Why we buy what we buy….

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
Re: Why we buy what we buy….
« Reply #20 on: 4 Dec 2010, 02:33 am »
I'm in the 'for the music' camp on this one, by a margin of say... 95%

The desire to experience and immerse myself in the music more fully is the reason I have what I have.

When listening to music is the priority at hand,  I'm not one so settle for a mediocre listening experience. I don't need what some would consider the 'best' or the latest /greatest, but personal satisfaction is a must.

Yes aesthetics and showmanship were factors in equipment choices, it's cool when someone gets the wow factor, I suspect most of us are proud to show off our 'bad ass' systems, but 99.9% of my time in this dedicated room it's only me. Mine are the only ears and eyes that need be impressed.

Music- driving factor.. what it's all about. I would still listen to music regardless of the system.

On the other hand, because I enjoy the sound from good equipment, I listen to more and different genres of music that I wouldn't otherwise.

I wonder is vanity in equipment a necessary evil to enjoy it fully?

1ZIP

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:29 am »
I'm in the 'for the music' camp on this one, by a margin of say... 95%

The desire to experience and immerse myself in the music more fully is the reason I have what I have.

When listening to music is the priority at hand,  I'm not one so settle for a mediocre listening experience. I don't need what some would consider the 'best' or the latest /greatest, but personal satisfaction is a must.

Yes aesthetics and showmanship were factors in equipment choices, it's cool when someone gets the wow factor, I suspect most of us are proud to show off our 'bad ass' systems, but 99.9% of my time in this dedicated room it's only me. Mine are the only ears and eyes that need be impressed.

Music- driving factor.. what it's all about. I would still listen to music regardless of the system.

On the other hand, because I enjoy the sound from good equipment, I listen to more and different genres of music that I wouldn't otherwise.

Nicely put. :)

betamax

« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2010, 07:52 am »
When I was 14, my older brother brought home an Alice Cooper cassette tape and my whole world changed. Until then, I didn't know there was music out there that was different from Top 40 pop on the radio.

After that awakening, I listened to everything. My paper-route money went for tapes and I bought as many as I could. Later, I spent my savings on system of my own with a turntable. After that, I bought new records every Saturday morning. Unlike most of my friends, I cared more about music than cars.

And over the years my system was upgraded continually. At one point, however, I felt like I had made a fetish out of the system and was listening to it rather than the music. Listening to a record felt like being in church. So I sold everything and didn't have any system for several years. Then I bought a mid-fi system, one which was good enough but far from state of the art. Ten years after that, I wanted to have what I used to have, so I bought some decent gear, but it still didn't sound like what I had nor what I wanted. So I upgraded to Bryston and found it to be better than what I had and all that I wanted from a system.

I still love good, clear music, but I don't fetishize it. If I play some music, I don't have to sit down and do nothing else but listen, as I used to do years ago. When I listen to music, I prefer that it be reproduced as well as possible, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Timewise, most of my time per week listening to music is done in the gym with a Nano and Shure earphones, which is all I need there. The external noise there makes 'hi-fi' superfluous, and the music is ultimately what is most important.

But when I have the time, I like to listen closely to my system. I enjoy immensely the accurate, high-fidelity reproduction of good music. And in those still moments when I'm enjoying both the music and the system, the two together combine to stir my soul like nothing else quite does in this world.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 8 Dec 2010, 11:25 am »
What is your system there betamax?

rob80b

« Reply #24 on: 8 Dec 2010, 02:49 pm »
When I was 14, my older brother brought home an Alice Cooper cassette tape and my whole world changed.

Same for me but in "66",  it was Frank Zappa and the  Mothers of Invention "Freak Out", didn't really change my world but made me realize I wasn't alone. :D

1oldguy

« Reply #25 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:34 pm »
Same for me but in "66",  it was Frank Zappa and the  Mothers of Invention "Freak Out", didn't really change my world but made me realize I wasn't alone. :D

Hi Rob

Frank Zappa had a very twisted sense of the world according to most.....I don't think think like most, so he made perfect sense to me. :thumb:
Long live his music ,the man was a genius who was very down to earth.

drew54

« Reply #26 on: 8 Dec 2010, 05:35 pm »
the underlying reason must be the music. 
but this hobby is about gear. 

I find that speaker choices are most influenced by the kind of music the owner most likes to listen to- classic lovers can buy Quads- but I doubt many of us who like classic rock could live w them.

Once the speakers are selected, I think it makes the most sense to buy amps that get the most out of the speakers. 

Preamp is in the middle- I favor tube pre's, esp if using an SS amp.

I think that people spend as much as they want on sources- that price defines the equipment selection in this segment more than any performance parameter.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2010, 05:40 pm »

I think that people spend as much as they want on sources- that price defines the equipment selection in this segment more than any performance parameter.

Drew: Good points.

Can you explain what you mean in more detail regarding your statement in quotes, highlighted above? Thanks.

bummrush

« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2010, 07:31 pm »
        Above from before, some would sure make it seem that way.And wrathchild, you really put it into better words then me,thanks.

skunark

« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2010, 09:55 am »
Everyone has their thing or process on buying gear.  But for me it's a few things, right or wrong:
  • The total value of the Vinyl, CD or hi-rez should far exceed the value of my system.   Initially I felt a ratio was more appropriate but to be honest I gravitated towards select music and genres based on my moods swings so i've simplified this to just my tunes must exceed the value of my 2-channel setup.
  • Another issue i've dealt with is the amount I donate to charity vs the amount i spend on a stereo.  I have a hard time spending substantial cash on either but I've cheated here.. I'm helping my cousin's kid go to college, perhaps not a donation to charity in the true sense but it eases my conscious when i buy gear. And the little shit is going to a private school, so I'm probably set on buying gear for several years if not the rest of my life (yes I will adjust for inflation :) )

betamax

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2010, 08:52 am »
What is your system there betamax?

B100 DA SST, Rega Apollo, PMC DB2i's.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #31 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:59 am »
Cool.