HOLY SMOKES!! Pure Class A single ended 300b bliss.

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: HOLY SMOKES!! Pure Class A single ended 300b bliss.
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2010, 04:42 am »
WC.......I have had a GF A-88 for a couple of yrs now.......nice equipment. sounds great.
The Chineese are producing some great gear.
Grant stands by his sales.....another reason to deal with them.
I am saving pennies for the blacks.......they are suppose to be outstanding.
Can hardly wait..........

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 10 Dec 2010, 04:45 am »
Personally, I could not justify spending more than $20 on an amp!

Post edited for K. :duh:  (K as in thousand.)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 10 Dec 2010, 04:48 am »
Perry,

Your Venues could get by with a 300b.  Maybe next time I head out to Edmonton I'll take it along.

John

Gopher

« Reply #23 on: 10 Dec 2010, 05:26 am »
I'm thinking of your praise of the black treasure tubes and I'm wondering how much those Treasure 300Bs are impacting your listening.

My amps are using treasure cv-181s and 300b as input/driver to a pair of 845Bs.  The problem--prior to this amp I've only heard 300Bs in action once or twice and never 845s.  :dunno: 

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2010, 06:11 am »
John.....room is done.....just treatments left.....

If you bring gear.......... :o :D

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2010, 07:12 am »
I'm thinking of your praise of the black treasure tubes and I'm wondering how much those Treasure 300Bs are impacting your listening.

My amps are using treasure cv-181s and 300b as input/driver to a pair of 845Bs.  The problem--prior to this amp I've only heard 300Bs in action once or twice and never 845s.  :dunno:

Just to look at this subject from different perspective....  I had few 300B amps and tube choice had nothing to do with the way those amps performed.

But I have to say, those Black Treasure tubes look tasty....... Too bad I need quad.

And last but not least, Zu and 300B monos sound fantastic indeed.  :wink:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2010, 08:49 am »

I haven't heard an 845 either but many people who have heard both the 300b and the 845 laud the latter.  The 845 can also boast more power output.  It would be interesting to poll those people who prefer the 845 to hear the 300b again with the Black Treasures.  Based on what I've read, these tubes redefine the character of the 300b.  As stated previously, this amp with those tubes combined with the Pavanes are a game changer.  I kid you not that the Druids now sound like my old stats in terms of speed and definition.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2010, 08:52 am »
Perry,

It won't be until May or end of June to early July or before I take more vacation, but I'd love to hear those Venues. :drool:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2010, 08:58 am »
Just to look at this subject from different perspective....  I had few 300B amps and tube choice had nothing to do with the way those amps performed.

But I have to say, those Black Treasure tubes look tasty....... Too bad I need quad.

And last but not least, Zu and 300B monos sound fantastic indeed.  :wink:

When I called Grant Fidelity to inquire about the differences in sound between their two 300b amps, Rachel gave me detailed answer without showing partiality to one over the other.  So most certainly there would be a difference in the sound from amp to amp, but the coolest thing about tube amps is you can always change the sound by rolling tubes.

Mariusz

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2010, 09:44 am »
Rolling tubes is certainly where the fun is when it comes to tube gear.
4 X 300B tubes for my amp .... not so much.  :nono:
Often times tho, swapping signal tube can make the difference far greater then replacing power tubes.
Nevertheless, if you can afford it, by all means go for it.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:04 pm »
You could always ask if they have demo's they loan out, chances are they do with those are willing to assume liability.

Audioclyde

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:32 am »
I've been using the GF A-534B amp for over a year now. My first SET, so don't have lots of comparisons, but I love the sound. I've rolled quite a few tubes in the pre section, currency using the Pvanes. 

I really like the Black Treasures, but for maybe a bit more linear sound with tighter frequency extremes, I also like the Synergy/Create 300B tubes. 

I driving 95-96 db Daedalus DA-RMa's with no problem.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

Randy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:28 pm »
I'm so bummed.  Went to power it up today - and nothing.  Can't see a user replaceable fuse.  Super bummed.  I've booked some much needed time off work for the holidays to relax and listen and then this has to happen.  So I'm amp-less... and it's not like another amp can just step in and resume duty.  The A-534B introduced me with such a high level of performance I can't go back to a lesser sound.  What lousy timing. 

If there's one good a glad consolation, I'm glad I didn't import this thing from overseas or obtain it through some other dubious source at a bargain price without warranty or someone to fall back on...  Hopefully it's something simple that can be rectified at my end.  I don't want to ship it out for repairs or replacement, besides Grant Fidelity is currently out of stock on these amps here in Canada.

Gopher

« Reply #33 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:30 pm »
Did you check the IEC jack for a small fuse compartment?  Chance are you did, but I did't even know to look there for fuses until recently.

Hope you resolve it soon, I know I was really bummed when my Atma-sphere crapped on me a couple months ago--kinda prejudiced me against the amp itself--I was angry   :cuss:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:54 pm »
Did you check the IEC jack for a small fuse compartment?  Chance are you did, but I did't even know to look there for fuses until recently.

Rock 'n' Roll!  No I didn't.  Man they did a good job concealing it.  Lo and behold a spare fuse too!  The tubes are glowing and I'm all smiles again. :D

Thank you Gopher, you're the man! :thumb:

sebrof

« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2010, 02:27 pm »
Rock 'n' Roll!  No I didn't.  Man they did a good job concealing it.  Lo and behold a spare fuse too!  The tubes are glowing and I'm all smiles again. :D

Just make sure the spare fuse is the same rating. Sometimes the spare is for 220v (or 120v if you're on 220v).

Audioclyde

« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:10 pm »
Mine blew a fuse when I tried a different rectifier (Chinese 274B). I found replacement fuses online and stocked up on some spares but haven't blew another in over a year.

I'm out of town & don't have the site where I got the fuses handy, but I just googles for the values listed in the manual. Glad you r back up and jamming!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2010, 03:22 pm »
Now I'm thinking audiophile fuses... but where to source in Canada?  Are there different competing products and is one better than the other? 

Audioclyde

« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2010, 04:13 pm »
I haven't tried any audiophile fuse yet; pls post if you locate some.

Thanks.

Also if you haven't already seen it there is a thread about mods to this amp on the old Grant Fidelity forums.

Gopher

« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:03 pm »

:rock:  Glad you are back in business!