Any "TV-series-on-DVD-Junkies" here?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:10 am »
I've been really buying a lot of TV shows on DVD lately.  To date I've got Babylon 5, Star Trek: TNG, Voyager, Lexx, Farscape & Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Most of the time the series on DVD looks immensely better than the show ever did on cable, and it rocks to be able to watch a story arc w/o commercials and with hours of uninterrupted episodes.  I just watched Buffy, season 4 in about 2 days! :o

I'd like to get the old Battlestar Galactica for the old-school-cheese factor, and eventually I'll probably buy ER on DVD, too.

Any other fans of TV on DVD?

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:15 am »
Well, I started my TV-On-DVD collection with Dark Angel Season 1 & 2 from Japan (it was waaay before it'd been announced anywhere else in the world), which was kinda spendy at $300 a Season... :(

Have picked up Season 1 of The Simpsons (was $11 at BB one week).

Also have Punk'd, Chapelle's Show, Alias Seasons 1 & 2, South Park Seasons 1, 2, 3, & a few random "best of/theme" discs, The Transformers Season 1.

But I wouldn't mind getting a few more. Like Buffy, ST:TNG, X-Files, maybe Voyager or DS9, G.I. Joe. I'm sure there's a few more, just not coming to mind at the moment...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:25 am »
My sister has all the Stargate SG-1; the picture isn't awe inspiring, but not bad.  I liked DS-9 to a degree, but probably not enough to buy it, at least not all of it (probably the Worf seasons & the stuff with the Dominion).

One of my all time favorites is "Married- With Childred," and I've got Season 1, just chomping at the bit for Season 2.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2004, 05:31 am »
Forgot about Lexx. Need to get that at some point...

Rob, you should pick up Alias. Then make sure you've got a couple days open as you won't want to stop watching. It certainly kept my ass on the couch for a good deal of time. Hated waiting for season two. Wish they'd hurry up & release season three... :cry:

bob82274

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2004, 06:37 am »
Have the First 3 seasons of the Simpsons, the first Season of Futurama, the entire series of Family Guy, and the entire series of Cowboy Bebop (the only anime series that I ever got into).  I also have Band of Brothers if that counts... (Does anyone have From the Earth to the Moon and if so how is it?)

On DS-9... unfortunatly as a poor college student I don't have the money to shell out the $100+ a season for the DVD collection.  So like any good college student I had to download it.  At 10GB a season (7 seasons) it was a pain and hogs up a ton of HD space, but I have to say its been worth it.  I'v watched halfway through season 3 and I have found the show to be quite good (video isn't bad for downloading but would have prefered the DVDs).  I particularly like the Odo/Quark relationship.  If I had the money I would have bought all of the seasons after just seeing a few episodes from the first season.

And bubba don't they have to finish shooting season 3 for them to release it? Or is it season 4 now?

Captain Humble

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2004, 11:42 am »
My wife and I had never seen "24 Hours" with Kiefer Southerland.
Picked up season one, disc one and couldn't stop watching until we completed season two.  IMHO it's the best television series of all time.

A girlfriend of ours bought "Six Feet Under".  She asked us to give it a try and we quite liked it.  A bit strange but interesting.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2004, 12:33 pm »
Ah, Jennifer Garner... :inlove:

nathanm

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2004, 07:14 pm »
I've got the whole Monty Python box set (14 discs).  1st season DVDs of "The Simpsons", and "South Park". Got the "The Critic" set and there's a few Dr. Katz episodes I got as well, although those are on VHS.  Picked up "Stephen King's The Shining" DVDs which I suppose qualifies as TV even though it's a movie in miniseries format.  Never saw it the first time it aired but somebody told me it was pretty good.

The advertising alone makes me disinterested in any show no matter how good it is.  To be able to watch something you liked on DVD without the freaking ads is a real treat.  Usually by the 2nd commerical break I'm tuned out and go off to do something else.

I heard that there's supposed to be a Seinfeld DVD but some of the cast didn't wanna participate or something. I dunno, this was second hand info.  If so, that's a shame.  That sucker will make another mint for sure.  The thing I admire most about Seinfeld is that they killed it as it was starting to run out of steam.  Very good idea! :)  Quit while you're ahead indeed!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2004, 07:35 pm »
I've drooled over the Monte Python discs for quite awhile, I just never feel like spending that much cash on them.  Still, it would be worth is just for the LumberJack Song & the Parrot Sketch! :lol:

On a series-related note, I just read that there's a movie in the works based on Joss Whedon's "Firefly" series.  It's called "Eternity", if I remember correctly, and the entire cast of the TV series will be in it.

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:05 pm »
I have quite a few, but Star Trek TNG is my fav set. This coming week
I should start the 1st set of Voyager & Kung Fu.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:17 pm »
I hate the crappy box the TNG series comes in.  I'll probably make my own cases for them using slim double DVD cases.  The Voyage case is even worse.  Still, a great series.

"Son of the Beach" is another great series, and just friggin' hilarious.  The cool thing is it's packed in slim cases already and the whole series is only about $25.  ("Notch Johnson"- he he! :lol: ).

mca

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:40 pm »
Would love to start collecting the X-Files series, but there so spendy. I guess it's time to start checking out Ebay. Speaking of that, can someone tell me what the name of the X-files movie was? I've been wanting to pick that up for a while but having trouble finding it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:41 pm »
"Fight The Future," I think.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2004, 10:54 pm »
I just saw in the BB flyer that Married... Season 2 will be out this Tues! :hyper:   Ah, Kelly... :inlove:

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2004, 11:42 pm »
I watch TV Show DVD's far more than I do DVD movies.  I own The Simpsons seasons 2 and 3, Futurama seasons 1 and 2,  Three's Company season 1, Family Guy seasons 1 thru 3, and King of the Hill Seasons 1 and 2.

Michael

Hantra

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2004, 12:46 am »
I swear if they don't bring Miami Vice out on DVD. . .  I'm gonna. .   I'm gonna. . . Well. . .  I'm NOT going to buy it if they don't.  So there!!!!   :lol:

Andrikos

« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2004, 11:27 pm »
Curb your Enthusiasm (Larry David is freaking hilarious!)
Six feet under
The Simpsons
The Sopranos
Sex and the City

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2004, 12:04 pm »
I can't believe no one has mentioned SportsNight - this is one of my all-tiem fav TV shows.  Written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) in the same frenetic style, and patterned after Sports Center in the heyday of Craig kilbourne and Keith Olberman.  Ran for only two seasons and maybe part of a third, I got hooked on this TiVo'ing the Comedy Central channel at 3am.  All these people have tuned up on other shows (Casey on Six Feet Under (another favorite), Natalie on Ed, Dana on Frasier, Jeremy on West Wing, etc etc).  Do yourself a favor and check this out.

Also, I see that the BBC version of Coupling is out now, tho I've recorded most of these off BBCA.  If you've only seen the American version put aside your prejudice and try this.  A British cross between Friends and Sex and the City.

Have my eye on the Dr. Who series and Fawlty Towers.  I'm sure we will get Six Feet Under and The Sopranos, tho the latter is so darned expensive.

Captain, we also were thinking of getting 24as we too haven't seen a single episode but have heard great things.

bubba966

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2004, 04:37 pm »
Quote from: bob82274
And bubba don't they have to finish shooting season 3 for them to release it? Or is it season 4 now?

I don't have a clue what season they're currently showing. I've never watched a single episode of Alias on air. Only watched them on DVD.

And I just found out that they aren't releasing season 3 on DVD until 9/7/04... :cry:

bubba966

« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2004, 04:40 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I hate the crappy box the TNG series comes in.  I'll probably make my own cases for them using slim double DVD cases.  The Voyage case is even worse.

How's this for a better case for Voyager? http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1874210