Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod

Wayne1

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« on: 27 Mar 2004, 03:13 pm »

Here is a photo of the back of an SA-XR45 with the HT mod for binding posts.

Because this has taken so long, I am going to include the WBT NextGen RCA for digital input.

This no charge upgrade will be for a limited time.

The HT mod includes all the power supply and internal wiring upgrades of the two channel mod plus the extra pair of binding posts and NITRO wiring for the center channel.

The price for the HT mod will be $750.00. This will also be for a limited time. There is a HELL of a lot of labor involved in this and the 2 CH/Bi-amp mod. I was hoping that after doing a few of them I could get the labor time down, but that is not happening. I will let the prices stand at least though April. There may be a price raise in May. The HT mod will go on the website next week.

azryan

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2004, 06:50 pm »
Man!

Those binding posts look like they're stock. That's a really clean mod.

When I heard you had to get some plate made up I thought it might looked a bit 'rigged up', but this looks Really nice.

So can I mail you my 45 now? Please PM me with what I've gotta do, so I can do it 'cuz I want this mod asap.

Thanks!

klh

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2004, 02:16 pm »
Wayne,

That looks really clean and professional  :D .

I have a couple of questions...

Is there a drop off in sound quality when going from the larger binding posts to the samller ones? If one has a satellite home theater with 626Rs all around and an LCR in the middle, do you think it would be unreasonable to also use the smaller binding post for the front L&R speakers? When using those speakers, I don't think the fronts would need the more robust binding posts. If you would be willing to do that, it looks like there would be room for binding posts for the center surround, too. I'm sure there would be a number of people who would appreciate using the full potential of the receiver.  If it's too much a pain in the... then no worries. It's just an idea. If it's not too much work, you may want to offer that as an option for an extra fee. Maybe after a while when the orders slow down a little.

Krister

Wayne1

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2004, 04:50 pm »
I use the binding posts I do to take advantage of the cutouts already in the chassis. That is what Panasonic has given us to work with.

The binding posts are all rated the same, as far as current and voltage go. The difference is the design of the insulation around them. The cost of the posts are the same.

The plates are already made up in this design. It would cost quite a bit more to get new plates designed and built. Is it worth $300.00 more to you to have the sixth channel?

klh

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2004, 05:07 pm »
nope :|

randog

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2004, 05:55 pm »
Wayne, aside from the bi-amping, is there anything different between the HT version and the bi-amp version WRT mods for 2-channel listening for the front L&R channels? In other words, if both machines only used the front L&R binding posts, would they be virtually identical WRT mods?

Wayne1

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2004, 06:00 pm »
The only difference between the two is the binding post configuration, the amount of binding posts and the amount of NITRO speaker wire used. More labor involved in HT.

For two channel, the two channel/Biamp mod would be the best bet..

klh

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:33 am »
Has anyone received the HT modded panny? Any reviews on the way???

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:45 am »
My buddy Sean (Sunshinedawg) received his last week.

Not sure how much he has listened to it since he got married on Friday!!

:kiss:

:beer:

:dance:

George

Wayne1

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:45 am »
Sean and Tyson got their's the end of March. The modded units will need at least one month of break-in.

I hope to get two more out later this week.

sunshinedawg

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:55 am »
It's been running 24/7 since I got it,  sounding better all the time.  Will post a review when I feel it is totally burned in!   8)

klh

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2004, 08:01 pm »
can't wait :D

klh

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2004, 09:12 pm »
OK... it's been about a month :D

Are the reviews coming :?:  :?:  :?:

azryan

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:18 am »
Who else has one?

I'm hopin' to get mine back any time now. fingers crossed.

sunshinedawg

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2004, 04:52 am »
OK, I've finally let my panny have a rest and I turned it off.  I will give a review this weekend when I get some free time.  I gave it a short listen tonight and I was extremely pleased.  Don't judge it until you break it in for a month.

armstrg3

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:28 pm »
Wayne -

Have you given any consideration on selling your XR45 Mod as a DIY Kit?  Personally I am waiting for the XR70 to come available and anticipate that you will also have a Mod of some kind for this unit? A DIY Kit would only expand your opportunities while affording the average Joe to save a few $$.   Any thoughts?

Wayne1

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:51 pm »
The question was asked before.

I barely have time to do the mods myself. I do not have the time or inclination to write up an instructon sheet, put parts in a bag, cut wire, or hold hands over the phione with people who get in over their heads.

These mods are NOT for the average Joe. It takes me 20-30 hours of work to complete one mod. The price I am charging for this work is very low.

At this time I do not know if I will be offering any mod to the XR-50 or XR-70. The back panel with the binding posts is completely different than the XR-25 and 45. This will require a new plate to be machined.

All the speaker level signals are being routed through a relay. This will degrade the final quality of signal. I am not sure if the relay can be safely bypassed without the possibility of damage being caused down the road.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2004, 04:26 pm »
Wayne,

Maybe they are hoping to catch you off guard and have you say YES to the same question you have said NO to multiple times?   :lol:  :lol:

George

armstrg3

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2004, 10:04 pm »
Seems to me that you not only enjoy posting comments on this website and obviously have more than ample time to do so.   My question is, why would you respond to a simple question, as if, it is such an inconvenience to you?

Being unaware that the simple question has already been asked, you must be under the impression that I am one of your inept followers who is mislead to believe that you are the one person in the world capable of modifying an electronic device.  

I hope your business decisions have competition factored in........?

Best Regards

pjchappy

Panasonic SA-XR45 HT Mod
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2004, 10:39 pm »
That was uncalled for. . .

And if you compare the time it takes to spend a few minutes to make a post vs. the several hours it takes to do mods, then  :P  .

If Wayne doesn't want to offer a DIY kit, that's his choice.  Why the hell would you get pissy w/ him b/c of that?  

p