Lowtherhaus and Lowenbraü April 16th

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Lowtherhaus and Lowenbraü April 16th
« Reply #80 on: 18 Apr 2011, 12:59 am »
I did do some listening with the Grados today and I really like them. The extended shells become a circular "U cabinet". That gives a bit of warmth that is nice and the bass is better. Maybe the dynamat helps reduce frame vibrations? 

To be honest I haven't used these cans for some time because I never found them that engaging and had moved on to newer phones. But after hearing them this morning, I find them very lively and open sounding.  I expect to use them on a regular basis now, it's that much better. Very cool upgrade.

Wow, impressive. I've been wanting to hear what headphone have to offer for quite some time (I've never heard a pair of headphones).
Although, with the investment in speakers that I have, my wife has made it perfectly clear that me wanting headphones, after the expenditure for what I've got may not be a wise choice.
I think I'm unclear of her meaning.  :lol:

But anyway, yea....I'd love to hear a before and after Grado mod, and would have loved to hear what Ed did to yours. There just isn't enough hours in the day.

Bob

youravhandyman

« Reply #81 on: 18 Apr 2011, 02:02 am »
I want to thank Mark and Randy too.  I had a great time talking to everyone about everything and nothing.  The day was like one huge episode of Seinfeld.  Great times.  It was great for me to put a face to the screennames.  Looking forward to the next event.

Matt

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #82 on: 18 Apr 2011, 02:16 am »
Bob...tell your wife there is a complete kit over at head-fi for $115 to start out with stock SR60's and then mod them up on your own...its not hard at all...here is the link and yep I'm the seller....LOL....
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/549832/grado-mod-kit-grado-sr60-cocobolo-shells#post_7412337

Mark-I'm really happy they sound good, they have every seriously good mod that can be done that I know of to date without taking the actual driver out of the tray and "liberating" them is where you can easily brick them, I don't like listening to bricks!!! They are seriously rolled off...LOL....enjoy and thanks for the Glue tip!!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 18 Apr 2011, 02:26 pm »
 :nono: No way Jose! Homey ain't gonna play 'dat!

Naw, I'll stick with my big ol speakers, and save the can for they other guys.
Thanks anyway though. I got your PM, but I'll pass for now.  :wink:

Bob

Blackmore

« Reply #84 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm »
Did anybody lose a "Accu??? Eagle"  pedometer?  I found one on Sunday.  Let me know and I'll get it to you.

Mark

kentj1948

« Reply #85 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:45 pm »
Many thanks to Mark and Randy for a great time Saturday.  The music was great and the company was better.  Hope we can all get together again soon.  Kent

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:54 pm »
Did anybody lose a "Accu??? Eagle"  pedometer?
May have been one of the residents that live down on the first floor.  :lol:  :icon_twisted:

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #87 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:19 pm »

This was the first time that I got to hear full-range drivers like the Lowthers. For me, the sound of the Lowthers is completely different than any of my previous listening experiences. Here's another thing I love about "Audio," there's so many different styles and textures to listening to music.

I would really love to spend more time with the Yamamoto gear. It seemed pretty special to me.

Din, it was great meeting you and Rafi and was one of the highlights of the day for me...

I thank you for the kinds words on my work as it means allot...

I agree totally on the Lowther remarks... in my 25 years of  hifi, there is what I consider a typical "hifi" sound that is ingrained into you over time... some times you come across a loudspeaker that is above the rest and is truly fantastic but is still nothing more then "hifi"

When I heard Scott's for the first time and then Mark's, it wasn't hifi playback as it was a performance.. and the emotion it provided was something that I have not really heard in most rigs... sure it takes more then a few songs to understand.. hell maybe even a few sessions... but once you acclimate you start to understand what I am talking about.. personally for me I'll never go back..

And you need to go back to Mark's after everybody left and it was just Mark, Matt and myself, Mark swapped out the old 300b's to a new pair and all the magic came back.. not forward or edgy like it was all day... it's something to experience IMO... 

MerRev

« Reply #88 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:54 pm »
Randy and Mark,

the GAS group really rose to the occasion on this excellent party.  Thanks for hosting such a great event.

Randy- I didn't know quite what to expect but have to say I really dug your room.  Sure the fit in finish make most of us envious and especially considering it took you all of 2 months to complete it.   :bowdown:
But, having said that and driving the Lowthers with solid state and blending them with the 2 Dyn drivers was quite impressive.  They do offer a very engaging presentation and one far different than most are used to.  I would really like to make the trip out West again and bring some toys to play with. 

Mark- I've been over now at least 5 times and can only recall 1/3 of what you have going on over there.  We had quite a group so listening took a bit of a back seat to just enjoying fellow audio geeks company.  Mark's room does blend quite well with the big Consonance M2's providing the foundation. 

Thank you both again for opening your house up to the rest of us.  Listening this past weekend really renewed my interest in just how special Lowthers make music.   :green:

Joe_K

« Reply #89 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:09 pm »
Thanks Randy and Mark for another great get-together! It's always good to see everyone and hear some different gear.
JK

"Did anybody lose a "Accu??? Eagle"  pedometer?  I found one on Sunday.  Let me know and I'll get it to you."
Yes, it's mine. Don't know how I lost it with the safety clip on it?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #90 on: 7 May 2011, 12:57 pm »
Any updates on this?

Thanks,
Lin

Tentatively looking at the 28th but still need to coordinate some things.  Stay tuned.