Unifield 3

Eirikje

Unifield 3
« on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:04 pm »
Any owners who wish to share their experiences? Absolute Sound says the Unifield mustbe biwired. Is this true?

mhconley

Re: Unifield 3
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:22 pm »
There are separate binding posts on each module that are spaced quite far apart so you'll either need a pair of long jumpers between them or biwire with two separate sets of cables.

Martin

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:14 am »
The best small room loudspeaker I've ever heard. They are extremely resolving, coherent and capable of portraying the gamut of emotions in the music.

This very level of resolution however, along with very little of their own color makes the proper choice of upstream components very important.

The Unifield 3s now come with a template for positioning the top module. I would recommend however that any U3 owner, experiment with the placement according to his own preference.

Afterimage

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:41 am »
I just got mine set up.  I had a friend do it for me because I am physically disabled for a few weeks so setup it not optimal at this time.  I will work on that more when I am better.  One thing I am concerned about is it seems like they could tip over fairly easily.  Is that normal?    What is up with that?  The sound out of the box is pretty good,  but not nearly as good as I have heard in my room.  Way to early to comment on it anyway.  Lots of break in to go and as I said I have to make sure placement is optimal.  On top of that, I don't have my main amp in the system yet, should be a week or two until I get it back.  More later.

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:03 am »
The stands induced paranoia in me too at first. A lot of Blu Tack solved that for me. Get well soon!

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:21 pm »
Afterimage,

You will need to fill the stands with sand or lead shot. This will help the spikes couple to the floor and stabilize the speaker/stand. And as jack mentioned blue tak works great to couple the bass cabinet with the stands. I have also had customers use Herbie sticky dots to good effect, but the blue tak works great for me. Make sure you get the actual blu tak and not the yellow like compound. You can use the blu tak to couple the head unit with the bass cabinet as well. You have to give the U3's some time to break in and you will be greatly rewarded with some time spent moving them around.

Scott

Afterimage

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
Thanks Scott.  Yeah, I will be sure and fill the stands.  I know most speakers improve with break in, but do the Unifeild 3s do so more than others?  In other words is there more upside with these with break in compared to most speakers?

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:59 am »
I think VS' in general improve over time more than any speakers I've owned except maybe Revels. Most take 50 to 100 hours, VSAs about 300 to 400 hours to be close to their best. It's a bit of a chore but the rewards are worth it IMO. Not only do they smoothen up and open up in the extremes, they open up spatially too. This is perhaps the biggest thing. One day you wake up and the stage is HUGE. It's kind of like waiting to video your baby's first steps. It just happens.

Afterimage

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:22 am »
Good deal, it is nice to have more sound improvements to look forward to. 

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:00 am »
Not to mention you've got an upgraded version of your amp to look forward to as well  :thumb:

Afterimage

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:57 am »
Oh yeah, that amp should be here hopefully at the end of this week.  By the way, I have been to your city, Manilla.  I spent most of my time in Cebu city when I was in the Philippines. 

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:46 pm »
Please let me know the next time you're over here, I have a lot of friends in Cebu too. I like Cebu a lot. Good relaxed vibe over there.

JackD201

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2011, 01:46 pm »
Yeah, what do you know is right...for once Valin gets it right  :duh:

Afterimage

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2011, 04:43 pm »
Anyone use the Uni 3s with a sub?  Just curious which ones could potentially work well with them.  Thanks.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:15 pm »
Hello Afterimage,

I must have mised this item.

We have the complete Unifield line in our studio.

Also we have the Shock Wave 12 in our HT system and made the combination with the Unifield III.

It depends of the your room if the Uni's need more support in the botom.
The Unifield is designed for small(er) rooms and in most cases a sub is a bit overdone. I like them as they are, also is Jack.

But,...there is always one way to discover,....indeed, just try.
The Shock Wave 12 is a very good partner.

We use a custom made stand for the Unies.
A 50 kg steady marble base giving the Unies the best performence.

Good luck,

Cor

wimck

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:02 pm »
Hello all!

I have the marble stands from Cor and I'm extremely happy with them!  This couple even fits better then the ones Cor showed  :D
Gives the Unifield's a much better look.

Afterimage

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:50 pm »
Well, it looks like from most of the pictures I have seen Uni 3 owners have them fairly close to the walls.  In that case, I can see not needing a sub but If I wanted to  pull them out in the room some more for better imaging I may give up some bass. 

wimck

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2011, 07:58 am »
Oh, to share my biwire connection setting! I'm using Harmonic Technology Pro 9  cable which are actually two seperated wires. One fatty for the lower cabinet (sub) and one less thick one for the upper cabinet.  I'm absolutely happy with them and does not feel the need to, even thinking about, replacing them.

Steve

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jul 2011, 07:26 pm »
Heard them here and I can vouch an absolutely incredible speaker.

Cheers.