HT3 or Watt/Puppy 7

vermont99

HT3 or Watt/Puppy 7
« on: 28 Feb 2011, 08:48 pm »
Has anybody compared the HT3 with the Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 7 there seems to be some pretty good deals on the Watt/Puppies out there, I have listened to the HT3’s but not the watt/puppies I aim very close to ordering the HT3’s just want to be sure. 

charmerci

Re: HT3 or Watt/Puppy 7
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:27 pm »
Well, if you're looking a deal -  this guy

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85224.0

wants to sell HT3's and a Large center -

and another guy in the tread just wants the HT1's.

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:45 pm »
The good news is that you can't go wrong with either speaker.

Now to play devils advocate: I seriously doubt that anyone here has owned both products. So the bad news is that you may have trouble finding an honest assessment.

mark funk

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm »
How old are Watt/Puppy 7s? Are they still made?

:smoke:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:36 pm »
Has anybody compared the HT3 with the Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 7 there seems to be some pretty good deals on the Watt/Puppies out there, I have listened to the HT3’s but not the watt/puppies I aim very close to ordering the HT3’s just want to be sure.

Before buying used Watt Puppies, check out the Wilson Sophia 2's (there are usual a good number of them on the used market due to the Sophia 3's now being out) first.  Much better all-around speaker than the Watt Puppies.  Not sure I would take the Sophia 2's over the HT3's, but that is just my personal opinion.

What is your budget and what are you looking to get from your speaker purchase?

George

George

vermont99

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:02 am »
Watt Puppy 7 has been discontinued and replaced with the 8's. They are used but they seem just about new, one still has the plastic warping on it and come with all boxes and instructions what's nice they are with in driving distance so no shipping. I was all set to order the HT3's when I came across Wilson's WP7's that's why I am asking if any body has auditioned them I know the HT3's will be hard to beat. They listed for $24500 new and now you can find them for under 9K with that kind of price drop are they really that good?
Charmerci thanks for the link but all I need now a good R/L channel and maybe a matching center later.

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:12 am »
And the 8s have been replaced with the Sashas. 
The 7s are a great speaker as well as the Sophia 2.
Never heard the Salks so can't compare but the Wilsons are mighty good!

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:14 am »

Art_Chicago

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:28 am »
Watt Puppy 7 has been discontinued and replaced with the 8's. They are used but they seem just about new, one still has the plastic warping on it and come with all boxes and instructions what's nice they are with in driving distance so no shipping. I was all set to order the HT3's when I came across Wilson's WP7's that's why I am asking if any body has auditioned them I know the HT3's will be hard to beat. They listed for $24500 new and now you can find them for under 9K with that kind of price drop are they really that good?
Charmerci thanks for the link but all I need now a good R/L channel and maybe a matching center later.

but 9K puts you into the Salk SS10 category (10 grand in a "standard", but still beautiful, veneer)... I would audition them and HT3s, and this kind of investment is worth taking a trip to Jim's place. Just my 2 cents

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2011, 02:11 am »
but 9K puts you into the Salk SS10 category (10 grand in a "standard", but still beautiful, veneer)... I would audition them and HT3s, and this kind of investment is worth taking a trip to Jim's place. Just my 2 cents

If you budget is in the $9k range, a used pair of Vany 5A's is possible.  They are a significant step up from the HT3's in every aspect (I moved from the HT3's to the 5A's).  This is no knock against the HT3's, as I think the 5A's are better than many of the speakers out there (including some that cost a lot, lot, more).

Not having heard the SoundScapes, I can't comment on how the 5A's compare to them.

George

fsimms

« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:09 pm »
They are a significant step up from the HT3's in every aspect

“Every”!?  They are a wonderful speaker if you like the polypropylene sound (I do).  They are hard to set up properly to sound their best.  When they are set up properly they sound glorious.

Bob

vermont99

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:16 pm »
The Watt Puppies are still on Audiogon but I think I will stay with my original plain and order the HT3’s for the same money I can get the HT3’s and the HTC. I have auditioned the HT3’s and felt out of the 5 or six speakers I have auditioned (one was twice the price of the HT3) the HT3 seemed to me the best over all and should work well in my room. I want to thank every one for there advice.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:38 pm »
“Every”!?  They are a wonderful speaker if you like the polypropylene sound (I do).  They are hard to set up properly to sound their best.  When they are set up properly they sound glorious.

Bob

Yes, every area of sonic spectrum to my ears - no exaggeration. 

Now, the 5A's cost 2x-3x more than the HT3's and are definitely more time consuming to setup, but their performance is worth it to me.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:39 pm »
The Watt Puppies are still on Audiogon but I think I will stay with my original plain and order the HT3’s for the same money I can get the HT3’s and the HTC. I have auditioned the HT3’s and felt out of the 5 or six speakers I have auditioned (one was twice the price of the HT3) the HT3 seemed to me the best over all and should work well in my room. I want to thank every one for there advice.

I am sure you will be very happy - good decision.

George

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2011, 06:55 pm »

Good choice.  I personally don't like the Watt Puppy series, but YMMV.  The Sophia's are much better, as zybar mentioned.  I'd still take the HT3's, though. 

There was a pair of Vandersteen 5A's on the gon but they sold.  To this day that is still one of my top 5 speakers, with the Vandersteen model 7 being numero uno.  Two Vandersteen's in the top five for me!

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2011, 07:54 pm »
I've heard the WPs a few times and think they stink, to be frank.  They are the most anemic speakers I've heard in their price class.  Its like the designer had never heard of baffle step compensation.   :scratch:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:23 pm »
I've heard the WPs a few times and think they stink, to be frank.  They are the most anemic speakers I've heard in their price class.  Its like the designer had never heard of baffle step compensation.   :scratch:

According to Stereophile, the problem seems to be more of a woofer-mid crossover phase problem that produces a dip at 400 Hz, rather than a lack of baffle step compensation per se.  Aside from that glitch, the 7's measure pretty evenly.  http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-wattpuppy-7-loudspeaker-measurements
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2011, 09:35 pm by DMurphy »

ratso

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2011, 08:56 pm »
i'm really starting to believe that jim should raise his prices by 3 or 4x the current amount so people will think they sound better. of course, that's because i already own my own pair.

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2011, 09:30 pm »
From those graphs it looks like they roll off pretty sharply below 50hz, and of course, the aforementioned 400hz dip.  I thought they subjectively sounded very bright and anemic.   Given that they were originally designed to be studio monitor speakers, it would seem to make some sense, but not really a pair of speakers I'd want for home music listening. 

vermont99

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2011, 10:48 pm »
Well I just spoke to Jim and ordered the Salk Sound HT3 with a HTC center did not decided on a finish yet wife wants some shade of black to go with her African décor in the entertainment room, any ideas? The HT3's will place my PSB Synchrony Two L/R and Center which are very good sounding speaker the XPA-1's really woke up the PSB's and that’s what got me the idea to upgrade. The HT3's should sound great powered by the XPA-1's now comes the waiting.  :) :D