"RCM" Record Cleaning Machine

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
"RCM" Record Cleaning Machine
« on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm »
Alright, so don't get in a hurry to see the end result of this one.   :nono:

As time, money, space, patience, and a desire to build this contraption allows, I'm going to build a machine that will clean records.

I've seen a great many different ideas on how to DIY a unit that will clean vinyl "the best way", but they all appear to be a big pain in the butt. Not to be arrogant here, but as NON-interested as I'll be in cleaning my records, assuredly I'll be looking for a way to do it quickly, efficiently and cheaply.

For starters, I'll be using a piece of medical equipment. I have a friend that gave me a rather nice (working) unit that has both a vacuum pump and compressor unit within it. A quick Google search on what this unit is shows that it's intended purpose was to gently "sandblast" your face with a fine crystalline powder, then vacuum the sand, along with the first layer of your face and deposit it else ware.   :lol:

So far, all I have done is take a few pictures and remove a couple screws. Not sure what it weighs, but it's more than it appears.

Note; The two hoses on the lower right that are pressure and vacuum.

Note; You can see what appears to be a vacuum pump on the lower left, and a compressor on the lower right.

The pump and compressor removed from the unit, laying on my table saw:

DaveyW

Re: "RCM" Record Cleaning Machine
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:49 pm »
Hi Bob,

Looking forward to see how this works out - Looks like it's gonna be a little different to the norm.

Cheers
Dave

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:02 pm »
Looking forward to see how this works out - Looks like it's gonna be a little different to the norm.
Thanks Dave!  :D
I've been keeping an eye on your thread as well. Neat stuff.  :thumb:

Bob

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:03 pm »
"Is it done yet?"

Just kidding. Looks cool. I think sandblasting will be the next new thing in vinyl cleaning! :lol:

Paul

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:21 pm »
Are we there yet....Are we there yet....Are we there yet....Are we there yet.........  :duh: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Paul.  :thumb:

I did strip back the wires on the blower and stick them in an electrical outlet (I'm a trained professional, don't attempt this at home kids). It doesn't have as much volume and pressure as I'd like it to have, but we'll see once I fancy up some sort of nozzle thingy.

Bob

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:15 pm »
That looks like it will umm err, suck your shorts off. Watch it!  :o

D