My first meal from my new Sous Vide Supreme (with pics)

JackD201

Re: My first meal from my new Sous Vide Supreme (with pics)
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2011, 11:01 pm »
Rob, I'm gonna try SV-ing Scallops (mainly because my batting average wouldn't land me on a little league team). Any temp and time suggestions for large sea scallops like Hokaido's?

TIA  :green:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:29 am »
I haven't had a chance to try scallops yet.  But 51o C is the the magic number according to what I've read, for about 40 minutes, followed by a quick sear in a ripping hot pan.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:58 am »
Last night I did 4-5 lbs of chicken legs and thighs.  I gave it about 3 hrs 45 min at 149o F, then I finished a few pieces under the oven broiler.  Man, talk about tasty!  Perfectly done an incredibly juicy!  The rest I chilled in ice water and popped in the fridge.  I'll make fried chicken out of it pretty soon.

ctviggen

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2011, 11:38 am »
This was supposedly designed with the help of Dr. Eades, of "Protein Power" fame.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/good-eating/sous-vide-supreme/

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2011, 11:41 am »
Hmmm...They play it low key for some reason, but here's a deal that includes one of Eade's books:

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/product.aspx?productid=50&deptid=1&AdID=51

It's a very interesting device.  How often do you use this?  Is it like a crock pot that is used quarterly, or do you use it more often?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm »
Hmmm...They play it low key for some reason, but here's a deal that includes one of Eade's books:

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/product.aspx?productid=50&deptid=1&AdID=51

It's a very interesting device.  How often do you use this?  Is it like a crock pot that is used quarterly, or do you use it more often?

If you're talking to me, I've only had it for a few days.  Since it's the new toy I use it every day.  And honestly I probably will continue to use it five times a week.  From the perspective of a professional chef I'm just blown away by the unique properties of sous vide.  You've never really tasted an egg until you've had one sous vide! 8)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2011, 12:24 pm »
Question about the SVS, is it relatively silent? Do you hear it in operation?

Looking forward to you trying short rib :)

Sorry, missed this one.  It's not quite, it's absolutely dead silent.  Unlike a traditional circulator the SVS has no moving parts.  The only sounds it makes are from a timer, if you set one, and a short series of beeps that tells you it's reached the selected temp.  It also beeps with each press of a key just for feedback.  Beyond that it makes not a peep.

some young guy

« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:48 pm »
Rob, have you read "Devil in the Kitchen"? Marco has some great stuff about the wonders of sous vide. It's a great book besides and one every chef should read imo.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:20 am »
Thumbed thru it but never read it.  Honestly, in less a book delves deeply into the cooking aspect I'm not usually very interested in the chef-as-celebrity or "bad boy of the kitchen" angles.  Of course, Kitchen Confidential is a notable exception- couldn't put it down! :thumb:  But I may have to pick that one up, too.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:27 am »
Let's see, so far I've done:  baby back ribs, corned beef, a few batches of steaks, chicken breast, cut up chicken pieces, half a dozen batches of eggs at different temps and a half of a pork loin.  Everything came out pretty well.  The ribs were not quite perfect, mostly due to my impatience! :lol:  I placed four half racks in the bath, along with two little 2-bone sections.  I reasoned I could test the small pieces at two days without breaking the seal on the full ones.  The little nibblets were done, so I pulled everything...but they were much thinner than the larger racks, a fact I neglected to notice.  They were certainly not tough by any means, but I think the extra day I had planned would have helped them.  Even so they were amazing!  I cooked them at 132 degrees resulting in very tender ribs yet still fairly pink.  There's really no other way to do this than SV.  I can't say they were better than good smoked ribs but that's impractical given the weather in my part of the country.

Eventually I'll have to break down and get Under Pressure, but Sous Vide For the Home Cook by Douglas Baldin is a great primer.

Not sure what to do next but Coq au Vin is certainly on my radar.

some young guy

« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:48 pm »
How about a lobe or two of foie gras!??! Salt, pepper and little cognac, set at about 54f...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:52 pm »
That would go nice on top of some filets!

some young guy

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:13 am »
You're a madman!  :lol:

What's next? Madeira redux? Black truffles?

Cheerwino

« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2011, 01:57 am »
Cool. Love my Sous Vide Supreme. I follow the good Drs Eades and bought it for the convenience more than the gourmet aspect. But, it has turned me into a kitchen rock star! I mean, the chicks are falling all over me! Okay, just my wife and the cat, but it's cool.

I make "scrambled eggs in the French manner" several times a week for breakfast. So yummy. Chicken comes out so tender, like you mentioned. It's just an awesome appliance. Highly recommended for the gourmet or just the lazy cook (like me).  :thumb:

some young guy

« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:10 am »
Thumbed thru it but never read it.  Honestly, in less a book delves deeply into the cooking aspect I'm not usually very interested in the chef-as-celebrity or "bad boy of the kitchen" angles.  Of course, Kitchen Confidential is a notable exception- couldn't put it down! :thumb:  But I may have to pick that one up, too.
Been thinking about this one... to me (as a chef) I find inspiration in the type of insanity and passions that drive someone to such great heights as Marco reached. The attention to detail that he was able to acheive while dealing with the real life stuff that we all do, is amazing to me. I was told to by my chef many years ago to read White Heat (which is a great read also) and have been interested in him ever sinse. I highly recomend both books.

some young guy

« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:12 am »
Cool. Love my Sous Vide Supreme. I follow the good Drs Eades and bought it for the convenience more than the gourmet aspect. But, it has turned me into a kitchen rock star! I mean, the chicks are falling all over me! Okay, just my wife and the cat, but it's cool.

I make "scrambled eggs in the French manner" several times a week for breakfast. So yummy. Chicken comes out so tender, like you mentioned. It's just an awesome appliance. Highly recommended for the gourmet or just the lazy cook (like me).  :thumb:
Have you tried different eggs? I recently befriended someone in town where I live who now gives me fresh Aracona eggs... The best I've ever tasted! Now if I can just talk her into raising some ducks...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:45 am »
You're a madman!  :lol:

What's next? Madeira redux? Black truffles?

I wish!  If it were, they'd have to Oregon Black Truffles- cheap at $60 for 3oz:lol:

some young guy

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2011, 04:14 am »

I wish!  If it were, they'd have to Oregon Black Truffles- cheap at $60 for 3oz:lol:
Yeah, I'm spoiled. Not that they're cheap or anything, but I can go to the farmer's market and buy Italian blacks, Perigord, Oregonian, Himalayan and sometimes even the nicest of the nice Albian whites!

But I guess you can cheat a little and buy a $20 bottle of white truffle oil.  :dunno:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:05 am »
Here in SoDak you won't find any sign of a truffle.  As for the oils, it's pretty rare to find one that has even a molecule of actual truffle- most of them are best avoided.

I suppose eventually I'll sous vide some filet for a Wellington.  There are a lot of things on my to-do list SV.  I think I'll probably do some short ribs later in the week if I have time.  Chef is out of town so I'll be putting in some extra hours helping to cover all the shifts.

JackD201

« Reply #39 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:17 am »
Please shoot me a PM when you get to try small game birds Rob. I've had nothing but disaster with quail. Looks like SV could be the ticket but I'm at a loss on how to brown them evenly afterwards without ruining them.