Unifield 3

wimck

Re: Unifield 3
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2011, 06:38 am »
Any owners who wish to share their experiences? Absolute Sound says the Unifield mustbe biwired. Is this true?

I think it's not that kind to open a topic, ask a question, people try to help and then never give back a reaction!  :nono:

Alonski

« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2011, 07:00 am »
Heard them here and I can vouch an absolutely incredible speaker.

Cheers.

My Unifield 3s arrive tomorrow.  Can't wait! Will be driving them with VAC amps and an awesome analogue front end...

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm »
Well congratulations mr. Alonski.

You will enjoy every minute of the music they will give.

Happy listening,

Cor

Alonski

« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2011, 09:36 am »
Well congratulations mr. Alonski.

You will enjoy every minute of the music they will give.

Happy listening,

Cor

Thanks Cor, as well as all you VSA owners who take the time to write... your words have been very helpful. I made the decision to buy the U3s without ever hearing them, which was a big risk. Your enthusiasm as a group helped me take this chance.

I've had my first evening with the U3s and they are works of art. So far, without the benefit of proper set up, adjustments, measurements or experimentation, I'm stunned. Even my wife said "Wow!" We have never heard sound like this in our living room and all we did was swap out the Thiel CS2s for the VSAs.

I was a bit nervous, having loved my Thiels for years... but these amazing little gems made our small room into a concert hall, blowing out the walls and ceiling and presenting a soundstage that is almost unbelievable (although skewed to the left side for some reason I haven't figured out yet).

The Unifield 3s seem to love my upstream components: Townshend Rock 7 turntable, Excalibur 3 tone arm, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, VAC Standard LE Preamp, VAC Phi 200 amplifier and one component that surprised the hell out of me, the PurePower 1050 AC Power Regenerator! I can't believe how providing perfect, clean AC power to my gear has improved the sound. Almost as dramatic as this speaker upgrade.

The only thing I am unimpressed by are the U3's stands... wow, are they ugly. I love your granite ones, Cor. Send me a PM if you know how I can get these or similar in California.

Glad to have a group of music lovers to talk with. looking forward to hearing and sharing ideas and experiences with you all.

Cheers,
Alon (No, not Alon Wolf, maker of Magico speakers. Although I did meet him at the California Audio Show recently... nice guy, great speakers, but a bit out of my price range)

JackD201

« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2011, 06:01 am »
Hi Alon,

Congratulations! Now just wait and see how much BETTER they will get after a few hundred hours  :thumb:

I saw some really cool stands c/o a company recommended by "Mr. Big Passive" Violetmachan. I believe the company name is track audio.

http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/precision/precision.html

Enjoy!

Jack

Afterimage

« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2011, 11:01 am »
Jack, is the stand at the bottom (200 mm) the one that could work with the Uni 3s?  Those do look great.

JackD201

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2011, 11:42 am »
Yup that's the one. I do have Cor's custom stands too and they are purdy in a more classic way. These ones are all high tech looking with the built in bubble level and ratchet feet. I know, I'm such a gadget freak.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alonski

« Reply #27 on: 25 Sep 2011, 03:15 am »
Hi Alon,

Congratulations! Now just wait and see how much BETTER they will get after a few hundred hours  :thumb:

I saw some really cool stands c/o a company recommended by "Mr. Big Passive" Violetmachan. I believe the company name is track audio.

http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/precision/precision.html

Enjoy!

Jack

Thanks Jack, et al,

Here's an update and a question: I wrote Albert a note and thought I would share my excitement with you fellow madmen.

Hi Albert,

Well, it may not be Jimmy Manila's system, but after lots of experimentation and listening, tonight my Unifield 3s dialed in. Like magic, the whole system came together and the sound coming out of these speakers is the best I've ever heard. Was definitely worth all the tweaking. A friend came over to listen and his jaw dropped to the floor. I'm really happy with my choice of the U3s. The idea of adding subwoofers is almost too exciting... would turn this place into a concert hall!

OK, here's my question: the U3s came alive at 28" from the back wall, throwing a crazy good soundstage which is way wider, deeper and taller than I thought possible... and although the bass is tight and fast, there's a considerable drop off in this room. Can anyone recommend a small, fast sub that is reasonably priced so I can buy a pair?

Thanks in advance,
Alon (the new VSA convert)

JackD201

« Reply #28 on: 25 Sep 2011, 09:04 am »
Hi Alon,

I'm glad you're lovin' that U3!

Hmmmm. There's always the Shockwave 12s. I also like REL subs and JL F112s which we've mated successfully with SRs in bigger rooms. Your bass will get tighter, faster and deeper in a few weeks so maybe it's best to see where they level out before you go and buy one just to avoid getting over spec'd/over spent.

Congratulations again!

Jack

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2011, 01:15 pm »
Don't rule out the lowly Velodyne Optimum 12.

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Best sub for Uni 3?
« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2011, 08:09 am »
VSA is coming out with a Limited Edition run of our small VR-S/1 mini-sub, renamed the ShockWave V-10, using an extremely high quality 10" long-throw sub with a titanium cone, dual 4" voice coils for push-pull operation, and a 600-watt Class A/B amplifier that has incredible punch.  We designed this model to complement our UniField series of small monitoring speaker systems, and thus the new ShockWave V-10 has been designed around extremely fast transient response.  It is flat to below 20Hz as it has built-in low frequency boost compensation to keep the cabinet size small.  We used several brands of highly regarded subs as comparisons and I've got to admit that some of the competitors sound great - they're also 2 to 5 times more expensive than our new mini sub, though.

We're building a limited edition run of 25 units using U.S.-built cabinets and drivers, very heavy duty stuff.  If anyone is interested in one of these first 25 units, please contact us at the factory in Riverside at (951) 682-0706.  Retail is $1,500 each.

Happy Listening as always,
Albert Von Schweikert

scb

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2012, 11:05 pm »
Bon Iver's "Bon Iver" sounds excellent on my unified 3s right now