HOLY SMOKES!! Pure Class A single ended 300b bliss.

roscoeiii

Re: HOLY SMOKES!! Pure Class A single ended 300b bliss.
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jan 2011, 04:04 pm »
Vulcan00,

What does the impedance of your speakers look like? If it is high enough, maybe an Atma-sphere OTL would be a possibility. Even if it is quite low, you can get a Zero Autoformer to alter the impedence load the amp sees.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #61 on: 18 Jan 2011, 08:21 pm »

Hey roscoeiii

It’s reported to be rather easy load to drive for a rated 87 db speaker at 4 ohms. I have seen a plot of the impedance, seems like it dips into the upper 3ohm only once, never below 3.  I have looked at the Zero's a bunch. I have wanted to try those if not for anything but to experiment. I’m using a 250 wpc SS amp with a tube hybrid pre. I never get this amp out of the class A range while listening; it’s an A/AB SS.

Although, I am intrigued by the claims of tube sound, I am coming to the conclusion maybe a good Class A SS amp might be the way to go for me?

roscoeiii

« Reply #62 on: 18 Jan 2011, 08:34 pm »
Well, impedance like that is an easier load for an SS amp to drive. Thing about OTL tube amps is that their output increases as the impendence of the speaker goes UP. Wild huh?

zygadr

« Reply #63 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:03 am »
I haven't heard an 845 either but many people who have heard both the 300b and the 845 laud the latter.  The 845 can also boast more power output.  It would be interesting to poll those people who prefer the 845 to hear the 300b again with the Black Treasures.  Based on what I've read, these tubes redefine the character of the 300b.  As stated previously, this amp with those tubes combined with the Pavanes are a game changer.  I kid you not that the Druids now sound like my old stats in terms of speed and definition.

I've had 300b amplifiers with various 300b brands. They all sounded similar, slow, warm, too syrupy and lacking in dynamics.
I now have a low voltage build of an 845 using Shuguang standard 845's.
Verdict?.............floors the 300b :o

I think what's happening now is that the realisation of the ''true sound'' of 300b's was inadequate, so they are trying to get a 211 or 845 sound out of them :roll:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #64 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:31 am »
I've had 300b amplifiers with various 300b brands. They all sounded similar, slow, warm, too syrupy and lacking in dynamics.

To exploit the 300b you need the right speakers, synergy is everything.  Home built NXT rubbish notwithstanding. :P

Apart from warm, I certainly wouldn't attribute any of those characteristics to my amp and tube combo.  I was a little nervous about going down the 300b road given my previous amp (Dayens Ampino) was preferred by Srajan Ebaen over a pair of 300b mono amps 200x more costly, however my 300b is clearly a big step up from the Ampino.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #65 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:54 am »

zygadr:

Can you tell us more about your 845 amp? Like make-model, power, cost, sound?

Thanks.

Rocket_Ronny

morganc

« Reply #66 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:35 am »
I ended up buying the Shuguang 300 from Grant Fidelity and I'm loving it.  It is fast, dynamic, airy on the top end and the bass is not too bad at all.  It is definitely on the warm side, but the black treasure 300's are treating me well. 

zygadr

« Reply #67 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:44 am »
zygadr:

Can you tell us more about your 845 amp? Like make-model, power, cost, sound?

Thanks.

Rocket_Ronny

The amplifier is described on another thread in the Tube-o phile Circle called ''Simple 6SL7/845SE direct coupled amplifier''.

This is a prototype low power design of my own.

Wind Chaser.................I use 15 inch three way horns with Martin Seddon's 24 inch round Le Cleach mid horns and giant 2 inch Selenium compression drivers. Damn good speakers(enough to tell me the difference between a shitty 300b and an 845).

The ''home built NXT rubbish'' you refer to are excellent working speakers(in a solid state amp system) that took a lot of guts,time and determination to succeed in making the concept work. Something you obviously don't appreciate?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #68 on: 11 Feb 2011, 05:04 am »
Rubbish man, absolute rubbish! :P

zygadr

« Reply #69 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:33 am »
Rubbish man, absolute rubbish! :P

You certainly are full of ''rubbish''.........................over 69,500 views on the NXT thread.
Those without ''rubbish'' for brains, succeeded in building many great sounding NXT panels.

What do you have to offer this forum besides 'rubbishing'' other people's success??

Wind Chaser

« Reply #70 on: 11 Feb 2011, 08:52 am »
I was hoping you'd see the :P emoticon and rightly understand my intentions. :duh:

Oh well fwiw, I did play with some NXT exciters a while back and they are what they are, but that's all they are. 

Sam-fi

« Reply #71 on: 11 Feb 2011, 09:59 pm »
Reading these descriptions really makes me want to try some 300b tubes. Right now I am in love with the euphoric midrange of the EL34 in my Rogue Chronus.

Sam

PS. I'd really like a knowledgeable fellow to pm me. I have some questions about tubes and tube types.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #72 on: 11 Feb 2011, 10:42 pm »
Sam,

You're best off asking those questions in an open forum and in a new thread, that way more people are likely to see it and you'll get a better answer from a broader perspective.

Sam-fi

« Reply #73 on: 12 Feb 2011, 02:55 pm »
Thanks wind chaser

I just picked up a Grant Fidelity A-534B SET integrated amp. I put my money where my mouth is and now I can learn firsthand what it is all about.

Thanks,
Sam
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2011, 02:38 am by Sam-fi »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #74 on: 13 Feb 2011, 02:58 am »
Good choice, Sam.  That's what I have too, but you got an extremely good deal!