Interesting info on Company that helped design BDP-1

whanafi

Was wandering through Computer Audiophile and came across this thread discussing a stand alone file player that sounded remarkably like the BDP-1.  Turns out that the Company was involved with Bryston in the design of the BDP-1.

The thread is here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Auraliti-PK100-File-Player-Review

You need to scroll through the thread to get to the post from the Company and its role/approach.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Interesting info on Company that helped design BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:03 pm »
Was wandering through Computer Audiophile and came across this thread discussing a stand alone file player that sounded remarkably like the BDP-1.  Turns out that the Company was involved with Bryston in the design of the BDP-1.

The thread is here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Auraliti-PK100-File-Player-Review

You need to scroll through the thread to get to the post from the Company and its role/approach.

Yes Ray and Demian from Auraliti were very helpful in the beginning of the project and I owe them a lot in making the BDP-1 a product. :thumb:

james

whanafi

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:10 pm »
Yes Ray and Demian from Auraliti were very helpful in the beginning of the project and I owe them a lot in making the BDP-1 a product. :thumb:

james

What I found amusing was the extensive list of things that their player is not, which suggests they are struggling with explaining the concept to customers as well.  You know what they say about pioneers - you can always recognize them from the arrows in their back...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:12 pm »
What I found amusing was the extensive list of things that their player is not, which suggests they are struggling with explaining the concept to customers as well.  You know what they say about pioneers - you can always recognize them from the arrows in their back...

Hi,

Yes but once customers hear it and play with it the light bulb goes off and they get it :thumb: and understand where it fits. 

james

whanafi

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:21 pm »
Hi,

Yes but once customers hear it and play with it the light bulb goes off and they get it :thumb: and understand where it fits. 

james
Fully agree.  If I had not been building computers for 25 years and  "rolling my own" digital music systems for 10 years, I would have been lusting after the first BDP-1 off the line. 

As it is, I have my network of Squeezebox players including the Classics, and the Boom, with my Bryston backbone (4BSST2, BP26M, and BDA-1) connected to a Transporter. 

I fall into the club that prefers to wander through a large collection rather than pick particular albums or playlists on a USB.  For that reason I connect the Squeezbox server and NAS as a source.

I have no doubt that people coming to digital music directly from CD's and LP's will prefer the BDP-1 which maintains the paradigm of a "Player"

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:35 pm »
You will find that the BDP-1 does a great job with large libraries, you just need a "smart" remote to navigate through it all.  Something like the mPad and mPod apps for the iPad or the iPhone/iPod touch devices is really good and as James have posted, there are lots of other interfaces as well.     I use a program called "rsync" to copy over new/modified files between my MAC and the BDP so it's rather a great solution for me.   

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:18 pm »
oooOOOooohhh... It has a DAC!!!
But no controls...

Napalm

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:44 pm »

I can understand the resistance of some manufacturers against equipping their (expensive) DACs with proper USB inputs/protocols, as by not being able to properly interface with a laptop they create the "need" for products like Bryston/Auraliti disc players.

Unfortunately in the long term it might kind of work against them as someone will eventually build affordable DACs with proper USB speeds and protocols.

http://www.joynetmall.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4190&osCsid=fcb6b37149336ff0d455a73c0671f5d9

Nap.

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:11 pm »
I can understand the resistance of some manufacturers against equipping their (expensive) DACs with proper USB inputs/protocols, as by not being able to properly interface with a laptop they create the "need" for products like Bryston/Auraliti disc players.

Unfortunately in the long term it might kind of work against them as someone will eventually build affordable DACs with proper USB speeds and protocols.

http://www.joynetmall.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=4190&osCsid=fcb6b37149336ff0d455a73c0671f5d9

Nap.

That will mate nicely with the BDP :)  Does appear to be an adaptive USB DAC vs asynchronous... Still not sure I like the idea of 44.1 being converted to 192 vs 176.4.

So even if USB DACs manufactures end up working out the various USB packet and clock regeneration jitter issues, you still have to deal with the overhead of configuring the computer: Select the correct USB port, playback software, remote control issues, power supply, remove unneeded software, processes, etc.    I rather enjoy the USB DAC manufactures and their guidelines now how to set up your computer for playback, it's almost as entertaining as Werd's comparison of mouse pads.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm »

Nap.

Are you still on that Onkyo crap ?  I have heard enough Onkyo to know what that's going sound like. Spoiler alert here -  i will tell ya what thats going to sound like. Its going to sound like another colored hifi japanese component. Its going to sound this side of a generic piece.

Nap, get some prestige, break open the wallet a bit and buy something that won't sound hifi. There is tons of gear out there. Buy something that holds a sonic identity to the creators view point. Anything other then the crap   you keep posting.

:lol:

BrysTony

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:31 am »
Are you still on that Onkyo crap ?  I have heard enough Onkyo to know what that's going sound like. Spoiler alert here -  i will tell ya what thats going to sound like. Its going to sound like another colored hifi japanese component. Its going to sound this side of a generic piece.

Nap, get some prestige, break open the wallet a bit and buy something that won't sound hifi. There is tons of gear out there. Buy something that holds a sonic identity to the creators view point. Anything other then the crap   you keep posting.

:lol:

Nap and Werd,
Just wondering:  Do you two know each other personally??  I enjoy your posts and don't want to see  :guns: or  :duel:.  Just want  :beer:  :D

Napalm

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2011, 04:21 am »
i will tell ya what thats going to sound like.

Yea, I saw that coming. But you forgot to mention THE CABLES!!!!!! and how they impregnate the sound with the creator's view!!!!!

Nap.  :lol: