Manley Labs --Price increase SOON

dangerbird

Manley Labs --Price increase SOON
« on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:36 pm »
I read that an average price increase on the home audio front will be about 45%. If you want any new,,or used Manley gear, better order/get it before the 15th of Feb.

Scroll down to the end of the thread for the response from EAM

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=amp&m=162045

HAITIMAN

Re: Manley Labs --Price increase SOON
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2011, 01:01 pm »
I read that an average price increase on the home audio front will be about 45%. If you want any new,,or used Manley gear, better order/get it before the 15th of Feb.

Scroll down to the end of the thread for the response from EAM

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=amp&m=162045

Why bother?

Just buy Rogue Audio.

dangerbird

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:13 pm »
I've been wrestling with the Cronus or Stingray decision,,guess I'd better hurry,,eh?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:19 pm »
Why bother?

Just buy Rogue Audio.

I have generally preferred Manley amps and preamps over Rougue, but a 45% price increase is tough to swallow.  Besides, there are other alternatives that sound as good or better for less money these days (such as Prima Luna for example).

George

HAITIMAN

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:27 pm »
I have generally preferred Manley amps and preamps over Rougue, but a 45% price increase is tough to swallow.  Besides, there are other alternatives that sound as good or better for less money these days (such as Prima Luna for example).

George

Have you looked at Prima Luna prices lately?

I prefer Rogue over Prima Luna and Manley, and the money I saved will pay for my W4S DAC 1

Wasatch

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:51 pm »
I'm not liking the increase at all. Looking at some CJ stuff now.

kingdeezie

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:29 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can fairly compare Prima Luna to Manley based solely on the fact that Prima Luna is made in China (IIRC) and Manley is completely manufactured in the US.

Now, regardless of what you think sounds better, or represents the better value, obviously building and sourcing parts completely in the United States comes at a premium; and Manley is passing that on to us, the customers, now after absorbing it for many many years.

As for Rogue Audio, which I believe at least assembles the products here in the U.S., that will boil down to what you prefer in terms of sound as well as aesthetics.

Most of Manley's profits I believe come from their professional sales; with their hifi being icing on the cake. Obviously the icing was beginning to cost more then the cake, so they had to raise prices; albeit in this case pretty drastically.

I just bought a pair of used Neo Classic 250s on audiogon; thank God for that; those are going to start retailing for 12.5K.

I don't think Manley is going to take much of a hit here however. Obviously their volume sellers were providing very little profit, if any at all (maybe even losses).

The increase in price might slow sales, but if they are making 30 percent more per sale; they should still come out a head.

I only now dread if I need to have these amplifiers serviced for any reason; that might sting the wallet.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:37 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can fairly compare Prima Luna to Manley based solely on the fact that Prima Luna is made in China (IIRC) and Manley is completely manufactured in the US.

Now, regardless of what you think sounds better, or represents the better value, obviously building and sourcing parts completely in the United States comes at a premium; and Manley is passing that on to us, the customers, now after absorbing it for many many years.

As for Rogue Audio, which I believe at least assembles the products here in the U.S., that will boil down to what you prefer in terms of sound as well as aesthetics.

Most of Manley's profits I believe come from their professional sales; with their hifi being icing on the cake. Obviously the icing was beginning to cost more then the cake, so they had to raise prices; albeit in this case pretty drastically.

I just bought a pair of used Neo Classic 250s on audiogon; thank God for that; those are going to start retailing for 12.5K.

I don't think Manley is going to take much of a hit here however. Obviously their volume sellers were providing very little profit, if any at all (maybe even losses).

The increase in price might slow sales, but if they are making 30 percent more per sale; they should still come out a head.

I only now dread if I need to have these amplifiers serviced for any reason; that might sting the wallet.

Of course I can compare them.

The fact that one is manufactured in China and the other US is a variable that is one of many to consider when purchasing.

George

kingdeezie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:41 pm »
Of course I can compare them.

The fact that one is manufactured in China and the other US is a variable that is one of many to consider when purchasing.

George

Perhaps I should have been more specific and said you can't really compare prices in such a direct manner.

Obviously regardless of performance; a company making products in the US, can't price match a company manufacturing products from China.

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:43 pm »
Stingray from $3k to $5600? I don't think sooo.
That seems like a poor decision.
For that kind of money you can have custom built.
Nightshade audio anyone?
AND a whole lot more out there.
That is why I buy used anyway.

D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:43 pm »
Have you looked at Prima Luna prices lately?

I prefer Rogue over Prima Luna and Manley, and the money I saved will pay for my W4S DAC 1

Can't say that I had them memorized, so I just looked them up.

Looks like they are competitively priced up and down their product line.

George

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:43 pm »

So you're the one who got those....  Very nice snag!  :thumb:

I've owned Snappers and now SEPP300Bs. I'll probably grab another set of Snappers before the prices go up. I would prefer to own Manley custom transformers and Mitch Margolis circuits to the alternatives mentioned.  I also prefer to have Paul Fargo on the phone when I need help. I would guess that commodity prices are the main cause of the increase, and the delay in doing it explains the size of the increase.

The scary thing is that they decided to do it because they had to. If sales slow too much due to the increase, then what will they do? Discontinue the less popular models, the most expensive models? That would be sad.

Edit: Thanks for the link George!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:03 pm »
  Everything is going up. Have ya been to the supermarket lately ? There are many reasons as to why. However we cannot talk about those issues as it will lead to Politics.
  Metals cost lately is rising. Copper and silver are being traded high due to the demand of China and India.
  Inflation is yielding its ugly head and there is shoot we can do about it. Redistribute this !

charles

kingdeezie

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:13 pm »
So you're the one who got those....  Very nice snag!  :thumb:

I've owned Snappers and now SEPP300Bs. I'll probably grab another set of Snappers before the prices go up. I would prefer to own Manley custom transformers and Mitch Margolis circuits to the alternatives mentioned.  I also prefer to have Paul Fargo on the phone when I need help. I would guess that commodity prices are the main cause of the increase, and the delay in doing it explains the size of the increase.

The scary thing is that they decided to do it because they had to. If sales slow too much due to the increase, then what will they do? Discontinue the less popular models, the most expensive models? That would be sad.

This is my first foray into tube amplifiers, and with Manley..

Have you ever had any issues with the Manley gear?

The Neo Classic 250's I bought are six years old. I am a little concerned about their age to be honest; I'm not sure of their longevity.

I remember reading somewhere that a reviewer had an original pair of the amplifiers that the Neos were based on that were something like 18 years old and still functioning perfectly.

We shall see.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:19 pm »
Can't say that I had them memorized, so I just looked them up.

Looks like they are competitively priced up and down their product line.

George

Precisely my point...they are merely competitively priced. Being made in China....aren't they supposed to blow us away with their pricing? Buy Rogue, buy American....keep somebody employed here, at home.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:33 pm »
I feel sad when I think Manley, Rogue, Jolida and others hi praised tube amps brands are all made with Printed Circuit Boads, for this reasons people prefer Prima-Luna, Audio-Mirror, Musical-Paradise or any low price Chinese brand that use Point-to-Ponit wiring.
Of course IMO.
Gustavo

P.S.> Musical Paradise(Canada) looks great value at just 600 Obamas, offer 15W + 15W Stereo Integrated.
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=67&zenid=h0j16bfl32vn6f5coc64hlac34

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:43 pm »
I feel sad when I think Manley, Rogue, Jolida and others hi praised tube amps brands are all made with Printed Circuit Boads, for this reasons people prefer Prima-Luna, Audio-Mirror, Musical-Paradise or any low price Chinese brand that use Point-to-Ponit wiring.
Of course IMO.
Gustavo

P.S.> Musical Paradise(Canada) looks great value at just 600 Obamas, offer 15W + 15W Stereo Integrated.
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=67&zenid=h0j16bfl32vn6f5coc64hlac34

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

No printed circuit boards in my tube amps.   :thumb: :thumb:

George

HAITIMAN

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:51 pm »
Of course IMO.
Gustavo

China thanks you for your business....and the free advertising. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:52 pm »
No printed circuit boards in my tube amps.   :thumb: :thumb:

George
Oh Yesss, congratulations for those Atma-Sphere OTLs.
Gustavo

kingdeezie

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:58 pm »
Of course IMO.
Gustavo

I don't think that point to point wiring has any advantage over a well thought out, competently designed, and well constructed PCB.

Yes, manufacturers have chosen in the past to get away from point to point wiring in favor of CHEAPER PCB to increase revenue; but that's doesn't mean all PCB construction is garbage.

A lot of companies use PCB to great success.