Does your system sound bad when you have a cold?

Pez

Does your system sound bad when you have a cold?
« on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:45 pm »
Listening to my system now. Imaging is off, things just sound bizarre. Hollow and very just plain bad. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's because I have a cold and my ears nose and sinuses have been bugging me.  :scratch: Only other thing I can think of is if over night someone came in my house and screwed with speaker placement and oxo settings.  :o
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2011, 03:44 pm by Pez »

decal

Re: Does your system sound bad when you have a cold?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2011, 06:56 pm »
I'll go out on a limb here and say that it's more than likely your cold symptoms. :duh:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:03 pm »
Listening to my system now. Imagining is off, things just sound bizarre. Hollow and very just plain bad. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's because I have a cold and my ears nose and sinuses have been bugging me.  :scratch: Only other thing I can think of is if over night someone came in my house and screwed with speaker placement and oxo settings.  :o

You caught me.   :wink:

I flew to CO, broke into your house, made small changes to your system, and started a pool on how long it would take you to notice.

George

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:08 pm »
I KNEW IT!  :P

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:11 pm »
Yes, I'd say it's your cold.  I'm not able to listen when I have a cold (which is once every few years)...it sounds like I'm in a tunnel.   :duh:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2011, 07:49 pm »
Can't remember, it's been so long since I had a cold....

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:44 pm »
Probably, but it difinately sounds better after I've had a drink.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:52 pm »
I have sinus problems and I have found that the system doesn't sound as good when the sinuses(?) are semi plugged.

As an aside I was in a good mood this morning and thought my system sounded fantastic... :scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2011, 08:53 pm »
Could be it always has sounded like crap and you're just catching up to the fact. Or not.  :jester:

Just had my flu shot last wednesday and here I thought I was doing it for my health instead of my hearing.  :scratch:   :lol:

Here's a Satfrat System Enhancement tweak for ya Jason,,,,  Neti Pot A saline douche of each nasual passage once a day is not snake oil, it's salt.  :lol:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:26 pm »
Can't remember, it's been so long since I had a cold....

Guess you'll just have to settle for making everyone else sick.  :duh:

Robin,
My system definitely sounds like crap today! And being that perception is reality, I think maybe you might be right.  One day worth of bad sound means I was wrong about tubes all these years.  :(

Edit: Wow! that's one way to serve tea.  :rotflmao: Robin, you freakin crack me up!!!

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:35 pm »
Guess you'll just have to settle for making everyone else sick.  :duh:

Robin,
My system definitely sounds like crap today! And being that perception is reality, I think maybe you might be right.  One day worth of bad sound means I was wrong about tubes all these years.  :(

Edit: Wow! that's one way to serve tea.  :rotflmao: Robin, you freakin crack me up!!!

Jason, I will guarantee my nasual douche tweak or the salt shaker's on the house and your next cup of tea's on me!  :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:45 pm »
Remember that when things like this are ingested thru the nasal cavity, they enter the bloodstream immediately. If you have high blood pressure, you will be inducing a large quantity of salt into your bloodstream. This device is meant to be used with a measured saline solution, not just a bunch of table salt dumped into a pot (or drinking glass).

Just pointing out that there is a mild danger here to some individuals. It does work to clear out clogged sinus cavities, for a while.

Wayner

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:58 pm »
With or without a cold, my system sounds better than the other things I could choose to listen to.  :thumb:

I like rolling tubes when I have a cold. It makes nuances of the valve stand out that I wouldn't otherwise notice.

Hope ya' feel better quick, Pez, 
Jerry

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:22 pm »
Remember that when things like this are ingested thru the nasal cavity, they enter the bloodstream immediately. If you have high blood pressure, you will be inducing a large quantity of salt into your bloodstream. This device is meant to be used with a measured saline solution, not just a bunch of table salt dumped into a pot (or drinking glass).

Just pointing out that there is a mild danger here to some individuals. It does work to clear out clogged sinus cavities, for a while.

Wayner

Well I have no idea if you really know what you're talking about or not Wayner (I do an opinion on that tho) but to clarify for anyone who might actually listen to Wayner, I use CVS products, a CVS Neti Pot and CVS Saline solution packets that easily dissolve in water. I would never abuse my nasual passage with regular table salt all tho I know some that won't spend the extra money for the good stuff.

I am both a diabetic and have high blood pressure and had this recommended to me by my doctor 2 years ago after I lost my job and had to cut prescription costs related to both my allergies and overall respiratory health. I disolve 2 packets in a cup of lukewarm water (1/2 cup per nostril) once a day and I swear by it cuz of the success I've had these last 2 years and I trust my doctors advise.

edit: for anyone who really wants to learn about this, simply Googe "nasal rinse" and "Neti Pot" and do the research on the facts for yourself and talk to your personal doctor.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:33 pm »
Do you actually sniff it up into your nose? Does it burn like crazy??? This topic has gotten interesting.  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:40 pm »
Do you actually sniff it up into your nose? Does it burn like crazy??? This topic has gotten interesting.  :lol:

Watch and learn,,, lots of video examples Jason.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:44 pm »
So, if you use that on your nose when you are stopped up, what do you use when you are constipated?  :P

bside123

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm »
I've been doing the neti practice for over thirty years, so I thought I might chime in.

Your body is basically made up of salt water. When you are able to dial-in the salt/water ratio, there is no burning whatsoever... as a matter of fact, you can hardly feel the water other than it is wet and pours out of your nose. What I mean to say is that there is little to none uncomfortable sensation.

Your nose and tongue will tell you the ratio. Too little salt, you will get burning... largely due to the chemicals in tap water (like in a swimming pool). Too much salt, and the mixture will feel way to astringent... like swimming in the ocean. The taste will become very strong as well. The average amount of salt for the size of the neti pot that Robin is so generously demonstrating would be approximately 1/2 teaspoon (give or take) for the whole pot.

Obviously the best salt to use would salt that is derived from a natural mineral source, i.e., sea, mountains, etc. Even though any salt can be used, I would not recommend most table salt, as typically you will find additives in it, such as chemicals to prevent caking as well as iodine, etc.

You really can't go wrong... except for the learning curve which may include a few yuks and some gagging, but the benefits are extraordinary. Pour through the nostrils from left to right, then right to left, then through each nostril back to the throat and spit the water out of your mouth. Yes, this tweak is directional!

Really, there is no danger to blood pressure. If you like you could add colloidal silver, but that would lead this conversation into a whole other zone, i.e., silver vs. copper; gauge; the composition of the spout (connector) on the pot; and the position of the septum (baffle) in the nose. There should be at least some mystery.  8)

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:55 pm »
Could be it always has sounded like crap and you're just catching up to the fact. Or not.  :jester:

Just had my flu shot last wednesday and here I thought I was doing it for my health instead of my hearing.  :scratch:   :lol:

Here's a Satfrat System Enhancement tweak for ya Jason,,,,  Neti Pot A saline douche of each nasual passage once a day is not snake oil, it's salt.  :lol:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

I guess in this post you used the word "salt". Salt is not saline.

And I have my opinions about you as well.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2011, 10:57 pm »
I've been doing the neti practice for over thirty years, so I thought I might chime in.

Your body is basically made up of salt water. When you are able to dial-in the salt/water ratio, there is no burning whatsoever... as a matter of fact, you can hardly feel the water other than it is wet and pours out of your nose. What I mean to say is that there is little to none uncomfortable sensation.

Your nose and tongue will tell you the ratio. Too little salt, you will get burning... largely due to the chemicals in tap water (like in a swimming pool). Too much salt, and the mixture will feel way to astringent... like swimming in the ocean. The taste will become very strong as well. The average amount of salt for the size of the neti pot that Robin is so generously demonstrating would be approximately 1/2 teaspoon (give or take) for the whole pot.

Obviously the best salt to use would salt that is derived from a natural mineral source, i.e., sea, mountains, etc. Even though any salt can be used, I would not recommend most table salt, as typically you will find additives in it, such as chemicals to prevent caking as well as iodine, etc.

You really can't go wrong... except for the learning curve which may include a few yuks and some gagging, but the benefits are extraordinary. Pour through the nostrils from left to right, then right to left, then through each nostril back to the throat and spit the water out of your mouth. Yes, this tweak is directional!

Really, there is no danger to blood pressure. If you like you could add colloidal silver, but that would lead this conversation into a whole other zone, i.e., silver vs. copper; gauge; the composition of the spout (connector) on the pot; and the position of the septum (baffle) in the nose. There should be at least some mystery.  8)

Are you a doctor?

Wayner