Bryston Dealer To Be Proud Of

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Dealer To Be Proud Of
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:20 pm »
Hi Phil

So do think the future market will be consumer driven and dealers that get mired in their own preferences disappear?

james

BrysTony

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:34 pm »
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas metroplex which is said to be the 5th largest market in the USA.  There is one Bryston dealer in Dallas - no others.  A while back I tried contacting this dealer by phone several times over 3 days.  I never got an answer and there was no answering machine.  So I drove from Fort Worth to Dallas and found that the dealer was in a residential area - a small house that needed repair and there was no sign.  There was a van in the driveway with the name of the dealer on it.  There was no activity and it did not appear that anyone was home.  I chose to leave.  As far as I am concerned, audioadvisor.com, dedicatedaudio.com or audiogon is the source of Bryston equipment.  I wish there was a Bryston dealer to be proud of in this area.
Tony

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:45 pm »
Phil,

a good point of view. and I agree that a customer cannot expect his dealer to carry all products of all brands. but it was indeed dissapointing that I didn't have the chance to audition any of the combinations that I was interested in at that time...so I bought 'em "unheard". gladly Bryston gave me all that I wanted.
however, we were in Florida this year and I went to two dealers and it was a pleasure to talk to some guys who knew what Bryston products are all about. and yes, I had the chance to audition the new 4B SSTsq :green:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:46 pm »
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas metroplex which is said to be the 5th largest market in the USA.  There is one Bryston dealer in Dallas - no others.  A while back I tried contacting this dealer by phone several times over 3 days.  I never got an answer and there was no answering machine.  So I drove from Fort Worth to Dallas and found that the dealer was in a residential area - a small house that needed repair and there was no sign.  There was a van in the driveway with the name of the dealer on it.  There was no activity and it did not appear that anyone was home.  I chose to leave.  As far as I am concerned, audioadvisor.com, dedicatedaudio.com or audiogon is the source of Bryston equipment.  I wish there was a Bryston dealer to be proud of in this area.
Tony

Hi Tony

This is news to me. Can you send me a private email with the dealers name please.

James

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:57 pm »
James, unfortunately the lack of the quantity of quality dealers hurts manufacturers and consumers more than it hurts those dealers.  As long as they have a following for what they are selling and making money with less competition from local stores the dealers are good to go.  If you're not one of the manufacturers that the dealer prefers you may be out of luck in that market as is the consumer who will look to the internet and consider used.  At one point the dealer I noted, who would not get a 14BSST on the floor (when the list was something like $6k) had an amp from his favorite company sitting unhooked up on a coffee table in one of his sound rooms.  The particular brand he favors builds speakers that permit going active and adding additional amps.  I've tried to talk to him from time to time.  I am a customer, not a guinea pig (and I was that way many moons ago and got the shorter end of things that were not cheap).  So I don't frequent the place as much.  If there is something he carries that I want, I don't mind buying it.  He is good in other ways.  He is closed Sundays and Mondays and if I want to try something he would have no problem regardless of how expensive it is letting me take it home at closing on Saturday and bringing it back at lunch time on Tuesday. 

I'm sure I'll buy some stuff from him.  I'm not ready for a BDP-1 at this point. I have the Squeezebox Touch and early next year will be a PC more optimized to storing digital music files.  When I'm ready to consider an upgrade, I hope he carries one (but he sells a music server/DAC from his favorite brand that costs more). 

I can tell you a quick story.  Years back I had a couple of friends who worked there part time.  I did set-ups installs over many years and then we would go out for a couple of beers and come back to the store where I had access to things and started making my own cables with expensive stuff to compare it to on my terms.  He is a Marantz dealer but would not carry the 8260 CD/SACD unit as he was afraid at $1k it would take away sales from his favorite brand's $1.8k and $3.6k CD only players.  I met another friend who lives close by doing his set-up and he came into the store asking about SACD and went home with the $3.6k player.  I was considering the 8260 but it had no level controls for the center and surrounds and my SP1.7 does not either.  I downloaded the manual and gave it to both my friends who worked at the store.  They both bought it at their sales person rate.  When the owner was not their one Saturday one of my friends who worked brought his personal unit in and sold three of them.  The dealer then carried.  The friend I met who bought the $3.6k player only a month before was really furious as they danced around the issue and he would have considered the $1k 8260 (not to mention he owned probably 30-40 CDs when he bought the unit). 

To make it worse, he borrowed the 8260 at closing that Saturday and came home and wanted to try multi-channel but forgot to borrow cables.  He called me since I lived a half mlle away.  He asked for 3 identical pairs of cables.  I told him all I had was my home made cables.  I brought them over (took them off one of my players) and left them with him.  He had bought really expensive cables that were another favorite of the dealer.  I think the single ended cables from his CD player to his preamp were $650 list and the balanced cables from the preamp left and right out to the amp were $1,095 list and they gave him 10% off.  His $3.6k CD player had 2 identical RCA sets out.  Unknown to me, he did A/B comparisons (which I had done many times in the store after closing) and there was a night and day difference and he called me the next night to hear expecting me to be surprised.  I ended up making cables for him at cost.  He did learn that the dealer doesn't look at for his wallet or his preferences but instead just is looking to sell.

We all have different tastes and with limited things to audition at a local dealer customers are left to buy used or go to the internet.  I hope he carries a BDP-1 when I'm ready.  At one point probably 5 years back, he told me DACs are passe - a thing of the 80s (I tried not to laugh).  He now has a couple including the BDA-1 and his favorite brand no longer makes a stand alone CD player.  I have 3 systems and I tend to rotate from the main system to the secondary bedroom or basement systems when I upgrade.  At this point I am leaning towards a preamp with HT bypass and a processor I can rotate to the basement system when it becomes somewhat outdated in 5 years.  He does carry brands that have preamps with this feature and the preamps are not cheap, but they are not on his floor (I asked my friend who used to work there not that long ago after he helped out on a day when the owner was away).  So as a customer, I am left to do some research (reviews, forums) and probably get something lightly used.  That's just the way it is.  If he doesn't end up carrying a BDP-1 when I'm ready to consider one, my best bet is probably the used market.  If it doesn't work out for me for whatever reason, I can sell it and not be burned that badly.  I bought my 6BSST and 14BSST amps 7+ years back lightly used for the same reasons.  I can probably sell them today (after prices increases and US dollar declines) for not terribly different than what I paid.  I don't mind paying someone a fair price for the convenience of auditioning it or trying it in my system.  That is only fair.  If I am to be a guinea pig, it will be on terms that are more favorable to me such as the used market.

BrysTony

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:58 pm »
Hi Tony

This is news to me. Can you send me a private email with the dealers name please.

James

Done - email sent.

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:03 pm »
Tony

Yes - that is what I was trying to say but I went off on more of a tangent to give an example of what is happening in high end audio :duh:  Not for Bryston but I drove a bit over an hour and a half to look at stuff at a dealer with similar results as going to my local Bryston dealer except for a different product and I left after 10 minutes.  So I drove for over 3 hours for nothing.  Audiogon has become more of a local dealer to me (I have been talking to a local guy about a preamp recently) than the real audio dealers.  At least with many people there you can get a real sense of what they used with it and why it worked or didn't work for them and if they are local you can audition it.

servingko

« Reply #27 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:54 pm »
I can't even remember the last time I went to a local dealer.  Occasionally I will seek out a retailer when I am traveling for work, but Audiogon has been my source to "demo" items since they started some 10-12 years ago.  I have owned 34 Bryston pieces over the years and currently have another 4BSST2 on the way via FedEx.  I don't mind investing my own money to audition the items that I want to hear, at home in MY system and MY room.

As far as I am concerned the local retailers offer me little to nothing in exchange for my time or money.  Unfortunately, speakers are a bit different and I have gone out of my way to audition speakers either at a dealer or in someone's home that owned them and was kind enough to allow me to listen.

There is one local retailer that sells out of his home but it truly is a showroom with several systems setup throughout the house.  It is a refreshing approach that allows for a comfortable audition in properly scaled and appointed rooms.  Interestingly enough, I came to learn about him through Audigon and ultimately purchased some Maggies from him that he had taken in trade on the sale of the same speakers I had gone to audition.  Unfortunately he is not a Bryston dealer.  We have two Bryston dealers listed, one with a store front and little  inventory, although I haven't been by in a long while, and another custom installer that works out of his home with little or no showroom from what I could gather in a couple of conversations over the phone.  He was more than happy to order what I wanted.

They all need to do what they feel is necessary to survive and make a living, but I personally feel too many of them don't really know their customer base, the changing market, and are ignoring the writing on the wall.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #28 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:12 pm »
Hi Tony

James

James,

if ready: try Google's streetview to take a look at the dealer's place :o

al.

bjski

« Reply #29 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:36 pm »
I live in New Jersey and I bought my first Bryston 4B from my local dealer who let me bring it home,try it 1985. I later purchased a 4bst from him. He no longer carries Bryston. I purchase my BDA-1 from an authorized dealer on-line as my 4bsst/2. I'm now getting 7BSST/2 from authorized dealer and they need to be shipped to me. I nerver had a chance to audition them. I guess what I'm trying to say  not many dealers in my area are carrying a full line of Bryston products.I'm now purchasing Bryston products from being a previous owner and Bryston reputation. I'm guessing dealers no longer have the money to carry a full product line. My rant.......

Phil A

« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:44 pm »
I live in New Jersey and I bought my first Bryston 4B from my local dealer who let me bring it home,try it 1985. I later purchased a 4bst from him. He no longer carries Bryston. I purchase my BDA-1 from an authorized dealer on-line as my 4bsst/2. I'm now getting 7BSST/2 from authorized dealer and they need to be shipped to me. I nerver had a chance to audition them. I guess what I'm trying to say  not many dealers in my area are carrying a full line of Bryston products.I'm now purchasing Bryston products from being a previous owner and Bryston reputation. I'm guessing dealers no longer have the money to carry a full product line. My rant.......

It's not a rant at all.  Many of the entry level high end dealers have been pushed out of business by things like Best Buy's Magnolia.  They can't compete.  Some places have opened primarily for home theater installs but carry some higher end brands and are typically not located in high cost retail centers, more likely in office/industrial space where they have their administrative offices as well as show rooms.  The dealers that are left are fewer and in many cases they are the only game in town.  Sometimes they are willing to work with you.  If they are doing OK, many times they don't care.  I wouldn't in many cases mind paying for shipping if they can get something I'd want.  If I'm out a little bit of money to get a chance to try something I don't have a problem.  They don't want to carry the expense of inventory for many things and they expect the customer to bear the risk of trying something.  Their attitude is that it is their capital at risk and if you don't like it go somewhere else.  As I noted, I'm not a guinea pig for retail prices at this point.

1ZIP

« Reply #31 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:06 pm »
We just got a Bryston dealer here, actually the only one in the state of WA.  He has a basic set-up Amp/Pre/CD player.  Frankly, I wouldn't expect much more than that, at least at this point.  He has a nice showroom with some good lines of gear and the policy on in-home auditions is excellent.  The important thing is what he does have is showcased to emphasize the gears best attributes.  But it is going to take some time and sales to warrant more inventory, given the economy and the visibility of the Bryston brand.

What's disturbing is that chains like Magnolia HIFI, aka Best Buy carry McIntosh and B&W.  That would not be a bad thing since they do carry an extensive inventory but, at least in my experience and others with two large stores, the sales people have very little knowledge of the gear and are clueless overall, the gear they do have is poorly showcased and their in-home audition policy is non-existent.  And what's really disturbing is they don't seem to care.  I saw a rack of what must have been easily $70K worth of McIntosh gear so poorly set-up that my table radio sounded better.  I doubt if any of the rest of their lines fared any better.  Frankly, I would never buy from stores like Mag. but, that's just me.

So, I would just as soon have a small store with a limited selection of gear but with knowledgeable audio staff and good policies as opposed to what I have experienced with the larger stores.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #32 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:06 am »
No BRYSTON dealers here in Vegas! I had to go through Southern California dealers to get my BRYSTON gear!

1ZIP

« Reply #33 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:05 am »
Ya, when I lived there I got mine out of Texas!

whatsthisone

« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:00 am »
1Zip, which listed Bryston dealer in Washington State actually carries Bryston products?
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm by whatsthisone »

1ZIP

« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:20 am »

They were awarded the dealership about two months ago. I was their first paying Bryston customer.  I believe that Larry is going to have some Bryston focused event in the near future. I imagine after CES.

http://www.resolutionaudiovideoseattle.com/

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:49 am »
Looks like a cool dealer.

GaryArthur

« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2010, 08:25 am »
No BRYSTON dealers here in Vegas! I had to go through Southern California dealers to get my BRYSTON gear!

I bought my first Brystons 8 years ago here in Vegas from a local dealer, but they no longer exist. So I also bought by newest Brystons from a Dealer in Los Angeles. Vegas is great for audio for four days in January but the rest of the year it's a desert.

Got my badge for CES  :D

95Dyna

« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:10 pm »
Tony

Hi Brystony,

I live about 2 hours north of Phil and can confirm the scarcity of Bryston products to audition in the Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington Central PA area ( a combined market of between 10 and 15 million people).  The first time I saw a 7B SST2 is when I opened the box at home.  You have an excellent dealer in Texas although in San Antonio.  I bought all my stuff from Galen Carol Audio and have been very happy with his knowledge, patience and pricing.  I live in PA so the transaction was no different than it would be with Audio Advisor or Music Direct.  Even if you can't make it down to SA I'd give Galen a shot at your business.  He will reward multiple and repeat purchases in my experience.  I bought my VPI Classic, Benz Wood SL and Torus CS15 from him as well.

BrysTony

« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:35 pm »

Hi Brystony,

I live about 2 hours north of Phil and can confirm the scarcity of Bryston products to audition in the Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington Central PA area ( a combined market of between 10 and 15 million people).  The first time I saw a 7B SST2 is when I opened the box at home.  You have an excellent dealer in Texas although in San Antonio.  I bought all my stuff from Galen Carol Audio and have been very happy with his knowledge, patience and pricing.  I live in PA so the transaction was no different than it would be with Audio Advisor or Music Direct.  Even if you can't make it down to SA I'd give Galen a shot at your business.  He will reward multiple and repeat purchases in my experience.  I bought my VPI Classic, Benz Wood SL and Torus CS15 from him as well.

95dyna,
Thanks for the tip on the dealer.  I just checked out his website.  San Antonio is about a 5 hour drive but I do get down there periodically.  I will definitely check it out next time I am there.
Thanks,
Tony