HOLY SMOKES!! Pure Class A single ended 300b bliss.

Wayne1

Aftermarket Fuses
« Reply #40 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:23 pm »
Parts Connexion is in Canada and they sell the Furutech, Hi-Fi Tuning and PS Audio fuses.

In Oregon, is Acme Audio whose product is less expensive. I do use his fuses myself. He ships USPS, so there shouldn't be too much trouble with extra brokerage fees.

Like different brands of tubes, you will have to try them in your amp to see which one sounds the best with your gear.

There may also be a difference in sound depending on which direction they are placed in your amp.

Wind Chaser

Re: HOLY SMOKES!! Pure Class A single ended 300b bliss.
« Reply #41 on: 21 Dec 2010, 12:43 am »
Thanks Wayne. :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #42 on: 21 Dec 2010, 02:49 am »
Okay this is weird, looks like I popped another fuse.  Something must be wrong somewhere because I've never had a problem like this ever before.

Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

« Reply #43 on: 21 Dec 2010, 03:12 am »
Okay this is weird, looks like I popped another fuse.  Something must be wrong somewhere because I've never had a problem like this ever before.

It is very likely the rectifier tube is causing the problem. In a tube amp with tube rectification, the rectifier tube is the weakest point in the chain if there is a power spike going through the amp. It's always recommended to have spare rectifier tube on hand, of course spare fuses as well. A rectifier tube can only take certain amount of power shock then it will go. This problem often happens at power on since the voltage could shoot above normal in a split of second.

It's always recommended to have a designed for audio power conditioner to protect your tube amp from power spikes.

Do you have anywhere to check out your rectifier tube is still good or not? You can contact us by email or by phone to do the trouble shooting. Do not change your fuse to expensive ones yet until you find out what caused the issue :) We are just a phone call or click away.

Rachel

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 21 Dec 2010, 03:58 am »
Thanks Rachel, I'll try giving you a call between 9 and 10 tomorrow morning, otherwise late in the afternoon.  I don't think there is anyone in the valley that can test tubes.  I remember the good old days when you could walk into London Drugs and test your own tubes. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #45 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:36 am »
After speaking with Rachel it seems the problem is most likely surge related.  Grant Fidelity didn't have any more power conditioners in stock, so not being patient I bought something else locally...

http://www.twochannelaudio.com/Monster3600acconditioner.html

It was on sale for half price and if it doesn't work out, it can be returned.  Hopefully this solves the problem and improves the overall sound.

irish 51

« Reply #46 on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:39 pm »
This looks a lot like the Yaquin MC-300B that is on Ebay for $1,069.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #47 on: 22 Dec 2010, 11:53 pm »
It does indeed.  But who stands behind Yaquin when things go south?  In addition to that... the Grant Fidelity version is different not just on the outside... but the inside too with better parts.

morganc

« Reply #48 on: 13 Jan 2011, 05:43 am »
When I called Grant Fidelity to inquire about the differences in sound between their two 300b amps, Rachel gave me detailed answer without showing partiality to one over the other.  So most certainly there would be a difference in the sound from amp to amp, but the coolest thing about tube amps is you can always change the sound by rolling tubes.

Do you happen to remember the details of the difference between the two 300b amps that they have at Grant Fidelity?   I am contemplating this integrated after hearing of Gopher's happiness with his Shuguang:
http://grantfidelity.com/site/shuguang_treasure_classic_S300MK

Any thoughts on this amp?  Does anyone have it?

Cheers,
Morgan

santacore

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2011, 03:44 pm »
I have owned this Grant Fidelity amp for over a year now, and have been very pleased with it. Since it's purchase, I have bought a few other pieces from GF, and have been very pleased with their service too. This amp with the upgraded tubes punches well out of it's class and has impressed all that have heard it. I must say it sounds pretty darn good with the GF V-218 horn speakers I bought from them also. Fun stuff and good service!!

One side note-I too had some problems with my A-534B. I was getting random and infrequent static/hum bursts. I swapped tubes, cords, and anything else I could think of without luck. In the end I opened it up and found a small electrolytic cap that was bursting. I found a replacement easily and the amp is back to running normal.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:02 pm »
Do you happen to remember the details of the difference between the two 300b amps that they have at Grant Fidelity?

No, I don't.  Give Rachel a call, she's pretty articulate.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:04 pm »
I have owned this Grant Fidelity amp for over a year now, and have been very pleased with it.

Which tube package did you go with?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #52 on: 13 Jan 2011, 08:29 pm »
I think I remember Santacore once has owned manley snappers? If my failing memory is correct would you be kind enough to offer youfr opinion whether the Snapper woulf benefit from these new tubes?   PLease describe the  difference between your new 300b amp vs the snappers?

Snappers have EH 12AT7,  GE7044 0r 5687 and a 4  EL 34. Are any of the stock Snapper tubes available in these premium new tubes?

Harrison

morganc

« Reply #53 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:05 am »
No, I don't.  Give Rachel a call, she's pretty articulate.

Thanks....Ian was kind enough to send me an email and he says the mids are richer with the Shuguang where-as the top end of the A 534-B may be a bit better....I think after hearing Gophers enthusiasm over the Shuguang 845, I will give the Shuguang 300 a try.  Ian also says the Shuguang uses point to point wiring where-as the A534-B uses more circuitry. 

santacore

« Reply #54 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:24 am »
Which tube package did you go with?

I got the black bottle 300B's and EL34's, with the TJ full music 12AX7's, and stock Shuguang rectifier. Both the black bottles and the TJ's are excellent.

Good memory Harrison, I did own Manley Mahi's. Those were great amps, but different. Those were a little lighter and quicker sounding, with great dynamics, and a tight, but lean, bottom end. The 300b amp has a bit more bass, lusher mids, and is a bit more musical. Really, both are great amps in their own way.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #55 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:25 am »
That's a pretty decent deal for the Shuguang 300b considering the tubes it comes with.  Those were a $1000 over and above the cost of the A-534B.  One thing I do recall Rachel saying was that the A-534B uses better parts and iron, hence the price differential.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #56 on: 14 Jan 2011, 12:30 am »
I got the black bottle 300B's and EL34's, with the TJ full music 12AX7's, and stock Shuguang rectifier. Both the black bottles and the TJ's are excellent.

Same here except for the 12AX7, I've running a pair of the Pavane Reference Series.

santacore

« Reply #57 on: 14 Jan 2011, 03:09 am »
I tried some vintage Tele's and others, but in the end preferred the TJ's. I'll keep an eye out for the Pavane.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #58 on: 14 Jan 2011, 06:10 pm »
santacore:

Thanks for your impressions.

Presently I can enjoy tube sound in my current system by selecting my tube pre-amp or my tube DAC. Even tried a excellent tube buffer once. But when I hear about these set, otl, 300b, tube amps having the great mid-range, sweet highs, air and now controlled stronger bass, it just  too tempting.

My problem is my speakers.  I am just under the impression I need  more power than one of tube amp can provide. If I could find one of these that amps that will drive my 87db effiecent speakers to reasonable listening levels would that be the best way to go????

I have a feeling that if you want to have a system to enjoy these type of tube amps its best to start with an easier, high db speaker??

Docere

« Reply #59 on: 16 Jan 2011, 08:27 am »
I am not surprised that the Grant amp performs at least decently (and likely 'better' than merely decent). The lowish impedance / highish current 300B driver should help deliver solid macro dynamics and if the coupling and power supply are decent, nice overload behaviour. Should sound well-balanced, generally musical, and relatively /effortless within its power response, which with the Zu's should be, unless you are trying for premature deafness. Sonically, I bet it gets the fundamentals sorted and possibly adds something a little special. It seems relatively common that SE amps, often being an extreme expression of their designer, seem to attempt to move straight to the special without getting the musical basics sorted, thus generating love/hate responses... Though there are exceptions.

It was mentioned that earlier in the thread that 300Bs are not known to be fast. Hmmm, depends by whom. I have heard 300B-based amps described as both fat and thin; slow and fast; warm and glassy; dynamic and soft... Please remember that myriad factors determine and amp's performance; tube types are but one such factor. 300Bs can indeed sound fast - very - if driven well (driver and coupling) and use relatively lowish bias current with highish loads, quality transformers (parafeed, C-cores) and low impedance power supplies (choke input is generally, but not always, preferred). SRPP drivers may also 'help'. Such an amp may sound too fast for many folks. Also, some varieties of 300B sound more dynamic and fast than others.

Cheers
Raymond
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 10:57 am by Docere »