Why we buy what we buy….

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Why we buy what we buy….
« on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:49 am »
Could it possibly be that the audio equipment we purchase actually takes the proverbial “back seat” to the music that we all deeply enjoy? I have often pondered this very question and I find that the line can be extremely fine between need and dare I say vanity when it comes to our purchase philosophies. I will be the first to raise my hand and say that vanity also influenced my audio purchase philosophy. Do our audio systems get so deeply embedded into our collective psyches that we can no longer see the forest for the trees? Could it be that our audio systems personify or even define us as an individual?

Is it an insult to us when other individuals do not hold the same reverence for our selection of audio equipment? I enjoy the Bryston Circle and I sincerely hope that all audio enthusiasts will always be most welcome here; regardless of what type of equipment they have sitting on their racks. Variety is the spice of life.     

When I first started searching for a high performance 2 channel system, I simply wanted a new system. Very shortly after my purchase, I quickly realized that I needed my system. I close my eyes, briefly escape my corporeal restraints and journey to the places that were otherwise elusive to me.

Let us never lose the significance of our music. 

Be well… 

Wind Chaser

Re: Why we buy what we buy….
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:06 am »
It isn't long before the average person who ventures into this circle gets the sense that it is a CLOSED community.  Nevertheless... is this question strictly directed to the Bryston community? 

Napalm

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:03 am »
Is it an insult to us when other individuals do not hold the same reverence for our selection of audio equipment?

Depends on what you understand by "reverence". I would be more precise and say "polite", which is a Good Thing (TM) no matter what the subject of the conversation is.

I would have no objections to someone posting a decent "I've listened to both Bryston and BrandX and I prefer BrandX as in my system it does this and that".

However I would not be impressed by "conversations" like "B* is crap and you guys suck" posted here.

nap.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:08 am »
Many audiophiles lose the significance of the music.  I know many who don't even have that much software and keep a constant flow of equipment in and out listening to the same stuff over and over.  I appreciate the equipment but also the significance of the music.  I don't nearly sell as often as I used to (alright I do admit to have secondary systems to rotate stuff to) and can certainly live with what I have now.  I don't audition things in audio stores often as most times I am really disappointed by what I hear vs. what I have.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:13 am »
Other than I commend your always hospitable & respectful demeanor Laundrew,,, No comment.

Cheers,
Robin

Waker

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:46 am »
Another fine topic, Laundrew.  How attached are we to the brands in our systems......After all the years of acquiring and letting go of a variety gear, are we finally at a point of contentment?  And is it one's considerable investment or actual sytem performance that seems to drive a level of devotion?  For me, I would have to say both--I have made my decisions, have spent my money, and I support my choices, not out of vanity, but out of satisfaction. 

You also make the more fundamental point of why we do this at all--it's the music that drives us to such outward extremes.  We need these systems because we have to make that inward spiritual journey, and for us, it's music that takes us to another plane of consciousness, deep into a meditation.  I regard my system and my listening space as something like entering a church.  I enter the room and there it is....there is a feeling of anticipation, a moment of even feeling blessed.  Then there is the ritual of preparing to listen--approaching the system, activating each piece in turn, contemplating and applying the musical selection.  Then, retreating to what is at first merely a physical place, a point from which we depart.......           

jaxwired

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2010, 04:00 am »
  I don't audition things in audio stores often as most times I am really disappointed by what I hear vs. what I have.

Right on brother.  All I have to do to truly appreciate my system is visit a high end audio retailer and ask for a demo.  I seem to always come away underwhelmed and even more appreciative of how good my system is.

Laundrew, great topic by the way.  I'm in the "respect the music" camp.  I consider my music nutrition for the soul.  No joke.  I'm a healthier and happier person because of this hobby.   Not to mention how music almost completely replaced TV watching for me which is a soul sucking activity for the most part.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:15 am »
Are we really any different than any other type of collectors?

Take car guys......we are much the same.

Theres the ford camp.....chevy camp etc....they appreciate autos....
they make them shiny....and they make them perform.

Are we any different?......not many people judge them....they are accepted....
They are just more mainstream......we are just a bit more ....umm....out there....thats all.

I dont think the music takes a back seat......I just think they way we present it takes a front.
Much like car guys......we just make it shine.....like them....but it really...in the end...comes
down to performance.

We just put the pedal to the metal a little differently.

A show car is just that.....but it is still a piece of art ......that is really cool, and if done
properly.....shows you can have looks and 1k horsepower....in a single package.

Just like our stuff.....

nikon

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2010, 06:10 am »
I came upon a phrase several years ago

machine beauty

'machine beauty is the driving force behind technology and science'

For me, the basic design elements, the materials, finishes, performance and synergy of Bryston components are second to none, regardless of price, and represent 'machine beauty'

This masterpiece also represents 'machine beauty' in the automotive sense ...

Impression, designed and built by Chip Foose

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:43 am »
Well Laundrew, that's what a good system does, it takes you away from this crazy world we live in. Of course enjoying the music is key. But, the sound is very important too.

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:45 pm »
In theory as an audiophile our choices are never ending, but it begins with the realization that there is equipment out there that to our ears reproduces the recorded signal better than what we previously had. And hopefully, if we can obtain it, music will sound its best.
Consciously or unconsciously we narrow down our selection for our own sanity but the choices consist of sound, esthetics, pride of ownership and overall continual enjoyment.
For those of us who got into this hobby prior to the WEB our decisions were easier and less convoluted but I’ve now seen it stretch into neuroses and the equipment rarely settles into the back round. Things have changed, ownership of equipment of any kind has taken on different dimensions, internet forums and access to information has become a daily ritual for many, so we seldom just settle into what we have but weigh the pros and cons of its worth constantly.
I chose Bryston many years ago because it fulfilled what I wanted in equipment, robust construction, it appealed to my esthetics and most of all it performed better than what was currently available without all the bells and whistles, and I’ve stuck to Bryston because their philosophy hasn’t changed but their offerings continually gets better.
Sure we get excited about new equipment or new anything but the reproduction of “music” in the home is much greater than the sum of its parts, so for me there has to be a point were I forget about the equipment once the criteria has been reached to the best of my knowledge and sensibilities in getting the best out of the music, in the end it has to comes down to just me and the performance, as Laundrew said: “I close my eyes, briefly escape my corporeal restraints and journey to the places that were otherwise elusive to me.”

Robert
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2010, 01:46 pm by rob80b »

Robert D

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:40 pm »
Laundrew 
Since I can remember as a young child Music was always playing in the background. I Have been living on my own Since I have been 17 years old . My Parents moved away to Toronto. I wanted to stay in Montreal and make my life….
At 17 years of age I put Money aside to Purchase my 1st Stereo .It all Started back When.
As years went …I up graded and Up Graded…
At 35 I knew what I wanted. My goals feel into place with lots of Desire to work hard and Play hard. The Bryston Gear has been at Sons Ideal for years. And that Oracle TT that I have always wanted since I was 25 years old.
At this point in my Life I will not settle for 2Nd Best …

Robert

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2010, 10:05 pm »
It isn't long before the average person who ventures into this circle gets the sense that it is a CLOSED community.  Nevertheless... is this question strictly directed to the Bryston community?

Greetings Wind Chaser,

An open question for all. I look forward to and certainly welcome any individual's comments or opinions; regardless of what type of equipment they enjoy having on their audio rack.

Be well...

Robert D

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:50 am »
Many audiophiles lose the significance of the music.  I know many who don't even have that much software and keep a constant flow of equipment in and out listening to the same stuff over and over.  I appreciate the equipment but also the significance of the music.  I don't nearly sell as often as I used to (alright I do admit to have secondary systems to rotate stuff to) and can certainly live with what I have now.  I don't audition things in audio stores often as most times I am really disappointed by what I hear vs. what I have.
Phil I could not agree more
A friend of mine is a Service manager at a local electronic Store... Not far from where I live.
Whenever I walk  in to visit him ... his boss always comes over to me says Robert look what we just received from Yamaha...
You wanna listen ....
My buddy has herd my set up numerous times he is one who can appreciate Quality .

His Boss has herd his remarks over and over ....  Lol   

Robert

Ozi

• If it don't weigh enough, it can't play enough
« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2010, 02:29 pm »
Laundrew,

I find your initial post in this thread very interesting. It is very interesting to me when people have deeper thoughts about the sound and equipment they own, ofcourse, especially if equipment deserve that. English is not even my second language, but I hope I can explain myself well.

All that is electronics, but there is equipment which really can touch listener pretty deep, so the listener start to gain much of respect to some products. It is really fantastic when one find his/her sound of their life and start to experiement and discover what else can come out from that great system. It's really fantastic when you come home from work and your system surprise you with performance with your familiar music. For me, the most important factor is that I need to feel what musician want to tell exactly and all that should be followed with reasonable dynamic and balance. That's the basis. I agree that everything what we like is derivation of our taste, character type and even frustration in a positive manner. The point is if/when one can admit that to himself.

Believe it or not, I've been heard at home dem practically every big name and while I like some parts of presentation of different electronics, not a single one completely satisfied me that I will pay for it that much. With all that experience I started to make a projection of the sound in my head which would be ideal for me. That kind of idealistic approach can be a double edge sword as you start to immediately penalise equipment which goes out of your imagined boundaries. Good point is that you are immediately aware, hey, you know exactly what you want  :D.

I spent three years in searching for electronics which would sonicaly extrapolate the perfect example of sound presentation which I had in my mind and I found it, its' Bryston  :D.
It's not perfect, nor it should be, who anyway likes perfect things, but Bryston is for sure if not the very best, but certainly belong to top class gear and if you allow, what is intimately most important to me, Bryston is extrapolation of my taste, character and maybe some secret frustrations...all that without even knowing me... :D, isn't that wonderful ?!

I am not biased, not at all, please forgive if my freedom of thought is unusual for you..

Oz

Stu Pitt

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:16 pm »
A great thread, Laundrew...

It's always been about the music to me.  One of my earliest memories was my father bringing home Pink Floyd's The Wall on vinyl, tearing through the plastic wrap and playing it before taking his coat off.  My cousin and I were jumping on the couch to it. It was released in Nov '79, so I was 3 years old.  Don't ask how I can remember that, but it's very vivid.

My father had, and still has a very eclectic taste for music - classic rock, jazz, blues, classical, soul, pop, Latin, and on and on.  There was no such thing as 'bad music,' other than stuff that was age inappropriate for us. 

He had a decent system or two, but nothing to write home about.  Had he had more money, it would have definitely been a priority to get a better system.

I guess that's how I've become.   The system itself can be fun - hearing and buying different things.   But it's always been good enough.  Quite truthfully, better systems haven't made me listen to more music or different music.  It's not the sound quality that gets me to listen, it's the music itself.   Better sound quality makes the experience more enjoyable for the most part, but it's in no way the be all, end all of my music enjoyment.   There's times when I enjoy listening to music in my car (basically a factory system) and at work (iPod connected to a cheap boom box) just as much as I do at home.  I travel frequently due to my work, and pretty much equally enjoy listening to my iPod and Etymotic headphones as I do my home system.  Sometimes I think I enjoy it more.  That's an unwinding thing, I guess. 

Why I chose Bryston?   Their reputation as a company reall intrigued me.  Before I heard their stuff, I viewed the them as a company that makes gear you keep for life.  No disposable, consumerist planned obsolescence crap.  They're not the only ones like this, so that's not the only reason why I chose their gear. 

In addition to the above reason, it just sounds right to my ears.  Live recordings take me close to the venue without leaving my home.  Studio recordings make me feel like I'm in the studio with them.  I never feel like the system is going to put me to sleep.  It remains engaging and exciting (not in a boom and sizzle way) on stuff I've been listening to for decades.  I've owned Metallica's Ride the Lightning since around 1988.  Still not tired of hearing it.  I love hearing on any system, but my home system takes that enjoyment to the next level.  I own a ton of other albums like that that I can say the same thing about.

There are a t

Stu Pitt

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:47 pm »
Posting on my iPhone is a bit tricky...

There's a ton of great gear out there.  My B60 was the right piece at the right time, from the right seller.  Had it not worked out as it did, I could have just as easy lived with and enjoyed gear from companies like Naim, McIntosh, Manley, and dare I say... Simaudio for a very long time.

There's 'better,' that's for sure.  But it's going to need to bring my enjoyment of listening to my music up substantially, be built well enough to last at least a decade and a half, and be within my budget.

rob80b

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2010, 06:39 pm »
A great thread, Laundrew...

It's always been about the music to me.  One of my earliest memories was my father bringing home Pink Floyd's The Wall on vinyl, tearing through the plastic wrap and playing it before taking his coat off.  My cousin and I were jumping on the couch to it. It was released in Nov '79, so I was 3 years old.  Don't ask how I can remember that, but it's very vivid.

Definitely can relate to that scenario except I had two cats on the coach instead of kids at the time and the static electricity from that plastic wrapper sometimes became part of a comedy routine especially in the winter.
One day I might convert to an all digital playback and mass storage system but there is a lot to be said about that tactile experience of physically going out to get that recording you’ve been anticipating, then frantically rushing home to open it, and listening to it coat on or not.
CDs are still a bit like that, but that aspect of the ritual is almost a thing of the past as we go down the digital road, but regardless a lot of us here will still have one constant as the years pass by and that’s our Bryston gear.  :)

Robert

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:21 am »

Why We Buy What we Buy...

Ok, so I'm enjoying a great table wine (red), listening to a wonderful mix of male vocalists on my Amos Lee Pandora station, and typing.

I re-entered the music listening arena about three years ago, after a 20+ year hiatus.

It started innocently, with a move to upgrade my home theater system. The internet helped tremendously and I ended up with a 7.1 Kef iQ speaker system. A good buy, pragmatically speaking, and the SQ was far beyond what I had previously had in the home theater setup.

So the journey began....

To answer your question: Why We Buy What We Buy?  Allowing myself a bit of license, I would change your question slightly and word it like this: Why We Do What We Do?

I would have to say, for me, I am doing what I am doing, because I needed to re-educate myself and experience how far audio reproduction had come in the 20+ years since my last serious engagement with it.

I started by asking myself some questions. And I have been moving towards the answers. It has been about getting to know a part of myself.

- David

Stu Pitt

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2010, 03:42 am »
Robert,

I agree with what you're saying about the tactile experience.  I'll never stop buying physical media, so long as it's available.  In a mixed good and bad way, I don't have to wait to get home to hear an new CD.  I get in the car and usually end up tearing up the wrapper in a dash to get the CD playing.  Listen in the car even though I try to avoid that due to possible scratching, listen to it through the CDP, then rip it to my hard drive.  After all that I synch it to my Apple TV and my iPod.

Vinyl's another experience entirely.  I've usually heard it by the time it's out on vinyl, so the rush to hear something new isn't there.

Even if you use a server, it doesn't mean the tactile experience ends.

One thing I've wondered for a while now...   Does today's high school/college age generation know what day of the week new music debuts every week?   Probably not as everything is leaked/pirated way before it's released.  By the time it hits the stores, they're probably already sick of it. 

For the record (no pun intended), new music hits stores every Tuesday.