Manley Labs --Price increase SOON

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Manley Labs --Price increase SOON
« Reply #40 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:12 am »
VTL stuff is already way up there but the two companies have gone in totally different directions.
The new VTL amps are all about computer controlled tube monitoring for people who don't want to know about a petermeter and a plastic screwdriver.
The Manley products are like my old VTL monoblocks (which isn't very surprising).
The people at Manley are really good to deal with, aren't they?

kingdeezie

« Reply #41 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:24 am »
VTL stuff is already way up there but the two companies have gone in totally different directions.
The new VTL amps are all about computer controlled tube monitoring for people who don't want to know about a petermeter and a plastic screwdriver.
The Manley products are like my old VTL monoblocks (which isn't very surprising).
The people at Manley are really good to deal with, aren't they?

Yes, pretty great.

Paul said that the resistors come with a soldered on spring loaded clip; so it should mean that I cut the old one out, and just clip the other one on; sounds pretty simple.

He is to hoping I don't botch it too bad.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:47 am »
If you do you could always just unload them my way! :D :D :D

I'm sure that you'll be just fine, though.
Those are some really nice amps if I haven't already said so.

drab

« Reply #43 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:55 am »
both companies reside in Encino California

Manley is in Chino, CA.

Indiansprings

« Reply #44 on: 1 Feb 2011, 01:58 am »
I thought VTL is in Chino, CA.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 1 Feb 2011, 02:29 am »
Both companies are in Chino - David Manley married EveAnna and Dave's son, Luke, took over VTL.  EveAnna runs Manley. 
Dave, I believe, is semi-retired on another continent.

jrun

« Reply #46 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:23 pm »
Very well spoken discussion on the U.S. made gear vs. imports.  I would like to say that I fall into the camp of let me hear it, then let me see it, then tell me how much it costs, then tell me where it is made and how do I get service.  American companies come and go too.  I was orphaned on two American products.  Llano Designs amps had a cult following and indeed sounded great, but Randy White quit and promptly disappeared with no support or schematics.  Thor Audio made some of the finest high end gear in the US. Went out of business with a "well someone should be able to fix it" attitude.  By the way, the Thor was noisy.  Will my current integrated hold up?  It is an Audio Space ref.3.1, and it is a beautiful piece of equipment.  Dead quiet, and after some tube upgrades, very dynamic.  It is currently in California for repair after a power tube failure.  Global economics is the reality.  Some foreign gear is outstanding, some is crap.  What about the gear from western Europe where the prices are high and the distributorship iffy?  We all take our money and put it where it sounds the best (hopefully). I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open and will consider gear based on how it sounds first, how it looks second.Then I will consider where it is made and if service is available.  Thanks for your time reading my rant.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #47 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:37 pm »

American companies come and go too. 

Global economics is the reality.

Well put Jrun.

Audiophiles in every country and it's wonderful being exposed to products designed and manufactured in all corners of our world.

If you haven't, post a write up on your Audio Space ref.3.1 in the review circle. Would love to hear your impressions.

kingdeezie

« Reply #48 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:19 pm »
Very well spoken discussion on the U.S. made gear vs. imports.  I would like to say that I fall into the camp of let me hear it, then let me see it, then tell me how much it costs, then tell me where it is made and how do I get service.  American companies come and go too.  I was orphaned on two American products.  Llano Designs amps had a cult following and indeed sounded great, but Randy White quit and promptly disappeared with no support or schematics.  Thor Audio made some of the finest high end gear in the US. Went out of business with a "well someone should be able to fix it" attitude.  By the way, the Thor was noisy.  Will my current integrated hold up?  It is an Audio Space ref.3.1, and it is a beautiful piece of equipment.  Dead quiet, and after some tube upgrades, very dynamic.  It is currently in California for repair after a power tube failure.  Global economics is the reality.  Some foreign gear is outstanding, some is crap.  What about the gear from western Europe where the prices are high and the distributorship iffy?  We all take our money and put it where it sounds the best (hopefully). I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open and will consider gear based on how it sounds first, how it looks second.Then I will consider where it is made and if service is available.  Thanks for your time reading my rant.

All of these are valid points.

However, I do not think that Manley is going to just fad away since they have a huge professional audio business running, as has been discussed here previously.

I will say now though, that, barring the power tube failure that I had that ruined my used Neo Classic 250s for a week, these things are INSANELY built. At first I was angry about the tube failure, but it seems to happen with a LOT of tube amplifiers.

Sonically, I feel that the are a marked improvement in my system over my Pass Labs 250.5, which is an amplifier that sells for 9K MSRP.

IMO, the 12.5K increase maybe should have happened a while ago. You are getting TWO amplifiers with gobs of tube power, with amazing build quality equal or surpassing the Pass amplifier I had which was also built to toss of a building.

Even having the used version, and knowing the price increase, I am contemplating saving up and buying a new pair at some point; they are that good. YMMV