"Brick and Mortar" Music Stores: Extinction on the horizon ?

Calypte

@ Mike Nomad: There aren't enough people who want the "tactile" part to support brick 'n' mortar music stores, as Tower Records found out the hard way.  Borders (now bankrupt) reduced their music section to near nothing, as did B&N.  Even with books & coffee they couldn't justify the floor space for music.

PRELUDE

When it is all about music,I realy do not care about where I am buying from and it is used or new but my main problem is I cannot find everything that I like in one place so I have to look around a lot.But for sure I want the cd in my music library just like books.I have never down load any thing in my life. :thumb:

Mike Nomad

@ Mike Nomad: There aren't enough people who want the "tactile" part to support brick 'n' mortar music stores, as Tower Records found out the hard way.  Borders (now bankrupt) reduced their music section to near nothing, as did B&N.  Even with books & coffee they couldn't justify the floor space for music.

What you and I are talking about are two different things: Your examples are of chain store operations. In that respect, we are in agreement. I have about 10 years in the wholesale and retail record businesses. I watched Best Buy start the beginning of the end.

The three stores I am talking about, in Houston, are not chain stores. Rather, they are stand alone (Mom & Pop) operations.

Cactus Music & Video came back from the dead, because there is enough demand for the tactile experience. Quinn specializes in the local, the off beat, and some of the weird (and he does vinyl).

Joel's is exclusively a classical shop.

The reason All Records (actually does CDs & DVDs as well) has been around for something like 20 years is because of the selection, and Fred (the owner) is a real nice guy, who gives great customer service.

They don't sell the latest Britney Beiber record, which is what most people want. Which is why they are successful niche operations.

Calypte

@Mike Nomad: You are lucky in Houston :)

(added): Other than one or two high-end audio palaces, I haven't seen new vinyl, anywhere, in 20 years.

Mike Nomad

@Mike Nomad: You are lucky in Houston :)

(added): Other than one or two high-end audio palaces, I haven't seen new vinyl, anywhere, in 20 years.

Yeah, the music selection in town definitely doesn't suck. To wander a bit...

I go to the Louisiana Music Factory (a Mom & Pop) every time I'm in New Orleans. Some new vinyl, lots of old vinyl, and plenty of CDs & DVDs. The store is mostly devoted to music from the region, and otherwise leans a lot towards vintage jazz and blues.

I get to Nashville once a year, and always stop at Ernest Tubb's Records. Needless to say, they have both kinds of music: Country and Western. I think they still have some 8-tracks for sale, in the original shrink-rap. More Bear Family box sets than I've ever seen anywhere.

Both the Factory and Tubb's have an on-line presence and do a big overseas business.

servingko

I gave up on the local music/movie store(s) long ago.  I found it to be a frustrating and time consuming process that typically ended with a conversation around ordering it and waiting a couple of weeks.  I would always politely reply that I can order it myself for less, pay no tax, and have it in a couple of days. 

In fact I purchase pretty much everything online these days from a couple of water heaters, my last 4 cars, audio/video equipment, clothing, outdoor gear, a piano, bicycles, food, you name it.  It all gets delivered right to my door, or at least in front of the house, at a lower price with convenience to boot.  Now if someone would just come and put gas in my cars at home for a $0.10/gal discount.........

Mike Nomad

I gave up on the local music/movie store(s) long ago.  I found it to be a frustrating and time consuming process that typically ended with a conversation around ordering it and waiting a couple of weeks.  I would always politely reply that I can order it myself for less, pay no tax, and have it in a couple of days. 

In fact I purchase pretty much everything online these days from a couple of water heaters, my last 4 cars, audio/video equipment, clothing, outdoor gear, a piano, bicycles, food, you name it.  It all gets delivered right to my door, or at least in front of the house, at a lower price with convenience to boot.  Now if someone would just come and put gas in my cars at home for a $0.10/gal discount.........

Yeah, the "we can order it for you" rap has always annoyed me. I go to music stores as part of driving to other locations in the area to get other things. If the music store has what I want, great. If not, there is that Internet Thingy you have so richly tapped. I'm a believer in Spending Dollars Locally. Trouble is, it seems to be increasingly difficult...

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Another perfect example for my online ordering bliss. I very much enjoy following the posts on “What are you currently listening to?” Prelude’s posts always seem to reach out and peak my curiosity for some unexplainable reason and this was certainly the case with Draconian this evening. A quick trip over to Playlist to audition their music and then it was off to CD Universe to order 3 of Draconian’s compact disks.

:thumb:

Be well...

PRELUDE

Another perfect example for my online ordering bliss. I very much enjoy following the posts on “What are you currently listening to?” Prelude’s posts always seem to reach out and peak my curiosity for some unexplainable reason and this was certainly the case with Draconian this evening. A quick trip over to Playlist to audition their music and then it was off to CD Universe to order 3 of Draconian’s compact disks.

:thumb:

Be well...
Hi Laundrew,The DRACONIAN cd was recommended to me by the guy in the record store when he saw me I was looking for TRISTANIA then I just got into it and I hope you like it.I always said that the best part of this hobby is to find good music and the most important to share it with others.I was wondering,Did you look to the link that I sent it for you? www.metaldisc.com :thumb:

Laundrew

Hi Laundrew,The DRACONIAN cd was recommended to me by the guy in the record store when he saw me I was looking for TRISTANIA then I just got into it and I hope you like it.I always said that the best part of this hobby is to find good music and the most important to share it with others.I was wondering,Did you look to the link that I sent it for you? www.metaldisc.com :thumb:

Hello PRELUDE  :D

I did have a look at the metaldisc site, it certainly has a lot of content. Interesting about the comment with respect to Tristania as that is what I thought when I first listened to Draconian on Playlist.

Be well...

mkaiser

A quick trip over to Playlist to audition their music and then it was off to CD Universe to order 3 of Draconian’s compact disks.

Gee, that's too bad Laundrew, i have Draconian's entire anthology for sale. I was into that band for some time. Also check out Music Stack for hard to get music from around the world.

http://www.musicstack.com/

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack this thread. Just nice when people have common music tastes.

Mark

Laundrew

Gee, that's too bad Laundrew, i have Draconian's entire anthology for sale. I was into that band for some time. Also check out Music Stack for hard to get music from around the world.

http://www.musicstack.com/

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack this thread. Just nice when people have common music tastes.

Mark

Thanks for the link anyway Mark  :thumb:

Be well...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
I support my local independent stores. I mostly buy used. Especially vinyl.

PRELUDE

I buy my music all over when I can see they have the artist that I like.
But there is a problem. The local store that knows me very well and also,he knows that what type of music I like try to jack up the prices on the bands that I like.All the cd,s that he has are priced from $3.00 to $5.00 but he is charging me the used cd,s that I like from $8.00 to $10.00.I understand that it is still cheaper then the new ones,but why the other cd,s are not the same price.
Every time I go there I spend about $100.00 to $200.00 and this is based on every month for last three years and send a lot of customers for him too.I am not sure If I would like to go back to his store.

Laundrew

Every time I go there I spend about $100.00 to $200.00 and this is based on every month for last three years and send a lot of customers for him too.I am not sure If I would like to go back to his store.

With the amount of music you annually purchase from this store, they should be giving you a customer appreciation discount PRELUDE. Your anecdote reminds me of a small town we used to live in. On the military pay weeks, the local grocery store would raise their prices. Mrs. Laundrew and I started shopping in Halifax, which was a little over an hour away and we ended up saving quite a bit of money.

Be well...