Lets Talk......Baseball !!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Lets Talk......Baseball !!
« Reply #40 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:16 pm »
Opening season games start tomorrow on ESPN, starting with the Detroit Tigers @ New York Yankees. Gee, let me think for a microsecond who I'll be rooting for,,,  :eyebrows:

Followed by the San Diego Padres @ St Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants @ Los Angeles Dodgers. It's spring baby, enjoy the shows.  :thumb:

Oh, btw, the National Weather Service has posted a Winter Storm Watch for all of Vermont for all of friday from a large potential Nor'easter storm now located in the Carolina region with a projected 7-14" of wet heavy snow. Spring?? No wonder the Boston Red Sox will be opening their season friday down in Texas.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2011, 05:20 pm by satfrat »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: Opening Day is just around the corner: time to prognoticate!
« Reply #41 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:20 pm »
Jason Stark picks the Red Sox to win.  Who do you pick?

+1 :thumb:

Beat the yanks - puh-lease - how's that Joba Chamberlain experiment coming along?

richidoo

« Reply #42 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:34 pm »
Go Sox!

My oldest son is on his first travel team this year, ~100 games plus as many practices. Then plays street ball with friends and every other minute with MLB on PS3 and watches Sox and BB news on TV. He says Sox are the best team in baseball... on paper.  My other son is still in rec ball, so another 20 games there. So I'll get all I can handle. 

Usually we go see Boston @  Baltimore for one game each year. Total blast!  I used to feel bad when the Sox fans were so loud and overpower the home fans. Then I learned that every club loves when NY or Boston come to play, they make a LOT of money!!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #43 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:48 pm »
I am there (Fenway South) on April 26th for the first Sox visit  -- 2nd row by the first base.  :dance: I am somewhat excited for the O's line up too.  Reynolds went to my college. 

twitch54

« Reply #44 on: 2 Apr 2011, 06:05 pm »
Utley and Lidge:  Ominous beginning for the Phillies.  :violin:

While true, I for one feel it's time for the some of the young guns to step up.......Mayberry, Orr, etc.

Yesterdays opening game was classic come from behind Phillies baseball, my fingernails don't have a chance (again) this year !

Like all the ball clubs health is the beig concern and if the Phillies can keep their rotation healthy they should win the East going away...........162 games is a long season !

kingdeezie

« Reply #45 on: 2 Apr 2011, 06:36 pm »
While true, I for one feel it's time for the some of the young guns to step up.......Mayberry, Orr, etc.

Yesterdays opening game was classic come from behind Phillies baseball, my fingernails don't have a chance (again) this year !

Like all the ball clubs health is the beig concern and if the Phillies can keep their rotation healthy they should win the East going away...........162 games is a long season !

What an awesome 9th inning!

I think yesterday was a perfect example of how, when the team gets back to basics and smart baseball, they can generate offense very well. Everyone was a threat that last inning, and they just all fed off of each other.

Really excited to watch this season play out. Go Phils!

jackman

« Reply #46 on: 3 Apr 2011, 04:54 pm »
I hate the Phillies but they have a Monster pitching staff this year. Unless they have major injuries they are going to be tough.

The White Sox are looking good so far. I know it's just Cleveland but the Sox have some big bats in that lineup. If Peavy comes back strong, it could be an interesting season in Chicago.

twitch54

« Reply #47 on: 3 Apr 2011, 07:22 pm »
I hate the Phillies

I'm curious........why ?? good Lord it's not like they have been a Dynasty or anything ...LOL !

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 5 Apr 2011, 01:25 am »
Well the opening weekend is in the book; and for the most part it was quite enjoyable for me. 

The Yanks won their home opener and took 2 out of 3 from the Tigers.  Meanwhile, the Red Sux got CRUSHED by the Rangers and were swept in a very embarrassing fashion.  Even better, all the Red Sox fans here in the heart of Red Sox nation are freaking out and already losing it!!  Amazing how impacted they are by a simple bad showing for 3 games out of 162.

I am looking forward to Friday when I get to see the Yanks play the Sox at their home opener.  I expect to get some weird looks as I will be wearing a Yankee hat and Red Sox jersey due to losing a bet during the off season.  Assuming that I don't burst into flames upon donning enemy colors, it should be fun and hopefully the Yanks will spoil the Sox homecoming.

Good to have baseball back.

George

Berto

« Reply #49 on: 5 Apr 2011, 02:38 am »
As another Yanks fan, always a beautiful thing to see a one run lead goin into the 9th (like tonite) with the best closer ever (#42) coming into the game.  :thumb:

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2011, 03:03 am »
As another Yanks fan, always a beautiful thing to see a one run lead goin into the 9th (like tonite) with the best closer ever (#42) coming into the game.  :thumb:

While the Yanks starting pitching is suspect, the bullpen is probably the best in the game.  If Joba turns it around, the Yanks can literally make it a six inning game with their starters.

And yes...I will never take for granted or grow tired of seeing #42 get the ball to close out a game - pure poetry and a genuine baseball legend.

George

« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2011, 10:56 am by zybar »

soundbitten1

« Reply #51 on: 5 Apr 2011, 03:39 am »
The blueprint worked to perfection tonight. Nova went 6 and Joba, Soriano and Mariano pitched one scoreless inning apiece.   :thumb:

Berto

« Reply #52 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:02 am »
Don't worry D-ray and Bo-sox fans your teams have 156 more games to get a win :wave:

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:03 am »
I am off to Fenway tomorrow to root on the Yankees.  Will try and snap a few pictures and post them over the weekend.

Let's hope the Red Sox woes continue for at least 3 more games.   :thumb:

George

twitch54

« Reply #54 on: 12 Apr 2011, 12:33 am »
I am off to Fenway tomorrow to root on the Yankees.  Will try and snap a few pictures and post them over the weekend.

Let's hope the Red Sox woes continue for at least 3 more games.   :thumb:

George

George,

it's now Tue......... did you survive ?

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 12 Apr 2011, 12:45 am »
George,

it's now Tue......... did you survive ?

I did.  :-)

It was fun time and most of the Boston fans were pretty good.  I received lots of questions around why I was wearing a Yankee hat and Red Sox jersey.  I explained that I lost a bet, but most folks assumed I was a Red Sox fan and my "punishment" was having to wear a Yankee cap.  ;-)

If only the Yanks had played better...

Pics to be posted shortly...I still need to download them or get the ones my friend took.

George

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:56 pm »
Here are a few pics before and during the game:

Right after I put on the "enemy's" jersey on (notice that I wouldn't take my Yankees hat off?):

Enjoying an adult beverage before the game:

Answering the boss...

Opening Day Ceremonies:

Eating in the North End after the game

George

Mag

« Reply #57 on: 12 Apr 2011, 06:44 pm »
Did anyone else watch that most embarrassing Jay's loss to Seattle last night? The Jays had a 7-0 lead, Seattle couldn't get anything going. That was with Seattle's best starting pitcher and a Jays 4th starter.

Then Seattle hit a home run off a relief pitcher. The Jay' brought in another reliever, he loaded the bases, then a walk run, then another, then another. The wheels just fell off what up to that point was a well executed 7-0 lead. Then as guessed Seattle won the game in the 9th, 8-7. :oops:

twitch54

« Reply #58 on: 24 Apr 2011, 05:34 pm »
George,

great Pics.....regardless of the outcome from the series it's fair to assume you had a great time !

twitch54

« Reply #59 on: 26 May 2011, 05:06 pm »
Interesting game in Philly last.....early this Am !!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110526&content_id=19594508&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Wilson Valdez for "Fireman' of the year !!