppo BDP-95 to replace my Marantz BD8002.
Better video? Better audio out for 2 channel than my marantz.

At that point my dealer  said he had a new pair of 28B's(unopened and great price), and that would be a much better bang for my buck. Which started this tread.

I had no doubt that for 2 channel 28b's would be a no-brainier. As many people have pointed out.

Suggestions came up that the money may be better spent upgrading other parts of my system. This
 is also a valid, and has opened up a number of  possibility's.

The 2 things that bother me are.

It is like my system is almost there, but not quite.

I like the sound of the IB2i's without the subs, but it needs reinforcement in the lower end for concerts and movies. I like the tight and clean bass of the PMC. With 2 JL subs, I seem to loose some of the clean bass coming from the PMC's. With 1 sub it is less noticeable. This makes me wonder if going to MB2i's front
and center would help, but i probably would still need a sub(for concerts and movies) which brings me back to this problem.

The second is as mclsound suggested, maybe my pre is also holding back some of the music. I have being
 wondering this also.

Or I have started to chase the ever elusive perfect system.

werd

« Reply #36 on: 25 Mar 2011, 04:46 pm »
Personally I would hold off for this reason
-You are running over $40,000 worth of gear off of a Integra 9.8(worth around $1000 used).You should find something better than that as it will squeeze your sound down so much that it will sound like you are running 24gauge speaker wire at 50ft.A good pre/pro will open your sound up alot.
That integra is a glorified reciever(my opinion) in comparison to your gear.Unless you have other plans I would say you have 10/10 gear with a 5/10 pre/pro.
You should look at a used Classe ssp800($6500) or wait for the SP3 but this will improve your sound more than the 28's on a Integra

This is absolutely paramount in your next step. I would even go as far as changing the title of your post - What preamp should i buy for my 7B's ?

werd

« Reply #37 on: 25 Mar 2011, 04:56 pm »

Subwoofer  yes

LFE is set at 80

Double bass is set off.

Those subs are nice but considering the transmission line characteristics of the pmcs and the non- servo design of the JL's i would try puting the subs down below 50hz at 24db slope and drop the volume on the subs. But definitely try the 12 db slope on those two. I would look for less impact from the subs and more ambient information.

I have transmission line speakers and its hard to integrate my sub at 80hz. I have a paradigm servo 15 and i think the servo is just to fast for the speakers at 80hz but works real nice below 80hz. I have mine at around 50hz.

Viajero5000

« Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2011, 05:11 pm »
Hi Adol, I wasn't aware that you have a receiver style unit as a pre-amp.  The most important upgrade I can suggest is getting a high quality pre-amp (followed by source); this will likely be a much more meaningful upgrade than changing the amps to a higher power model. The PMC speakers and Bryston amps are clear and transparent sounding pieces of gear, but using downstream equipment that isn't at the same level veils your speakers' and amps' capability. 

For 2 channel listening, the BP26 and BCD1 may be an appropriate choice with your system - they both have very low distortion and a clear, neutral sound like the 7Bs.  Have a listen to them and establish whether you find their presentation involving.  I do not have experience with HT, but I'm sure other forum members can advise. 

budt

« Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2011, 08:21 pm »
  What ever you do DON'T make another change until you atleast try a high quality stand alone pre-amp like the Bryston BP26. I don't think you will be convinced until you try it. Then you will wonder why you didn't do that in the first place.