3D-like, Holographic-like, CD Recommendations- "...sounds like its behind me"

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
So its snowing here in Allentown, and I'm listening to Soul Cages by STING and really enjoying the wild imaging this CD has. I know some more like Peter Gabriel's-UP and others are out there that image like crazy, the sound comes from far left or far right, behind you...you know the ones I'm talking about. I'd love to get more please recommend some!!!! :dance:

SlushPuppy

This is the most complete list of "Q sound" recordings you're likely to find.

http://www.qsound.com/spotlight/users/recording-artists.htm

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
I have a lot of albums like that, the latest that I can remember was Weather Report: Heavy Weather. Very dynamic recording.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Wind Chaser

The 300b with the ground loops makes almost every recording come alive in that manner.  Every voice and instrument owns its own piece of real estate in a deep and wide soundstage.  It doesn't require a special recording to achieve that effect with the right gear.

satfrat

• Restricted
The 300b with the ground loops makes almost every recording come alive in that manner.  Every voice and instrument owns its own piece of real estate in a deep and wide soundstage.  It doesn't require a special recording to achieve that effect with the right gear.

I would agree that this is more system dependent than it is simply the recording but there are certain recordings that simply shine in this respect while others will fall short regardless of how dynamic your system is. I'm fortunate to have this holographic more often than not which is a main reason why I have started enjoying stereo more and multichannel less. But I'm still glad I have both to choose from.

Cheers,
Robin

eclein

• Volunteer
I recently changed speakers and the imaging I'm getting with these new monitors is unreal, the music is like 2 feet in front of me and all around-it feels like I could reach out and touch the players. So like Robin mentioned some recordings really use the modern day methods available to really lay us out!!! Those are the ones I'm trying to assemble a list of, and of course start collecting.

Sting- Soul Cages
Peter Gabriel- UP
______________      Please add your favorite to this list I'd like to start..... :thumb: :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

Roger Waters - Amused To Death  :thumb:

sebrof

Not really holographic but definitely "sounds like it's behind me" is from Led Zeppelin II Whole Lotta Love. A couple of minutes in where the music and vocals are swirling around. It really does sound like there are speakers directly behind you.

Wayner

Camel-Coming of Age
XTC-Nonsuch
Queen-Innuendo
Thomas Dolby-The Gate to the Minds Eye
Thomas Dolby-Astronauts and Heretics

Wayner

SlushPuppy

Prefab Sprout - Andromeda Heights (2000)

They used Sensaura 3D Sound Technology on this disc and the effects are great.

Samples

eclein

• Volunteer
Perfect....thank you gentlemen!!! I have "Amused To Death" but haven't listened to it yet...found it for $3 somewhere....
I will definitely check out Thomas Dolby, XTC and Prefab Sprout.....fun stuff!!! :dance:

Kinger

Amused to Death is an awesome album.  Love PULSE by Pink Floyd and In The Flesh by Roger Waters as well.  Always thought the latter two sounded great and now I realize why being that they were recorded in Q sound as well.

eclein

• Volunteer
Listening to Amused to Death now... Wow, this will get played now... Alot!!!

Wind Chaser

I would agree that this is more system dependent than it is simply the recording but there are certain recordings that simply shine in this respect while others will fall short

The first two recordings I ever recall were 'Sympathy For The Devil' by the Stones (and no, I'm not a Satanist) the piano extended way beyond the soundstage on the right side as if coming from another room.  That effect was delivered with a entry Yamaha receiver and a $400 pair of Canadian made speakers using lamp cord.  Those were the days of Monster Cable.  The other recording was the song 'The Old Homestead' by Neil Young from his Hawks and Doves album.  There's a high pitched whistle that also sounded like came from another room.  This was on the same system. 

timind

• permanent vacation
The Delgados - The Great Eastern
During track 2 there is a sound that comes from behind my left shoulder, first time I heard it I thought someone was in the room with me. Freaked me out. I had listened to the cd several times before I noticed it but man it is very noticeable. Made me pick up the cd to see if it had any special processing.

GeorgeHudetz

Tori Amos Scarlet's Walk has a few tracks that wrap around you like a pair of headphones.  Pretty cool.

Great album in general.

rodge827

+1 :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted

+1 :thumb:

-:thumb:

jtsnead

Fever Ray

eclein

• Volunteer
I'm saving up for a tube amp, but for now my Virtue Audio gear is perfect for my setup. We all read about system synergy and right now mine is quite good, in fact it's excellent right now. The combination of the TWO.2 and Piano with the tube DAC-09 is truly special right now- at least this week.