Magnepan MG 3.7 announced today!

gtb75

Magnepan MG 3.7 announced today!
« on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:05 am »
Price range between $5495 and $5895 for pair.  More information (and a photo) here:  http://www.theaudiobeat.com/news/magnepan_mg37.htm

I'm a current MG3.6 owner and will definitely be giving these a listen once my dealer gets a pair.  I've been thrilled with my MG3.6's, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the MG3.7's.  I've never personally made the MG1.6 vs. MG1.7 comparison but, assuming you believe the reviews, it's a significant improvement.  I'd assume we will see a similar level of improvement here, but only time will tell. 

Phil A

Re: Magnepan MG 3.7 announced today!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:13 am »
Wow can wait to hear those.  I still have not gotten around to hear the 1.7s.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:20 am »
Wow is right! 
I'm going to have to get off of my duff and go hear these things.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:53 am »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:59 am »
I told ya months ago it was coming... :D

mcallister

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:34 am »
Exciting news. I'd love to afford a pair of these for a 2 channel setup.

Minn Mark

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:11 pm »
I've got 3.6's, too. Wouldnt it be great if Magnepan offered a trade-up or upgrade ?

Mark

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:35 pm »
I've got 3.6's, too. Wouldnt it be great if Magnepan offered a trade-up or upgrade ?

Mark

I "believe" magnepan sells used sets as well.........I would suspect they do take trade-ins.

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:46 pm »
If you wanted to upgrade, I doubt if you' find any problems finding a buyer. I'll say one thing for Magnepan, they hold their value better than almost anything audio. If the typical gear goes for 50% used, I'd say Maggie is more like 75-80% from what I've seen. Love or hate 'em, somehow that says a whole lot.

Some people seemed to think the bottom would fall out of the market for the 1.6 when the 1.7 came out. Not true. AG has had very few 1.6 offers and the few that were there were still at top price.

gtb75

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:21 am »
In case anybody is interested (I know I am), here's some additional press on them:

http://www.avguide.com/article/magnepan-announces-the-new-magneplanar-37-big-brother-the-17

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20026702-47.html

Sounds interesting to me!

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2010, 07:56 am »
Geesh, this is REALLY exciting news! I am still very much in love with my 3.6s, so I don't see myself upgrading any time soon, but at least now I know what I will upgrade TO when the time is right. While I'll always be interested in what's going on in the world of speakers, the greatest compliment I could ever pay to Magnepan would be to say that I never find myself envious of any other speaker. Maggies give me everything I could ever want, and I expect to be a customer for a very long time.

Here's hoping the 3.7 has a nice long 12 year run just like it's predecessor!  :thumb:

PS. Thanks for those extra links, gtb!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2010, 04:10 pm »
 Next up 20.2s ????

charles

jwes

« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2010, 04:14 pm »
I'm not really that familiar with implementation of planars. Curious how you introduce bass into these systems - are addtl woofers commonplace with these?

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2010, 05:15 pm »
I'm not really that familiar with implementation of planars. Curious how you introduce bass into these systems - are addtl woofers commonplace with these?

I don't run additional subs with my 3.6's.  according to the SPL meter, and a test album, mine run pretty flat* fom 32hz to 16Khz  ( limit of test bands on album and of course room acoustics)
* flatter than any boxed speaker I've owned.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm »

You would typically integrate a subwoofer the same as you would with any other pair of main speakers. Planars can play fairly low, but you need more surface area for higher SPL at the lower frequencies since planar displacement is limited, so integrating a subwoofer can be useful even if you aren't looking for the real low bass frequencies.
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2010, 06:45 pm by NekoAudio »

jwes

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2010, 06:03 pm »
Thanks...  That's what appeared to be the case.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2010, 09:36 pm »

If my M/L reQuests die, these will be the top contender as a replacement. Made here in Minnesota.

Wayner

AVnerdguy

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2010, 09:59 pm »
I have a feeling there will be a pair of 1.7s w/Myestands for sale very soon......

When I bought the 1.7s I was initially looking at 3.6s but the 1.7s had a better soundstage. If the soundstage is as good as promised the decision will be easy. The WAF will be pretty easy as well - she had no objections to the 1.7s and the 3.7 aren't that much bigger (my delussional brain hemisphere talking there).

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:44 pm »
AVnerdguy,
I tried my 1.6s in the downstairs system and the soundstage was too small for my liking.  When you say a better soundstage, do you just mean more coherent? 

AVnerdguy

« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:05 pm »
AVnerdguy,
I tried my 1.6s in the downstairs system and the soundstage was too small for my liking.  When you say a better soundstage, do you just mean more coherent?
The 1.7s have a great sound stage but only in a very select location. The 3.7s can give a wider stage according to the releases so more in the "audience" can get the same effect. That's what I'm after. It will mean not having to fight the animals for the sweet spot position  :lol: