Anyone tried the MIT Z wall outlets?

gooberdude

Anyone tried the MIT Z wall outlets?
« on: 11 Jan 2011, 06:31 pm »
I'm moving into a bldg & area that has terrible noise on the ac, my NoiseSniffer just goes crazy with the same deep & angry tones that I had in my last place in Chicago...not higher pitched 'shhhhhhhhhh' tones like I have in the suburbs now.

I won't have much $ to throw at this issue initially, and i have a set of Quietlines MkII wall warts & a gaggle of Highwire ac cord wraps to help in the short run.

My plan is to buy (1) Z Super outlet, and (2) 15amp outlets, then experiment from there. The place is 2BR, about 1300sf, and has 8 difft circuits....3 of which will have audio/video/computer gear plugged in.

The MIT wall outlets look interesting, and its hard to argue with their YouTube video using the NoiseSniffer.  In the past though, some conditioners i used quieted down the Noise Sniffer in a similar fashion but also destroyed the music....so I'm wondering if these MIT outlets get out of the way, or limit/change the sound in any way.  I do not plan on plugging gear directly into these outlets, since I have Oyaide outlets. I want to use them purely for their filtering, as a front line defense.

Any opinion or 1sthand experience is appreciated.

Matt

Mass. Wine Guy

Re: Anyone tried the MIT Z wall outlets?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:16 pm »
Matt, I have the standard MIT Z outlet and need to install it. I tried, but the wires were very thick and hard to twist. I'll let you know.

By the way, definitely buy these ooutlets on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIT-Z-Duplex-Super-20-Power-filtration-outlet-New-/290508594512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3a95d50

The seller will take a reasonably lower best offer.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:50 pm »
Matt, I have the standard MIT Z outlet and need to install it. I tried, but the wires were very thick and hard to twist. I'll let you know.

By the way, definitely buy these ooutlets on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIT-Z-Duplex-Super-20-Power-filtration-outlet-New-/290508594512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3a95d50

The seller will take a reasonably lower best offer.

You can buy the equivalent filtered outlet from Cullen Circuits on Audiogon for $70.  I owned one to see how it was made and then sold it.  Search for Cullen05 there.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88471.0

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2011, 04:25 pm »
That Cullen outlet looks great.  Is that an off the self filter?  Got any more pics?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm »
UL Listed?

gooberdude

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2011, 08:36 pm »
I'm still on the fence, and waiting for my order to arrive.

After reading up on Alan Mahers latest CBF's i may try those too.  Cheap, and it appears they don't actually connect to the ac lines.

On a side note I just posted an impression of Hagermans FryCorder on their mfgr circle. I'm thoroughly impressed.

Pre-burn i thought my lines were rife with RFI, as many outlets made the AudioPrism NoiseSniffer howl.  Post burn, most of the lines are silent except when the fridge kicks on or the 'sniffer is turned up to max sensitivity. I have Quietlines MkII wall warts, but am looking for something better.

matt

gooberdude

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:43 am »
I've had the MIT Z Duplex in my system for about a month. The improvements are just awesome. I'm a big fan of parallel filtering & the power factor correction technology now.

My big gripe is that the outlet its built into sucks...its a standard hospital grade outlet w/brass contacts. I can't plug gear directly into the MIT outlet, the sound is so bright & harsh. Having the MIT outlet installed as the outlet on the circuit just before the a/v outlet is the ticket though. Its thoroughly effective, my tv looks fantastic & the soundstage grew on my stereo - front to back and wall to wall.  MIT claims the Z outlet has to be within 10' of your a/v outlet(s).

I won't be purchasing another, but have purchased some items from alan maher designs.

One note of interest is that the ac in my home is fairly clean. It rarely makes a peep when i'm 'listening' to the noise with the audioprism noisesniffer. All my wiring has been burned in with the hagerman FryCorder as well, which quiets down the lines. With that said, I wasn't expecting any improvement from the MIT outlet but it delivered in a big, big way.

matt

tarquineous

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2011, 02:56 am »
I have an MIT outlet with the smaller filter. It does give a slight improvement, even though I have a few other passive devices on the line.

The filter on the back of the duplex, can be removed easily, and installed onto your favorite duplex. I've alway liked the Oyaide Gold, especially on source components.

The larger filter is probably the way to go, especially for amps.

I would like to buy just the filter module from MIT. Will have to check out Cullen Circuits' module.

The MIT modules fit well and conserve space behind the duplex!