"Brick and Mortar" Music Stores: Extinction on the horizon ?

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
A quick trip over to my local “brick and mortar” music store today certainly became an interesting outing and I could not help wondering how much longer these stores can survive.

My preferred “modus operandi” for music purchases is mostly online or at used CD stores and I experience little difficulties locating the music genre that I enjoy. What was interesting at the store today was the pricing. Normally, I notice a price increase around the beginning of November and then a price reduction near the end of January. The prices still seem to be at the inflated Christmas levels. Understandably, it does cost more to “keep the lights on” at businesses these days, but they must also understand that individual’s discretionary income is also greatly diminishing.

I ended up purchasing a few selections and had to order a few more; 4 to 8 weeks for delivery was the reply. I was wondering on the trip home why I should bother purchasing music this way. After all, I can blissfully purchase my music online from the comfort of my most secluded and darkened basement; far removed from the suffocating mob.

Music selections are much more diverse online and the pricing and shipping charges are more reasonable these days. I recently ordered 11 Cds from Projekt: Darkwave, the shipping cost was around $10.00 and delivery time is normally a couple of weeks. It looks like online ordering is perhaps the best way to go.

Be well…

Napalm

For now you buy CDs because the quality is supposedly better than iTunes.

But just wait until the mainstream "good quality" music format becomes files in 24/96 or something like that. Apple has started working on it. At that point there will be little reason to buy physical CDs.

These guys are doomed.

Nap.

sfraser

Yep, went into the CD Warehouse before Xmas looking for the Wingless Angels. The guy could not even find it in his system. So I ordered it online, Albums 1 & 2 delivered to the house a few days later for $22. Found out after I ordered it, I could have downloaded it immediately, but by that time it was too late.

On the weekend i was reading the latest Relix magazine, they mentioned a San Fran group called the Mother Hips. Sounded interesting so last night i grabbed a illegal FLAC version of one of there CD's from a torrent. Like it so much I downloaded 2 more albums from there WEB page  today for $25. Told my friend about them and he bought one too! Needless to say, other than shopping for presents, i won't poking my head in CD Warehouse much anymore.

HsvHeelFan

My local Barnes and Noble has the best CD collection in town.  If they don't have what I want in store, they're more than happy to order and have it sent directly to the house.  Typical delivery is 2 - 3 days.

I also get online and in-store discount coupons via email that I can use for anything in the store.

Typically, if I'm going to order something that I know they wont' have, I find the Artist, Title, Record Label, but all they really need is the UPC code to order.  I can get that from their online store or from Amazon.

I tend to find the info online and order it in the store because I want them to know that I value the Bricks and Mortar place that they've got.

HsvHeelFan

Calypte

My local Barnes and Noble has the best CD collection in town.  If they don't have what I want in store, they're more than happy to order and have it sent directly to the house.  Typical delivery is 2 - 3 days.
My local B&N has drastically downsized their CD section, all genres.  If yours is still worth visiting, just wait.  They have a surprise coming for you.

skunark

It is rather depression to see these stores dwindle, stores that sell records are still seem to be doing well, but I have noticed a price increase on records as well.

What's also alarming is to see the big-box stores shrink their floor space to just one or two isles and only sell higher demand albums.   I will chalk that up as a little bit of karma.

But it's not just music, you can roll movies and software as well. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
I have a one word answer:  YES.

Dave

Ryanz

I am a sole "Brick & Mortar" buyer. I can't remember the last time I purchased music online. I have one store that I go to and they have very reasonable pricing. I buy most of my music used, but when they don't have what I want in the used section I order it and get the CD in 3 days or less, everytime. And I'll admit, the import CD's are a bit expensive (Thanks Nap :duh:) but I'm willing to pay the extra money with a locally owned company. And my answer is sadly, yes.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Buy new? no way! I am a used shopaholic.
I have four great stores within a comfortable drive. (and a dozen other not so great stores I stay away from)
I usually go about once a month to three of them, and every other week to the fourth.
Just today i went out to one and spent four hours there and scoured the used bargin bins.
Todays haul:
(and YES I am bragging so you all will be drooling. and then I get to gloat too!    :drool:)
Yaz You and me both $2 CD
The Charlatans UK (1995) $2 CD
Rachel Sage The Blistering Sun $1 CD
Bonnie Raitt Road Tested $3 2CDs
Branford Marsalis Crazy People $1 CD
(from a Mojo  magazine) Let it Be Revisited $3 CD (other groups playiing the Beatles album songs)
(from a Mojo magazine) Abbey Road Now $3 CD same deal, I already had the Mojo White album 'covers' and love it)
Eurythmics Touch $2 CD
Aztec Camera Love $2 CD
P.J.Harvey Is This Desire? $2 CD
Peter Case Beeline $2 CD
The American Analog Set Through the 90's $2 CD
Robin Pluer with Mrs Fun: Les Chansons du Crepuscule $2 CD
(Mrs Fun are eclectic and ..fun. I first heard them from buying on a whim one of thier albums, and liked it)
Ani DiFranco Evolve $2 CD
Charlie Parker Bird at the Apollo $1 LP
Jane Siberry The Walking $4 LP
The Celibate Rifles Blind Ear $4 LP
Roxette Look Sharp! $2 LP
Benny Goodman Small groups 1941-1945 $1 LP
Janet Jackson Control maxi-single $1 LP
And all the Lps are VG+ and CDs are clean. (And I get an additional 10% discount...and if i don't like something I can return it for a refund....)
This was a nice haul for that store, slightly better than average.
Anyway, I also buy stuff i really want from Amazon, used. I buy only the cheap stuff. (I figure why pay a bundle when i just might find it in a discount bin?)
Yesterdays mail brought: Servotron:No room for Humans. $5 shipped.
So for USED stores I think there will continue to be a future. For new retail outlets not much.

PRELUDE

A quick trip over to my local “brick and mortar” music store today certainly became an interesting outing and I could not help wondering how much longer these stores can survive.

My preferred “modus operandi” for music purchases is mostly online or at used CD stores and I experience little difficulties locating the music genre that I enjoy. What was interesting at the store today was the pricing. Normally, I notice a price increase around the beginning of November and then a price reduction near the end of January. The prices still seem to be at the inflated Christmas levels. Understandably, it does cost more to “keep the lights on” at businesses these days, but they must also understand that individual’s discretionary income is also greatly diminishing.

I ended up purchasing a few selections and had to order a few more; 4 to 8 weeks for delivery was the reply. I was wondering on the trip home why I should bother purchasing music this way. After all, I can blissfully purchase my music online from the comfort of my most secluded and darkened basement; far removed from the suffocating mob.

Music selections are much more diverse online and the pricing and shipping charges are more reasonable these days. I recently ordered 11 Cds from Projekt: Darkwave, the shipping cost was around $10.00 and delivery time is normally a couple of weeks. It looks like online ordering is perhaps the best way to go.

Be well…
www.metaldisc.com :thumb:

Laundrew

"...(and YES I am bragging so you all will be drooling. and then I get to gloat too!    :drool:)..."

Hmm... I also find myself somewhat jealous :wink: :D

Awesome prices Elizabeth  :thumb:

Be well...

Phil A

I don't think they are long for this world.  They may hang on in certain geographic areas here and there but they are pretty much dead where I am and I am not in a small market.  Since the Tower Records store closed, Borders and Best Buy have both shrunk their music selection.  I just ordered a couple of things on Amazon one of which I would have gotten a month ago but only a few Best Buy stores got the release (and not the 3 closer stores to me) and I did not get a chance to look at Borders.  When Tower used to have a sale, I'd bunch a bunch of things, sometimes including an item or two not on sale as the selection was great and sometimes I could not find all the hi-rez discs (SACD and DVD-A) at one site.  I used to go to Borders more often when I had a Borders Rewards coupon (and of course Borders will be closing at least some stores) and probably 9 of the last 10 times in the local store I could not find a thing I wanted.  Years back (like probably 8-10) Blockbuster had the technology in place and ready to go for one to walk into the local store and buy downloads and print out art world.  The record cos. not wanting to disturb their distribution chain put a stop to it and look what that has done for music sales.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Borders... I used to go to Borders to buy DVDs with coupons etc. I would look for Cds there and never could find anthing I wanted in the music section. Same at Best Buy, nothing in the music area that I would buy. I guess my take on what i want and what they 'think' I want are like the Venus and Mars thing. no connection.
I do believe the good times i have finding stuff will end. Once the flood of discarded CDs dries up.. CD prices will rise. But it may take awhile. I give it three years..maybe five before used CD scarcity becomes a reality. Right now it's a record flood of used CDs in the market. A buyers' market. And I am buying!

Calypte

I like brick 'n' mortar.  I've never really recovered from the demise of Tower Records.  I like browsing and seeing new releases of which I was unaware until I saw them in the rack.  My buying was always a mix between wanting specific reviewed items and impulse purchases.  My buying is mostly classical, which I have to do online these days, but I buy a lot less than I did even five years ago.  The better online purveyors of classical assume that you know exactly what you want when you enter their sites.  They have nothing equivalent to an end cap of new releases.  Releases come and go, and often I don't even know about them until they're OP and then I have to hunt online for them.  A half-century ago, I had my choice of stores in San Diego and L.A. with good classical sections and even listening booths!.  Now there's nothing, zero, not even a good pop store for my occasional forays into jazz and big-band, and only one or two stores within 120 miles of my current home in Riverside Co. that would be worth visiting.  The closest good classical store is Canterbury Records in Pasadena, about 100 miles and two hours away.  I'm starting to look at downloads and DACs, but it looks to me like it's mainly for low-rez, and the hardware costs a fortune, and the set-up is for certified network engineers.  Maybe untrue, but that's what I see.  Several years ago I read an article that the whole music industry is geared toward getting the attention of the hordes of people who buy ONE super hit once every year or two rather than the few who buy maybe $150 at a shot several times a year.

Answer to the OP's question: brick 'n' mortar is almost extinct now, at least for me.  I'm glad I experienced the golden age of brick 'n' mortar.  I didn't know how good I had it and how quickly it would disappear.

mjosef

I visited Ameoba in Hollywood LA a month or so ago, talk about massive selection...browsed about 10 hours over two days and spent about $350+., mostly in the used bins. Hands on has no equal, never know what you might chance upon...online shopping consume much more time to cover the same ground and requires some knowledge of what you are looking for.
That store was super busy, and the service top notch.
Reading the last rites for b&m record stores seem premature, they will still be around for many a year.

Calypte

Amoeba survives because they're about the only one left.

Laundrew

Just as a follow-up, I received my music order from Projekt: Darkwave today and true to form, shipping time was around the 10 day mark. For the all inclusive purchase price of $86.00, I received 12 new compact disks, one of which was a “freebee” for customer appreciation. HMV's idea of customer appreciation was trying to sell me an obscure DVD movie at the check-out counter for a "special price" that no one wanted in the first place. Another factor that I never considered before was a very weak US dollar; any bets on a $1.10 by this summer? I would say that the wait is definitely worth it for online ordering and an added bonus is easily locating the music that I enjoy.

Be well...

Phil A

Amoeba survives because they're about the only one left.

I've never even heard of them.  Is it a west coast chain?

Mike Nomad

B & M aren't going away completely, they are going niche. Here in Houston, there a few stores I get stuff from on a regular basis.

B & M will survive because there is a certain segment of the music buying public that must have the tactile component. The resurgence of vinyl sales is evidence of that.

I can see myself getting less music from a B & M: More Hi-Rez content, along with labels who put stuff out exclusively online (The Grateful Dead, for example) is becoming available.

Calypte

Amoeba: Yes, not just West Coast, but California.  Amoeba has three stores: S.F., Berkeley and L.A. (Hollywood).