GK-1 -- Stunning

blizzard

GK-1 -- Stunning
« on: 28 Jan 2003, 03:50 pm »
Hello All,
  I don’t post that often.  But, in this circumstance, I just couldn’t resist.
  I just finished constructing GK-1 stage 1, and all I can say is unbefreakinlievable!  In my opinion, my system had recently become very good.  I had been battling with sibilance since the days before time, and had finally gotten some kind of handle on it.  It’s hard to quantify this, but I feel the GK-1 has removed about ½ to ¾ of the remaining harshness.  And on top of that, the imaging, smoothness and all those other audiophile categories drastically improved.  I have to also give a special mention to the low end.  Hugh has given the bass a special tubey growl that just has to be heard.  It’s not the soft and mushy bass typically associated with glass valves.  But, it definitely has stolen the desirable characteristics of tubes—very warm, but with authority.
  It’s really hard to accurately describe the different sounds of audio equipment.  So, I won’t go into any more description as to what I’m hearing.  People have different opinions of what sounds like what.  And, they have different desires as far as sound goes.  Having said that, I can’t imagine someone not liking the GK-1.  It is truly a mesmerizingly hypnotic work of art.
  I cannot believe that I own such an amazing preamp.  I don’t own all of Hugh’s offerings (I have an AKSA 55 Nirvana and a TLP Nirvana), but I would bet this is by far his best product.  There is no break in period needed to hear what an amazing piece of equipment this is.  She sounded great right out of the gate.  
  Hugh, my sincerest congratulations on one fine offering.
               Steve

U4EA

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2003, 05:05 am »
Yep...I wowed a few of them at my local Stereo shop with a GK-1 :lol:

blizzard

Pictures
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2003, 11:30 am »
Hi,
  For those interested, I have added 2 pictures of my GK-1 -- stage 1 to page 6 of the gallery.
       Steve

fred

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2003, 02:56 pm »
:D I am glad to hear the positive comments regarding bass.  This was the only MINOR deficiency I felt was present in the prototype GK-1 that made the road trip, so it seems Hugh has obliterated this issue.  I can hardly wait to get going on mine (awaiting Stage 3).

U4EA

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2003, 05:30 pm »
Fred,
It is interesting how ears or maybe amps differ.  When I had the beta GK1 most listeners including myself were amazed at the bass compared to other $2000 plus preamps.  There seemed to be plenty.  I was using B&W 804's.  Of course with another speaker pair and a sub there was also plenty of bass.

If Hugh made it even better....WOW!

Hugh, are you a bass freak? :D   Do you drive around in a car with 7 sub woofers and the bumper rattling? :lol:

AKSA

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2003, 08:26 pm »
Hah!  Am I a bass freak?

Behold the mechanic's car!!

I have a lousy radio in my cars;  nothing special at all.  I'm not especially a bass freak, not at all.  I have an isobaric 130 litre 2 x 10" sub in my hifi room, which is NOT connected.  I find my MW142 Morel MTMs with X25G Vifa tweeter give me all the bass I like;  too much is a PITA.

I like tuneful bass;  there's too much one-note bass around.  It has to be strong, but not overpowering, but it has to be musical, with all the musical complexity teased out.

In 'Hotel California' from the Eagles there is a strong drum beat at the opening, goes on for six or seven bars.  After the fourth bar, there is the extra sound of an upturned note accompanying the fundamental;  two drums, one quite a bit smaller.  In a good system you can clearly hear this second drum, and it is quite satisfying if you can get this right.  Real Rock 'n Roll.

Cheers,

Hugh

U4EA

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2003, 02:54 am »
Hugh,
Isn't this your cars sub setup? When you removed it for tuning? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Pleb Plebian

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2003, 04:18 am »
Hi all;
Hugh might not be a Bass Freak - but I am!
This is one of the things we worked quite a while on to get 'right' in the GK when voicing - well, what I mean is "I describe in Layman's terms what I wanted to hear, Hugh slaves away over a hot pencil sussing out how to make something sound like that, then tells me *exactly* what bits to solder (read: kludge) into the circuit and where...."

And yes:this sure is one heck of a pre! When we started "playing" with the circuit, Bass and image were the weaker points: I honestly think they are now some of the strongest.

All deference to Hugh: I think anyone else would have said "good enough" well before the end - and the extra time he spent resulted in a clearly superior, not *merely* very-good product.

Glad you like yours Steve - they'll only ever pry mine from my cold, dead hands!!
Cheers,
-Darl (Pleb)

Larry

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2003, 04:19 am »
Quote from: AKSA

In 'Hotel California' from the Eagles there is a strong drum beat at the opening, goes on for six or seven bars.  After the fourth bar, there is the extra sound of an upturned note accompanying the fundamental;  two drums, one quite a bit smaller.  In a good system you can clearly hear this second drum, and it is quite satisfying if you can get this right.  Real Rock 'n Roll.

This is interesting. That opening has been my most used test for a long time. If it could be worn out, there had been no sound on it at all. Someone once said that Eagles would feel sad to know that a lot people just stop playing after the opening and before the vocal. Sometimes I try to keep playing after the opening to show respect  :P

To understand what you say, I capture an image from DVD version. Is the left drum what you mean? I may not get what you mean.

tg3

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2003, 05:52 am »

In 'Hotel California' from the Eagles there is a strong drum beat at the opening, goes on for six or seven bars.  After the fourth bar, there is the extra sound of an upturned note accompanying the fundamental;  two drums, one quite a bit smaller.  In a good system you can clearly hear this second drum, and it is quite satisfying if you can get this right.

I've got 'Hotel Californa' on a greatest hits CD, and am not sure I have what you're describing. At the beginning of the song, before the vocals, there is mostly acoustic guitar and bit of bass guitar. There is only a two note drum bit right before the vocals.

Am I missing something really obvious, or is this only on the 'Hotel California' CD (and not a greatest hits CD)?   :(

Larry

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2003, 06:31 am »
Quote from: tg3

In 'Hotel California' from the Eagles there is a strong drum beat at the opening, goes on for six or seven bars.  After the fourth bar, there is the extra sound of an upturned note accompanying the fundamental;  two drums, one quite a bit smaller.  In a good system you can clearly hear this second drum, and it is quite satisfying if you can get this right.

I've got 'Hotel Californa' on a greatest hits CD, and am not sure I have what you're describing. At the beginning of the song, before the vocals, there is mostly acoustic guitar and bit of bass guitar. There is only a two note drum bit right before the vocals.

Am I missing something really obvious, or is this only on the 'Hotel California' CD (and not a greatest hits CD)?   :(

There are many versions of 'Hotel Californa'. The most famous one in audio circle is the live version on the album "Eagles Hell Freezes Over". I have assumed that Hugh refered to this version.  It is much better, sonically and musically, than studio versions on some hits compilation albums. The DVD image I post was from the same session of the CD track. The sound tracks on DVD and CD may have some bit-wise differences due to seperate mastering sessions and different coding schemes. But this would not affect the audible major components in the music.

Malcolm Fear

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2003, 07:04 am »
Hotel California.
The song Hotel California is on the Album "Hotel California", on some best ofs and a live version on Eagles Live.
They disbanded for many years, then reformed, putting out "Hell Freezes Over". There is an acoustic version of the song on this album. I think it is this one that people refer to when they talk of the incredible drum.

tg3

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2003, 07:07 am »
Quote from: Larry

There are many versions of 'Hotel Californa'. The most famous one in audio circle is the live version on the album "Eagles Hell Freezes Over". I have assumed that Hugh refered to this version.

Thanks, Larry. I'll try to find it!

Larry

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2003, 07:50 am »

Hi, Hugh,

Your one post led me to listening to the same track again and again this afternoon and try to figure out what you mean and see if my system is as good as yours. :wink:  

I cannot hear what you described. After the fourth bar of drum (around 0'48"), I could not hear the extra drum joining. (Track 6 on Eagles Hell Freezes Over)

Which album are you listening to?

AKSA

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2003, 10:20 am »
Hi Larry,

Hell Freezes Over, CD 20642 47252, Track 6, third bar after the acoustic introduction, drums only, there is a second drum audible at the close of each musical phrase.

I can hear it quite clearly on my system;  Morel/Vifa XT25 tweeter, AKSA Nirvana 100W, GK-1 Stage 1, CDP770 Sony player (pretty old now, laser tracking falling over a lot).

The last drum beat of each bar after the third bar contains this second drum sound.  It's a rising tone, too, very reminiscent of tonal languages.  When you hear it, it's quite a revelation.

Yes, it is the Hell Freezes Over CD, and it's fantastic sound quality, I can't believe how good it is.  You hear Henley's voice like never before.  He sounds like some one has fitted his left hand with a nasty thumscrew and ever so often they turn it up........  The anguish is palpable!   :cry:

Cheers,

Hugh

Oz_Audio

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2003, 01:15 pm »
8) Got it, veeeery subtle, something you would miss if it was not pointed out.

God i like good recordings, and mine is the DVD in PCM stero track 5.

As to the sound of the GK1, many years ago I listened to an Acoustic Research LS-7 valve pre and when I fired my beta up, it immediately reminded me of that listening session 7 years ago.  As I never had the redies to buy the LS-7 (probably the best pre I have heard and none here in Darwin), I would love to see if someone could put the 2 side by side for a comparison.

blizzard

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2003, 01:39 pm »
Hi Darl,
  I would have to agree with you.

Steve

Johnny

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jan 2003, 06:26 pm »
Hah!  Am I a bass freak?

I like tuneful bass;  there's too much one-note bass around.  It has to be strong, but not overpowering, but it has to be musical, with all the musical complexity teased out.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi all,
For tuneful bass, check out Marcus Miller's Live and More. 'Course what really gets your attention are the overtones, but there are some awsome fundementals too...
Cheers,
Jy

Larry

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2003, 11:51 pm »
Quote from: Oz_Audio
8) Got it, veeeery subtle, something you would miss if it was not pointed out.

God i like good recordings, and mine is the DVD in PCM stero track 5.

Hey, Oz_Audio, we have the same DVD.

Is it the left drum in the image I posted above from DVD what Hugh and you talking about? I don't see any other drums on the stage and I don't hear any other drums apart from these two.

Rocket

GK-1 -- Stunning
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jan 2003, 12:23 am »
hello,

there are some good bass tracks on patricia barber's latest cd "verve".

regards

rod