Newbie to separates, needs interconnect advice

trackball02

Newbie to separates, needs interconnect advice
« on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:09 am »
I’m soon to be a proud owner of an Avastar and Ultravalve, which is replacing my Linn Classik integrated CD receiver. Right now, my only RCA interconnects are those throw aways that come with my TV and DVD player and are nothing special. I’ve been reading a lot of opinions of interconnects on-line, and quite frankly a lot of it sounds like snake oil. Can anyone give me advice on something sensible, great sounding and reasonable cost?  I’m a complete novice when it comes to cables.  My other equipment includes a new pair of Zu Soul Superflys (fantastic speakers, still not broken in) and an old set of Monster Cable Z2 reference speaker cables. Eventually will complete my system with a DAC (not sure which one) and get my old Harman Kardon T-60 turnable running again. Thanks!

Tom Alverson

Re: Newbie to separates, needs interconnect advice
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:03 am »
Your new Avastar and Ultravalve are not sensitive to the cables used.  You just need something that makes good contact, as some cheap interconnects can have poor plating on the contacts or undersized pins.  Any decent cables, especially with gold or silver plated contacts will work fine.  Some users here like the "Blue Jeans Cables" which use good quality but not exotic wire and connectors.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

trebejo

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:17 am »
These folks do cabling for music studios and the like. Good for custom lengths, connectors, etc.

http://redco.com/

They follow the prime directive--i.e. correct cabling at sane, correct pricing.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:28 am »
hey trebejo

Nice Kasparov avatar!

As for the cables, +1 for BlueJeans.

trebejo

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:52 am »
Nice Kasparov avatar!

Here's the rest of the picture  :lol:

Brett Buck

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:08 am »
Right now, my only RCA interconnects are those throw aways that come with my TV and DVD player and are nothing special. I’ve been reading a lot of opinions of interconnects on-line, and quite frankly a lot of it sounds like snake oil.

You are right, virtually everything said about the topic is utter and complete nonsense. This kind:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Patch-Cable-Gold-Plated/dp/B0002KQZM0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297400710&sr=1-3

is electrically excellent and won't corrode. They come in 1, 3, and 12 ft length in addition to the 6 ft. No valid engineering reason to pay any more.

Brett

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:02 am »
wow...this is like going to a fancy restuarant and ordering macaroni and cheese.  :lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:17 am »
Mogami makes pro stuff, and Mogami interconnects are decent, and not too expensive. ($30 to $60)The least expensive name brand would be Kimber PBJ, a good value if purchased used.
I have always said interconnects should be an afterthought, and the primary money spent on the basic equipment. i use a variety of cables i have aquired, mostly lower priced Kimber. Hero, 8TC, some silver ones I bought used a long time ago... I have a few Nordost Blue Heaven I also bought used..
Anyway, a lot of folks also recommend the Blue Jeans cables.
I would say buy something a little better than the stuff they give away with cheap electronics... Even Radio Shack Gold audio sets would be a step up.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:34 am »
wow...this is like going to a fancy restuarant and ordering macaroni and cheese.  :lol:

Hey Man..... you can get some good mac and cheese at a fancy restuarant.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:35 am »
  You are right, virtually everything said about the topic is utter and complete nonsense. This kind:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Patch-Cable-Gold-Plated/dp/B0002KQZM0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297400710&sr=1-3

is electrically excellent and won't corrode. They come in 1, 3, and 12 ft length in addition to the 6 ft. No valid engineering reason to pay any more.

Brett

I would strongly recommend that stuff.... its what i use.  :thumb:

audio-heaven

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:10 pm »

Brett
Naahh that's far too extravagant, just use some wet string, water is an excellent conductor of electricity and you can cut the string to whatever length you need.
The only real drawback is that you have to keep on wetting the string, be very careful not to pour water all over your equipment though.
I'm an expert and have several pH D's on the subject, it's all to do with something called 'physics' and 'electrons' if the electrons don't get on with the physics then you will get BAD SOUND - so it's generally best to use something called 'elecro-physics' that way you will only get GOOD SOUND.
Anyway I must fly I have yet another planet to save before tea time TO INFINITY AND BEYOND.

Oh yes and to anyone out there who actually uses snake oil you are sick. How many snakes had to die for your insane hobby? 1? 2? just think about it.

Yours emphatically

An expert  pHD Dhp  pHdH ppDhD and so forth.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 02:08 pm by audio-heaven »

aln

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:49 pm »
How about Wayner's water interconnects?  Otherwise go with Blue Jean Cables.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:32 pm »
Trackball,

Do you have a budget to give us some guidance?

If you are looking to start at very reasonable prices:

As one member suggested, Mogami, and some sellers customize the lenghts and terminations, etc.

Also consider Atlona. Good quality and prices.

Another option is Paul Speltz' anti cables.

If you want to step up a bit price-wise, there are a lot of great options.

Let us know your budget since that will help with the recommendations.

- David.

trackball02

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:17 pm »
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

David, my original budget was up to $200 for a 1 m interconnect. Sounds like it might be too much. I would rather apply the amount to a new DAC and music, etc.

Tell me more about terminations, is there a sonic difference from gold plated, copper and silver, etc?

modular747

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:32 pm »
my original budget was up to $200 for a 1 m interconnect. Sounds like it might be too much. I would rather apply the amount to a new DAC and music, etc.

Tell me more about terminations, is there a sonic difference from gold plated, copper and silver, etc?

Wise choice.  Cables and interconnects have become the standard con scheme of the "high end" audio market.  Those $1000+/foot cables only cost $1/foot to manufacture...

There's no sonic difference between the different metal terminators when they are clean and free of corrosion.  However, gold doesn't corrode, and will maintain a good connection over time.  Silver and copper will corrode and need to be cleaned periodically.

mark funk

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:08 pm »
I use Belden cable. For ICs and speaker cable. Belden has been building cable in the US for over 100 years.

You can get this cable at Blue Jeans Cable

:smoke:

werd

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:23 pm »
Wise choice.  Cables and interconnects have become the standard con scheme of the "high end" audio market. Those $1000+/foot cables only cost $1/foot to manufacture...

There's no sonic difference between the different metal terminators when they are clean and free of corrosion.  However, gold doesn't corrode, and will maintain a good connection over time.  Silver and copper will corrode and need to be cleaned periodically.

Well its way more then that with termination costs and labor but whatever......

martyo

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2011, 08:41 pm »
Wise choice.  Cables and interconnects have become the standard con scheme of the "high end" audio market.  Those $1000+/foot cables only cost $1/foot to manufacture...

Well its way more then that with termination costs and labor but whatever......

Werd is right. That kind of hyperbole can diminish all the sound opinions you are getting. I also use Blue Jeans. Maybe we can coax mark to post a pic of the cables he made for Frank.  :lol:

I would rather apply the amount to a new DAC and music, etc.

:thumb:

AND congrats on the AVAstar and Ultravalve :eyebrows: A new DAC will certainly compliment your set. 8)

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2011, 08:49 pm »
I also use Bluejeans cables. Not cause they look cool or boutique in some scandalous way, but because they have 12pf per foot capacitance, have a single solid center conductor and are totally shielded.

Wayner

Minn Mark

« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2011, 08:56 pm »
trackball,
Welcome to the AVA family! Visit us and contribute often.

I use 1m pair of Kimber Hero between pre-amp (Insight)  and power amp (Insight). I use a 1 m pair of Audio Advisor Black Mamba between the DAC (Insight) and pre-amp for the analog. For digital between my CD and DAC, I use a single bluejeans 1 m.  All work well.

Mark