Transporter Verses BDP-1

ricko01

Transporter Verses BDP-1
« on: 9 Dec 2010, 10:23 pm »
I am looking to potentially get a BDP-1 to replace my Transporter.

Can any owner of a Transporter who now has a BDP-1 comment on sound quality differences? (noting that I use a BDA-1 with the Transporter, not the Transporters native DAC/analogue outs)

Putting aside any sound quality differences, I like the transporter as I just use its front screen to navigate via its remote (i.e. don’t use any handheld or PC device).

So the BDP-1 has some issues for me from a navigation perspective:

1- The front BDP-1 screen is much smaller,  so don’t know if I will be able to read it as well from the listening position

2- The BDP-1  doesn’t come with any remote so that’s an additional cost

3- I don’t own any handheld devices that could be used for navigation nor do I want to have to use a laptop in my listening room

So given these challenges/additional costs with using the BDP-1, its really comes down to a superior sound quality over the Transporter

Any comments appreciated.

Peter

Sasha

Re: Transporter Verses BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:53 pm »
I have not tried either of the two, but I did have extensive experience with BCD-1, BDA-1, BP26, and a whole range of amplifiers, as well as Squeezebox and other similar products, and Squeezebox had very poor performance, what made me build my own PC based transport and not even consider Squeezebox or other products available at the time.
It is all about the engineering and execution, and knowing those other Bryston products I am willing to bet that BDP-1 would offer better performance. As far as looks, features, functionality goes, cannot comment.

whanafi

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:01 pm »
Not sure which Squeezebox products you used, but the Transporter and Touch both work beautifully with or without an external DAC.  I have my Transporter dual wired to a BDA-1 and directly to the BP26 - for most everything I have listened to, I can't hear a difference.

I would be hard pressed to give up the convenience of the whole Squeezebox Server/NAS storage on the network/iPeng on the iPAD. 

The BDP-1 appears from comments to be doing a good job for people, just don't feel like going back to having to put media (USB sticks) in and out of a device.

Napalm

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:11 pm »

[...] just don't feel like [...] having to put media [...] in and out of a device.

Real men actually like doing it.

Nap.  :jester:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:29 pm »
Not sure which Squeezebox products you used, but the Transporter and Touch both work beautifully with or without an external DAC.  I have my Transporter dual wired to a BDA-1 and directly to the BP26 - for most everything I have listened to, I can't hear a difference.

I would be hard pressed to give up the convenience of the whole Squeezebox Server/NAS storage on the network/iPeng on the iPAD. 

The BDP-1 appears from comments to be doing a good job for people, just don't feel like going back to having to put media (USB sticks) in and out of a device.

Hi Folks,

Yes I would agree that the BDP-1 is not for someone wanting the convenience of a NAS and all their thousands of albums and music stored in one location. Although going forward we are looking at a dedicated NAS that would connect to the BDP-1.

But it is also incorrect to think that the BDP-1 is causing the listener to constantly get up and down to plug in USB’s at every turn.  You can get thousands of songs and albums on the larger USB drives that are currently available and many hundreds on portable Flash-Drives.

I leave two of the large USB drives plugged into the rear of my BDP-1 which are loaded with  thousands of selections available immediately.  Then I use the front two USB connections for my favorites given my specific mood.  I really do find I concentrate my listening to a few files per listening session anyway – but hey that’s me!

I did not conceive the BDP-1 to be all things to all people and I have no problem at all with people choosing other systems for other reasons. My main goal with the BDP-1 was to provide as good a sound quality as possible given current technology and at as high a resolution as possible (192/24). This is the first time in history where we as consumers can get a direct copy of the master tape and play it back in our own homes on our own systems!

james

« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 09:08 pm by James Tanner »

Sasha

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2010, 06:44 pm »

I am not even talking about using analog output on Squeezebox, that was an utter crap, I am talking about using digital output on Squeezebox into an internal DAC, and it produced considerable amount of jitter, easily heard when compared to other digital sources.
How much better Transporter is I cannot say, but I suspect that it does not offer stellar performance either, the general execution, PSU, clocking, is what brings jitter down to acceptable level.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:30 pm »
I am not even talking about using analog output on Squeezebox, that was an utter crap, I am talking about using digital output on Squeezebox into an internal DAC, and it produced considerable amount of jitter, easily heard when compared to other digital sources.
How much better Transporter is I cannot say, but I suspect that it does not offer stellar performance either, the general execution, PSU, clocking, is what brings jitter down to acceptable level.

While I haven't personally ever owned a Logitech product (I'm an Empirical Off-Ramp 3 kinda guy), I have several friends that own both Squezebox's, Touch, and the Transporters and you're 1 of the very few that I've ever heard speak up that didn't love their digital output to an external Dac. Different stroke I guess. I can say I've enjoyed every setup I've ever heard and that's been quite a few.  But while I will agree that there is better out there as in my Off-Ramp 3, I don't think it's a dire necessity to overlook the Squeezebox/Touch/Transporter, even if I would never own one myself.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

whanafi

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:35 pm »

I have no desire to get into an argument with you, but "utter crap" and "I suspect" add nothing to people's knowledge.  The fact is that a Touch and Transporter both provide excellent sound quality (documented, reviewed, and personal experience), and in the case of the Touch, at an incredible price point.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:35 pm »

mr_bill

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:37 pm »

You are definitely in the minority here and I don't want anyone to base decisions off this post.
I have a Touch and had a Transporter and they BOTH make outstanding transports are just a different option than the new outstanding Bryston BDP-1.

whanafi

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes I would agree that the BDP-1 is not for someone wanting the convenience of a NAS and all their thousands of albums and music stored in one location. Although going forward we are looking at a dedicated NAS that would connect to the BDP-1.

But it is also incorrect to think that the BDP-1 is causing the listener to constantly get up and down to plug in USB’s at every turn.  You can get thousands of songs and albums on the larger USB drives that are currently available and many hundreds on portable Flash-Drives.

I leave two of the large USB drives plugged into the rear of my BDP-1 which are loaded with  thousands of selections available immediately.  Then I use the front two USB connections for my favorites given my specific mood.  I really do find I concentrate my listening to a few files per listening session anyway – but hey that’s me!

I did not conceive the BDP-1 to be all things to all people and I have no problem at all with people choosing other systems for other reasons. My main goal with the BDP-1 was to provide as good a sound quality as possible given current technology. This is the first time in history where we as consumers can get a direct copy of the master tape and play it back in our own homes on our own systems!

james

Hi James,
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to suggest people avoid the BDP-1, just saying that having been at this a long time, I have an audio "ecosystem" that suits my way of working and listening. 

I imagine that as the rest of my gear is Bryston, I would have picked up the BDP-1 without hesitation if I was starting into digital music for the first time.  I agree that having access to source material without the impact of the medium it is carried on is truly liberating.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:45 pm »
Hi James,
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to suggest people avoid the BDP-1, just saying that having been at this a long time, I have an audio "ecosystem" that suits my way of working and listening. 

I imagine that as the rest of my gear is Bryston, I would have picked up the BDP-1 without hesitation if I was starting into digital music for the first time.  I agree that having access to source material without the impact of the medium it is carried on is truly liberating.

Understand totally :D

james

joeriz

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:49 pm »
I have no desire to get into an argument with you, but "utter crap" and "I suspect" add nothing to people's knowledge.  The fact is that a Touch and Transporter both provide excellent sound quality (documented, reviewed, and personal experience), and in the case of the Touch, at an incredible price point.

Seconded!   :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2010, 07:51 pm »
Hi James,

Neither am I, by the way.  :thumb:

Sasha

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:57 pm »

Ok, how about 800ps measured on digital output of Squeezebox? That was an independent measurement. This is easily heard. A mid-fi $300.00 CD player will have significantly lower jitter on its digital output. I spend a lot of time and money trying to get top performance out of PC based transport, I got close with 5K setup, but could not better top spinners. Things like Squeezebox are at the very bottom of such product lineup.
As far as reviews go, there are reviewers that will say that MAC notebook with its optical output is a top performer, which is a joke.

ricko01

« Reply #15 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:12 pm »
Hi Folks,

I did not conceive the BDP-1 to be all things to all people and I have no problem at all with people choosing other systems for other reasons. My main goal with the BDP-1 was to provide as good a sound quality as possible given current technology and at as high a resolution as possible (192/24). This is the first time in history where we as consumers can get a direct copy of the master tape and play it back in our own homes on our own systems!

james

If I got the BDP-1.... I would just plug the 1TB USB drive used by the Transporters PC based software into the back of the BDP-1.

I have all my files organised by Blues/Jazz/Rock main sub-directories... so the navigation would be the same.

I have burnt my CD's as WAVS files and have no album art etc so it would be a painless transition for me

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:23 pm »
Does streaming internet radio, Pandora, Last.FM etc matter to you?  I have a Transporter, BDA-1, and an MPD device that does pretty much the same as the BDP-1=, plus a little bit ;-) The TP and MPD device point to the same directory tree on my server, so when I add music I can play it from Squeezecenter immediately if I want.  The BDP-1 still needs to have files copied to its local drives because it doesn't see network storage.  I use 4 digital inputs on the BDA-1: MPD player, TP (for streams like Pandora), and CD transport.  The Bryston BR2 remote switches them back and forth easily.

Sasha

« Reply #17 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:33 pm »

You are definitely in the minority here and I don't want anyone to base decisions off this post.
I have a Touch and had a Transporter and they BOTH make outstanding transports are just a different option than the new outstanding Bryston BDP-1.
The OP has asked for comments, and I gave him my comments, based on my experience, and based on measurements.
Squeezebox is a PC gizmo type of product, nothing more.
Bryston does not have in its product line-up such junk, Logitec does.
And you don't want anyone to base decisions off this post? Really? You think of yourself as some kind of authority? Because you had Touch and Transporter it must be good?

ricko01

« Reply #18 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:34 pm »

james

From a "purity" perspective, the BDP-1  has it all over the Transporter.

The Transporter has all sorts of stuff that I never use (interet radio, digital inputs, analogue curcuits, word clock in etc)... so if you buy into the "less is more" .. the  BDP-1  should have a better change to get the sound right.

And given I have  a BP26 and BDP-1 already and digital music is my main source (I do spin vinyl as well but not as much)... then the BDP-1 will provide more of the Bryston "house" sound that we all love.

So... I just talked myself into the BDP-1... I will just need to buy some extra powerful glasses so I can see the display (and a  Bryston remote).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 11 Dec 2010, 09:35 pm »
Does streaming internet radio, Pandora, Last.FM etc matter to you?  I have a Transporter, BDA-1, and an MPD device that does pretty much the same as the BDP-1=, plus a little bit ;-) The TP and MPD device point to the same directory tree on my server, so when I add music I can play it from Squeezecenter immediately if I want.  The BDP-1 still needs to have files copied to its local drives because it doesn't see network storage.  I use 4 digital inputs on the BDA-1: MPD player, TP (for streams like Pandora), and CD transport.  The Bryston BR2 remote switches them back and forth easily.

Hi Tom

On the latest software I am playing around with using the BDP-1 as a NAS.  So you can download music files over the network from a remote computer to the ATTACHED USB drives on the BDP-1. 

james