My first meal from my new Sous Vide Supreme (with pics)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Well, about five minutes after my tax refund hit my checking account I ordered my Sous Vide Supreme! :thumb:  For those of you who don't watch the cooking shows or follow the food scene, sous vide is cooking under vacuum, and usually at very low temps.  Conventional grilling of, say, a steak involved very high heat.  By the time the middle of the steak is medium rare a good portion of the rest of it is well done.  Sous vide typically uses a very low "Delta T", or very small gradient between the desired end temp and the cooking temp.  Generally that means if you want a steak done medium rare (about 133 degrees) you cook it at that temp. 

The kit I got included the Sous Vide Supreme water oven, two books, some seasonings and the Sous Vide Supreme Vac Sealer.  The sealer is basically like a Foodsaver and comes with a few bags to get you started.

I began by setting the bath to 130 degrees.  While it was heating I seasoned two sirloins with Montreal Seasoning and placed 'em in the bag.  I chucked in a couple TBSP of butter 'cause, hey- who doesn't like butter? :thumb:  Then in they go into the water bath. 

The nice thing is you set the timer and walk away.  I opted for about an hour and a half.  This is longer than necessary but is sufficient to pasteurize the meat.  After all, I didn't want to kill myself the first time out! :lol:  An hour in I checked the temp of the water in several spots with two calibrated Thermopen K-type thermocouples...the temp was flat-out dead on!  Very impressive.  Of course this wasn't a big load but the convection maintained the temp flawlessly.

Enough jawin', and on with the pics!

Here are the steaks right out of the water.  Not much to look at, eh?

But notice the doneness...

The first one I browned with my Iwatani torch- BONZAI! :lol:

The other I seared in a screaming hot pan:

Check out the perfect edge-to-edge doneness!  You can't do that on the grill or broiler! :thumb:

Plated up...

And with a few Portobello mushrooms, sauteed in bacon fat and deglazed with jus from the pouch and some wine...

Lastly, here's the actual machine.  I've got it heating up to do some soft boiled eggs @ 146 degrees F...

I'll tell you, that was an amazing steak!  Incredibly "beefy" and cooked perfectly.  A hot pan worked a little better than the torch, but I didn't want to burn the pepper.  I don't think I'll ever willingly cook a steak at home without my SVS.

I already had the camera packed up before the eggs were done, and now I'm kicking myself for not getting some pics.  I've never, ever seen an egg like that! :o  Absolutely flawless soft boiled but with a thick, custard-like yoke.  Damn, shoulda' got a pic!

Based on my first shot at cooking in the SVS I would have to give it an unqualified thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  This baby is gonna change everything! 8)

JackD201

Re: My first meal from my new Sous Vide Supreme (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2011, 10:52 am »
Congratulations Rob! You made my stomach growl. I hate you!  :thumb:

I haven't gotten my Polyscience out of the box yet. Thanks to you it looks like I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the nudge.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:03 am »
Now I hate you! :lol:  I'd kill for the PolyScience! 8)

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:13 pm »
I really have my eye on the Polyscience as well.  But I'd really like to be able to afford a good clam style vacuum sealer first.  That steak looks awesome.  What I really like about getting my steak like that is that it really seems to please the greatest amount of doneness demands for a crowd.  People like me (rare!) like it, and the medium well crowd seems fine with it as well, since it avoids the jelly blue center.

tmij

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2011, 07:24 pm »
Now I hate you! :lol:  I'd kill for the PolyScience! 8)

Don't worry, Rob, I think the Poly is overrated and the SVS will do just as well. Personally, I can't think of any advantage the Poly would have over the SVS and would rather put my $$ on that chamber vacuum sealer we'd been talking about in KF.

Jack, no offense intended of course ;)

JackD201

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2011, 10:58 pm »
Non taken  :green:

It was the wife that chose it  :lol: :lol: :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2011, 11:04 pm »
OMG, that steak is beautiful! I have chicken in the crock pot right now. I will have to pretend.  :icon_lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:42 am »
Don't worry, Rob, I think the Poly is overrated and the SVS will do just as well. Personally, I can't think of any advantage the Poly would have over the SVS and would rather put my $$ on that chamber vacuum sealer we'd been talking about in KF.

Do you go by the same name over there?  If so I confess I didn't put two and two together. :oops:  I guess it's context...for the most part it's a completely different crowd.  Man, it's bad enough money wise to have the audio bug...it's even worse for guys like us that also have an addiction to J-knives! :duh: :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:47 am »
My next project is underway right now- I've got four of five pounds of chicken legs & thighs in the SVS. :thumb:  I seasoned with S&P, a bit of granulated garlic, some thyme and butter.  From what I've read, "real" garlic develops off flavors when cooked under vacuum for a long time, hence the granulated stuff.  I've got the temp set at 149o F.  Chicken will be pasteurized and safe to eat with several hours @ 140o F, but from what I've read dark meat tastes undercooked at that temp.  Supposedly it tastes fully cooked at 148o, and I decided to err on the high side.  Probably not necessary given the extremely precise temperature control of the SVS, but until I've cooked this way more I'm playing it safe.

The plan is to cook it for 3 hours, then rapidly chill it and put it in the fridge.  Then I will make fried chicken with it. 8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:49 am »
A nice YouTube video....Set-up and How-to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwLkR5obGVM

Enjoy Rob....when are you having everyone over... :jester:

(Hi Tito... :D)

SlushPuppy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:59 am »
Thanks for the post. I never heard of these cookers before and was lucky to stumble across this thread. That steak looks mouthwatering (this coming from a Big Green Egg man). Something like that would come in handy for winter. The price seems very reasonable. Keep the pics coming!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:02 am »
Did you get it from Amazon...?

tmij

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:09 am »
Do you go by the same name over there?  If so I confess I didn't put two and two together. :oops:  I guess it's context...for the most part it's a completely different crowd.  Man, it's bad enough money wise to have the audio bug...it's even worse for guys like us that also have an addiction to J-knives! :duh: :lol:
Nope, I'm bokkers over there. Haven't been adding new knives to my small collection though, would rather get the VP112 :)

Hi Chris! It's been a while.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:45 am »
Did you get it from Amazon...?

No, got it right from the source.  It's really a better deal- you get the SVS, the pouch rack, two books on SV, and a vacuum sealer with bags, all for $479 shipped.  The sealer is pretty nice for a clamp-style.  It's similar to but nicer than the basic Tilia Foodsaver sealer.  It works pretty well, given the limitations of the type.  I think I probably will get the VP-112 chamber vac, but probably not right away (although I don't want to dick around til the sale if done).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:51 am »
Thanks for the post. I never heard of these cookers before and was lucky to stumble across this thread. That steak looks mouthwatering (this coming from a Big Green Egg man). Something like that would come in handy for winter. The price seems very reasonable. Keep the pics coming!

They also make a smaller model called the Sous Vide Supreme Demi.  It's $299 and about 65% the size of the Supreme.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big lover of 'cueing (and man I'd love a BGE!) but in any season, sous vide "zero-Delta-T" cooking can achieve results unobtainable with any other method.  There isn't any way to get than perfect edge-to-edge doneness when cooking at a high Delta-T (meaning much higher than the finished temp of the product).

That said, the BGE would be an absolutely perfect partner to the SVS!  You still need to brown the meat, and nothing would be better for that than a BGE.  I'd love to be able to do my sear over an 850o F+ charcoal fire! :bowdown:  You'd get some flavoring from the wood and a great crust, and the intense heat would let you sear so quickly that the inside wouldn't get overdone. :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:52 am »
Nope, I'm bokkers over there. Haven't been adding new knives to my small collection though, would rather get the VP112 :)

Hi Chris! It's been a while.

Ahhh, now I know who you are!  Didn't realize we both frequent both "watering holes." :thumb:

bigdirty

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:10 am »
I just got so hungry for steak. great photos

tmij

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:16 pm »
Question about the SVS, is it relatively silent? Do you hear it in operation?

Looking forward to you trying short rib :)

ratso

« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:37 pm »
it's a lot quieter if you swap out the power cord for a cardas one.

sorry, couldn't help myself. that svs looks great, thinking about all those "iron chef" episodes where they use it, hmm....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:42 pm »
Crap, now I do need a new power cord! :o   :lol: