Most dynamic 6SN7?

vett93

Most dynamic 6SN7?
« on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:53 am »
What is the most dynamic 6SN7 tube, new production or NOS?

My hybrid power amp is a bit relax sounding. It is a NP100, rebuilt from Counterpoint SA100 by Mike E. It uses a 6SN7 in the gain stage and bipolar in the output stage.

I like this amp and want to make it a bit more dynamic. Thanks.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Most dynamic 6SN7?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:42 am »
The new Tung Sol 6SN7 has allot of pizazz. It's displayed itself as bold, high gain, clean and rich sounding as a preamp tube as well as a voltage amp/phase splitter tube. Give it a try!

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:55 am »
+1 on the Tung Sols

Quiet Earth

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:31 pm »
+2 on the Tung Sols. (new production)

I like them when driving a Chinese 300B in my amp, because the Chinese 300Bs seem to need the extra gain.

I prefer using a NOS 6SN7 when driving a EML or JJ 300B because those power tubes have dynamics in spades and respond well to finesse.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:47 pm »
By the way, which 6SN7 are you using now?

Philistine

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2011, 02:53 pm »
Another vote for the new production Tung Sol, it's great value.

I've tried many of the highly regarded NOS 6SN7's, including the Tung Sol round plates, and would skip all these and go direct to the Shuguang Black Treasures if you're looking for something more 'refined' than the new Tung Sols.

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2011, 05:34 pm »
OK, but have any of you actually compared the Tung-Sols or Black Treasures to any NOS?  The OP is asking for sonic differences with special attention paid to dynamics.

I have not tried any of the new production tubes I do have a nice stash of NOS Tung-Sol tall bottles, GE (both from the early sixties), and Sylvania chrome-domes (fifties) and the Sylvanias are the best in all areas.  Tone, PRaT, dynamics are not an issue, and the most liquid of the bunch.  For context I have done all my comparisons using these in the input and driver position in my VAC PA-160 amps.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:00 pm »
I'm not sure if the OP asked for sonic differences between new and old stock 6SN7s, he just assumed that if he bought the most "dynamic sounding" 6SN7 available that he would enjoy his amp more. Whether or not that will actually happen is a different story for another thread.  :D  Anyway, he said new or old stock,,,,, he didn't care. Most dynamic is what he is looking for.

So,,,,,,,,,,

I have a drawer full of NOS and just plain old school 6SN7s and I can tell you from my own experience that the new production tung sols do have a greater jump factor to them compared to most of the old stock stuff that I own. That doesn't necessarily mean that these new production tubes sound "better" than my GE gray glass, CBS or Sylvania 6SN7s, it just means that they sound more lively and dynamic when I use them as a direct substitute.

Does that help?

I can't comment on the Black Treasure 6SN7. I have a pair of their "A grade" 300Bs and those sound like dressed up Valve Arts at thrice the price, so I'm probably not gonna try their 6SN7.

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:36 am »
Still waiting to read a comparison of the Create 6SN7 and the Black Treasures.

vett93

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2011, 03:14 am »
Thanks all. I have about 100 tubes of 6SN7 variants, including new production Tung Sol 6SN7GTB. Currently, I have RCA 5692 RedBase on the Counterpoint NP100. One of my preamps, the Dude from TRL, also uses 6SN7s. I have Sylvania VT-231s for the gain stage.

I have owned these new production Tung Sols for about 3-4 years. I did not like them when I first got them. They sound too aggressive and abrupt to my ears. I put them on the NP100. The amp is indeed more dynamic. However, I think it is missing some finer details and the sound is a bit abrupt too.

What should I try next?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:01 am »
You have 100 6SN7s and you're asking us ???

I don't get it . . . . .  :scratch:

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2011, 04:16 am »
Im glad to hear the good words about the new production Tung Sol's. I have liked them too but have only heard 2 or 3 others at this point so did not want to comment.
 As much as I like them, I think 'abrupt' is a very good description of them...
I am looking for a 6SN7 that is somewhere between the new TS's and the NOS TS round plates... Something w/ the organic's of the round plates, good depth, great tone, excellent low end but maybe a bit smoother than the new productions...  ???

Im poised to finally try the Black Treasures and the Sophia's

vett93

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:01 pm »
You have 100 6SN7s and you're asking us ???

I don't get it . . . . .  :scratch:

100 6SN7s may sound like a large number. But I don't have these latest tubes like Black Treasure, Sophia/Full Music, etc. I would not have tried these new production Tung Sols either. As I get more involved with tube audio, my taste chagnes also. I stock a number of "old favorites" and they don't sound great to me anymore.

Does it make sense?

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:09 pm »
The part about changing tastes makes a lot of sense. Stocking old favorites even if you don't like them all that much anymore doesn't.  Be kind and put them up for adoption   :thumb:

Boy that has got to be my lamest attempt to get my hands on another's tube stash ever!!!!!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

decal

« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:10 pm »
What is your definition of dynamic? Just curious.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:15 pm »
This is a NOS Russian 6SN7-GT tube, metal base with "T" plates. Another common name for Russian 6SN7 tubes is 6H8C tube.

We brought these tubes in on a whim because of their amazing build quality. The responses we’ve had back from some of our customers have been outstanding with many claiming this is the best 6SN7 they’ve ever heard! Incredible sound stage and presence.

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:21 pm »
And where can one find these Russian metal beauties?

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2011, 07:37 pm »
I bought one from The Tube Store and one from Brent Jesse (Audio Tubes) but I think they are both out? Worth a call.. Check with Brent first. It's a damn nice tube. I bought my 2nd one just for back-up.

BRENT JESSEE RECORDING & SUPPLY, INC.
1566 West Algonquin Road #111

Hoffman Estates, IL 60192

Voice Phone 847-496-4546, Monday-Friday 8AM to 4PM USA Central Time

http://thetubestore.com/

Good Luck,

Gary

vett93

« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2011, 08:01 pm »
I have a few of these Russian tubes too. They do sound good. The best one is metal base with round hole plates. Mega expensive, but worth it IMO....

vett93

« Reply #19 on: 1 Feb 2011, 08:07 pm »
What is your definition of dynamic? Just curious.

My defintion of dynamic is the opposite of relax. There seems to be some sort of acceleration in the sound. The music is a bit more dramatic. A good song to demonstrate that is the Scottish Fantasy in the Midori Sibelius album.