Bryston Owner's Speakers

Mag

Re: Bryston Owner's Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:41 am »
I'll try to make this brief. :oops:

I was a surround sound enthusiast. I had purchased Paradigm Studio 100 v2, from reading reviews it was the best bang for my small budget. I decided to keep my monitor 9 which they were suppose to replace, because to my ears more speakers sounded better.

Originally I had the speakers placed on the short walls in my long narrow room. With the 100's in the front and 9's in rear. A problem however was the av/receiver and receivers I had couldn't power the 100's. I purchased a Yamaha av/receiver which powered everything. Finally when I had the funds I purchased a used 3B ST to power the 100's. My jaw hit the floor as the 100's came to life. It also took the strain off the av/receiver and the other speakers sounded better.

I listened in this front back configuration for some time. I became annoyed by the narrow sound, and realized from reading blogs of audiophiles that I wasn't getting a proper stereo image.

So I decided to try using the room length wise with floor standing speakers in the corners. Which was much better, but with the speakers so far apart there was this huge hole in the middle, which I solved by placing bookshelf speakers near the center of the room. Floor standers would have been too close due to the narrowness of the room.

Eventually I got around to placing all the speakers along the long wall, which had this awesome wall of sound effect. I had the problem of speaker localizing, so when the funds permitted I purchased another Bryston to keep the sound coherent along with keeping the same brand of speakers.

A good multi-channel pre-amp is out of my price range. So I have to make do with the Yamaha. By accident I sat on the remote activating the enhancer. To my surprise multi-channel stereo sounded better than multi-channel sacd, and I haven't looked back! :smoke:

Deftone

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2011, 01:08 am »
B&W 803 with 4bsst2

jaxwired

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2011, 01:21 am »
Dynaudio Contour S1.4 on Dyn stands.  Extremely good pairing.  Sometimes people think Dyns are dark, but not with an honest amp like Bryston.   Nicely transparent :)

robb

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2011, 03:01 am »
I am a big fan of Magnepans and Thiels. They provide a huge soundstage and excellent transient response. Currently I have the Thiel 2.4 mated with Bryston 4bsst2. Awesome sound. Outstanding transients.

Rob

Ron D

« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2011, 04:48 am »
Maggies 1.6's married to Bryston 7B-SST2 amps

larevoj

« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:40 am »
Haven't posted for some time as I've been "under the weather" because of an accident in early January (man, how we take the simplest things in life for granted until they become really hard/impossible to do).  Just now learning to walk again, and rekindling my interest in things audio.

Since you asked, my Bryston amps are mated with my nearly 15 year old Aerial 10t speakers.  I bought the speakers first, powering them initially with a 100 wpc amp (non-Bryston).  I thought they sounded pretty good

But when I teamed them with the big Bryston monoblocks I was practically floored.  Only then did I realize what these speakers are capable of.

IMO the Bryston/Aerial combo is a match made in heaven!

Thats a very nice pair of speakers you got with rave reviews  :thumb:

Take care and get well soon!

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/466/index.html

larevoj

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:43 am »
Dynaudio Contour S1.4 on Dyn stands.  Extremely good pairing.  Sometimes people think Dyns are dark, but not with an honest amp like Bryston.   Nicely transparent :)

Jaxwired - Looks like you are keeping the bed head board for better sound??  :)

larevoj

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:46 am »
I have Thiels in the main system (3.7s as the left and right).  Bryston seems to mate well with the Thiels.

Nice set up Phil...I have been wanting to ask what do the boards next to the speakers do??  :scratch:

larevoj

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2011, 07:52 am »
Revel 50a's,as I got them for 1/2 price when the F-52's came out and they sounded superb with no
subwoofer supporting them.
been thinking about auditioning PMC's and the Magnepan 3.7's(might be a tad big in my 12wX20 room).
Powered by Bryston 28's+Torus(s)bringing up the reserve :thumb:.

I am really quite jealous of the space you have!  :(

Yes, your JL sub will bland VERY well with Mag 3.7 - got to show us the pics when you do  :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #29 on: 17 Mar 2011, 08:00 am »
B&W 802D, HTM2D

Saw your setup in the Gallery - amazing  :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #30 on: 17 Mar 2011, 08:04 am »
Since about 50% of the development budget of new loudspeakers goes to the way they look, I built my own. For the same money I have 200% more quality. (I spent about $5000 on each, 10K in total)

I was in awe when I took a peak on the speaker you made  :o

What drivers are those??

larevoj

« Reply #31 on: 17 Mar 2011, 08:11 am »
All of my Bryston's have powered Paradigm Reference speakers for years however last month I started the process of changing over to the B&W 800 Series Diamonds. So my change over will involve:

Paradigm Reference Studio 100s v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamonds
Paradigm Reference Studio CC v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins HTM2 Diamond (change all ready complete)
Paradigm Reference Studio ADPs v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins 805 Diamonds
Paradigm Reference Studio 60s v2 -> Bowers and Wilkins 805, 804 or 803 Diamonds (still not sure which)

Cool...how the Diamonds sound vs Studio??  :D

larevoj

« Reply #32 on: 17 Mar 2011, 08:21 am »
I decided to go with the JBL Project Array 1400/28B SST² - BP 26 combination. I had auditioned many speakers over the span of a year and as soon as I heard the JBLs, I remembered thinking “wow, this is certainly different and I like it!” I knew that they were coming home with me that day and I had them driven by my Marantz amplifier. Approximately 6 months later, I purchased my most cherished Beasties and have not looked back. A horn based speaker is my little piece of Nirvana and with the beasties driving them, the music can either be as delicate and fragile as a butterfly landing on a flower’s petal or a freight train roaring past your home. Truly incredible.

Be well…

I am sure it rocks the foundation of your house! Its true...horns based design can be addictive  :D

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/ProductInformation/ProjectArrayLit.pdf

harbies

« Reply #33 on: 17 Mar 2011, 09:11 am »
B60R (old face plate) ---> Harbeth SHL5's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21595634@N05/5521488264/

Phil A

« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:26 am »
Nice set up Phil...I have been wanting to ask what do the boards next to the speakers do??  :scratch:

It's Owens Corning Fiberglass (I think 703) wrapped in Microfiber covers.  I made the stands from oak (they come with hooks to hang on a wall.  It's mainly for midrange area treatment.  I have a 19 foot high ceiling and I have a bunch of sound treatments (I use a one third octave RTA to treat my audiophelia - especially helpful during acute attacks :lol:).  I have a half dozen including a couple up high on ledge.  Helps prevent stuff from going back and forth off surfaces.  Here's the entrance to the room where you can see a couple of more.

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:30 am »
If you look closely (the flash and my poor photography obscures it) above the speaker you can see a strap on the cover.  There's a bunch of them so you can hang them on the wall.  In the corner you can see a couple of ASC tube traps and above them and behind the little white elephant is a barrel shaped diffuser (acousticsfirst.com) that helps with a bass problem around 125HX.

Ryanz

« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:13 am »
I have the Paradigm Studio 100 v.5. Originally I used Rotel's RB-1080 to power the 100's, I wasn't satisfied with the pairing. I then purchase the 4BSST2. It was like night and day. The Bryston brought the 100's to their full potential. The Studio's and the 4BSST2 are the perfect combination. :rock:

PRELUDE

« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:27 am »
This is a 3 way active system and the speakers are build by myself. The final box will be the same size but not the same looks.I am very busy so time is the only problem here right now.
The power amps are 2 4BSST and the pair 7BSST
4BSST drives the TWEETERS
4BSST drives the MIDRANGES
7BSST drives the WOOFERS
The active crossover has out board power supply and adjestable from 22hz to 22khz in 39 crossover points for each driver separate.

jaxwired

« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:28 am »
Nice. But wait until Werd notices the Panamax  :icon_lol:

Actually, that's an old pic.  But the panamax did a fine job with all but the amp.  My amp was always wall fed. 

But now, the panamax belongs to another happy owner.  A factory boxed Running Springs Haley is awaiting service.

Jaxwired - Looks like you are keeping the bed head board for better sound??  :)

:), well actually I don't have the headboard up anymore.  I don't live in that house anymore.  Moved across the country since that pic was snapped.  Soon I will have new digs and a bit more elbow room. 

95Dyna

« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:32 am »
21 year old Infinity 9 Kappas.  Still crazy after all these years..........VPI Classic, Esoteric X-05, BP26, 7B SST2's,  WireWoorld Silver Eclipse SC's, Torus CS15.  In the lower right is mighty Samson who guards my gear all day long when I'm not home (all 20 lbs. of him).