All things audio - your pet peeves...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
All things audio - your pet peeves...
« on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:13 pm »
Sometimes it can be the little things that you just end up shaking your head at. For example, the individual who finished my basement decided to place the light switch for my room closet on the wrong side of the door. Seemingly insignificant you might say, but I know sooner or later I am going to move that pesky little switch to the proper aide of the door. So, big or small, what are your pet peeves relating to anything audio?

Why not share your pain with us all  :duh:

Be well...

Laundrew

Re: All things audio - your pet peeves...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:31 pm »
This one receives honourable mention under the "small things" category for me.

CD cases that are of a special, limited edition release which are not a standard size format and do not fit into my current CD storage system. These releases normally come in tin cans or other unwieldy monstrosities. I am a stickler for uniformity when it applies to the appearance of my music collection. My wrath also includes the most horrible, cardboard CD holders.

Be well....   

BobRex

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:23 pm »
By code, with a standard 2 foot deep closet, the light switch will be on the room side.  In the case of a walk-in closet the switch is placed in the closet.  What did your builder do?

Laundrew

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:38 pm »
By code, with a standard 2 foot deep closet, the light switch will be on the room side.  In the case of a walk-in closet the switch is placed in the closet.  What did your builder do?

He placed the switch on the hinge side of the door. Our other rooms and walk-in closets have the switch loated on the doorknob side.

Be well...

Ryanz

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2011, 05:39 pm »
iPods and all iPod related products. At least until they finally put out something worth a damn.  :cuss:

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2011, 06:24 pm »
Remote controls and crappy interfaces piss me off.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2011, 06:27 pm »
Remote controls and crappy interfaces piss me off.

You know what pez i agree with the remote controls.... I don't have one so i don't have to look for it.. Its such a waste of time looking for remotes.

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2011, 07:35 pm »
The interface thing has been annoying me more and more. Nothing infuriates me more than when my Bluray player tells me 'you are not allowed to do that at this time'. Oh ya? Am I allowed to throw you against the wall and shatter you into pieces? FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! I OWN YOU MACHINE!!!!!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2011, 04:31 pm »
Major peeve: digital gear which "sorta works", or is only half finished. Like a CD player which only plays the first 32 songs on a CD, or refuses to play anything that does not conform to some ancient standard. Or a BDP without DAC.

Laundrew

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2011, 04:37 pm »
Major peeve: digital gear which "sorta works", or is only half finished. Like a CD player which only plays the first 32 songs on a CD, or refuses to play anything that does not conform to some ancient standard. Or a BDP without DAC.

The most dreaded Blu-ray, out of the blue pause/freeze certainly comes to mind.

Be well...

BrysTony

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2011, 05:40 pm »
A preamp without a pass through for home theater use.

Tony

Tubeburner

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2011, 06:47 pm »
My biggest issue are tube companies who boast how great their new tubes are, but they will not hold up in a class A tube amp for a year.  I have passed on several very nice sounding amps since I know it will cost a small fortune in tubes. AArrgggggg..............

Ryanz

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2011, 07:22 pm »
Automated room correction, dynamic sound, inadequate DAC's, and low quality preamps that plague the majority of A/V receivers. Why is it so hard to find an A/V receiver that has the quality of seperates housed into one neat little metal box?  :scratch:   

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2011, 10:40 pm »
The remote on my Denon 4806 receiver is "the remote from hell".
It has a touch screen. ALL the important things are via the touch screen. Too bad the screen always turns off before i make the next selection!!
So IF I knew exactly every commandand where it is and the sequence of screens, i could get through the stuff using the remote. As it is, i usually get to the second or third screen and it turns off. So i have to start over. It is the most damned thing i have ever owned. total P.O.S. plus double P.I.T.A. all in one small device.  :deadhorse:

AVnerdguy

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm »
Devices that have one or two important and often used commands/controls that can only be activated by a remote and not a button on the front panel somewhere.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm »
The cost of equipment these days.

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:28 am »
crApple products.

Napple

guest61169

« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2011, 04:02 am »
Guys who use their equipment for 20 years and then expect to sell it for 2/3 of it's original price, with no box and no warranty.

Alpha10

« Reply #18 on: 20 Mar 2011, 09:19 am »
A preamp without a pass through for home theater use.

Tony

I am with you on that one. I just want a simple, high quality pre-amp to integrate with my HT. All my video sources go through the AV amp and all the audio go through the BDA so I only actually need one input on the pre-amp, why do I want to pay for 10-15 inputs not to be used. Arrrhhhhhh

Cheers

PRELUDE

« Reply #19 on: 20 Mar 2011, 01:10 pm »
One pain for life time without medication is called "BAD RECORDING"
How do you feel when your favourite album sounds like crap?
You go through this all pain save the money buy the good or best audio equipment and you only need to put a bad recorded album in the player then you realize that you did not do any thing at all.I know there are some audiophile recording at the moment right now but for the prices that they ask for,can you go through 1000 of them or you only have 20 of them and rest of the library is like good luck?
Then some manufactures try to sell you the best turntable or cd players for $80,000.Does  this make any sense?