VR2 replacement

bogiedr

VR2 replacement
« on: 27 Nov 2010, 03:13 am »
My wife asked me tonight while listening to the new King Crimson 200 gram vinyl re release ... "what model can be considered the replacement to the VR2's and how much do they cost?" I told her I had no idea but I would have an answer in the morning ... HELP????
Gracias!!!!!

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VR2 replacement
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2010, 03:52 am »
Go for it bogiedoc, or perhaps the VR35 with its upgraded cabinet acoustics, crossover parts and biwiring capability.  You won't go wrong with either (sounds like you may be in for a very nice Christmas!)  :thumb:

BigSwede

« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:03 pm »
Hi...first post here, glad to meet you all.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the VR-33 is considered a replacement for the VR-4jr., not the VR-2. Or maybe it is somewhere in between, cost wise. Guess it doesn't matter really.

I have VR-2s and would love to get some VR-33s, but that is not in the financial cards at present. But I would if I could.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:56 pm »
I have VR-2s and would love to get some VR-33s, but that is not in the financial cards at present. But I would if I could.

Welcome to the forum BigSwede. I heard the VR-33's and VR-35's and they are very fine speakers with a big sound. If you have a medium to large room they will perform much better than the VR-2's.

The VR-2's work great in a small room and can be modified to get close to the sound of the VR-33's, it takes a bit of work but the results are worth it. I posted the first part here and part 2 here.

Wayne

BigSwede

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2010, 06:34 pm »
Wow Wayne, interesting stuff. I am not a tweaker by inclination, but maybe...

I did try different jumpers, made by Anti Cable. I thought they did improve things a little.

I don't know if my room is all that big, the speakers are on the long wall of my living room in my very modest rambler...maybe 20'x12' at most. They are closer to the wall than is probably optimal, 8-10" clearance, but they seem to work well there, and I just don't have the room to get them much further out (The ability of the VR-33s to be placed near the wall is an attractive feature for me). The plaster walls help with reflecting the ambience tweeters, I suspect.

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2010, 08:36 pm »
I think the VSA rooms at RMAF were about the size of your room and the VR-33 sounded great. My room is 11.5' x 15' and I have the luxury of placing the VR-2's where ever I want so speaker fronts are 4' from the front wall and the centers are 2' from the side walls.

I can send you a brace kit ($100 + shipping) if you decide to do the DIY mod. It is best if you could find the Richlite locally. I can supply it but the local shop will only give me free samples once so I would have to buy about 5 or 6 square feet for $25 a square foot. Installing everything in the speakers is not hard but it does take patience and planning and some tools to trim the wood and Richlite if needed.

Wayne

BigSwede

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2010, 09:10 pm »
I was wondering how much you reduced the interior volume of the speakers with the bracing and Richlite...might affect the resonance frequency of the enclosure (not the enclosure materials, just the volume itself). I guess the proof is in the pudding...

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:57 pm »
I believe Von Schweikert speakers are slightly oversize regarding the volume needed for optimal performance. The VR-2's have an approximate interior volume of 1.63 Cubic feet. The braces and Richlite take up about .15 cubic feet or about 9%. The positives like better imaging, depth of field, tighter bass, and a clearer mid-range more than make up for any negative changes from the reduced volume. I think deep bass actually increased because the energy is no longer used to flex and vibrate the cabinet sides.

Wayne

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2010, 03:25 am »
I believe Von Schweikert speakers are slightly oversize regarding the volume needed for optimal performance. The VR-2's have an approximate interior volume of 1.63 Cubic feet. The braces and Richlite take up about .15 cubic feet or about 9%. The positives like better imaging, depth of field, tighter bass, and a clearer mid-range more than make up for any negative changes from the reduced volume. I think deep bass actually increased because the energy is no longer used to flex and vibrate the cabinet sides.

Wayne

Makes perfect sense. In comparisons I made between the SR Mk.2 and SR Mk.3 the latter using the triple laminate construction leading to greater rigidity at reduced internal volume. I experienced the same effect.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:28 pm »
Viva la triple laminate  :thumb:

BigSwede

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:52 pm »
Heck, I don't even use the floor spikes because I have to move the speakers to get to the back of the stereo cabinet...and I hate scarring the hardwood floors under the carpet. And my speaker cables are laying on the floor :o  I don't use any fancy vibration control pucks under the equipment. My cabinet is a 25 year old oak cabinet, nothing audiophile grade. Plenty of room for tweaking, if I was so inclined.

It's aggravating enough that I have to spend $$ on freaking power cords. I just was auditioning a new (used) CDP the last few days. It sounded significantly more clear and detailed than my old one, but it was overly bright. But this was with a 50 cent power cord, and $20 interconnects because the new one doesn't have XLRs so I couldn't use my "good" interconnects. But when I hooked up my python-sized audiophile power cord to the new CDP, all was now well with the world. Over-brightness, gone. How does a freaking power cord DO that? Nobody has ever explained it to my satisfaction.

I guess what I am saying is I have a real love/hate relationship with tweaks. :lol:

Indiansprings

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2011, 12:20 am »
I just wanted to pop is and say I still love my VR-2's  :D

scb

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2011, 09:41 pm »
I've had a pair of VR-2s since 2004 and I think it's finally time for an upgrade.  I'm currently bi-amping them with 4 channels of my Arcam P7 (and audio magic sorcerer speaker cables).  Thinking of moving to the Unifield 3 and keeping the Arcam around to power them. 

Has anyone used an Arcam power amp with the unifield 3s?

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2011, 10:46 am »
I had an Arcam A22 for a long time and they played everything up to the VR-5 SEs very well. That was just the A22. I can't see why your P7, which uses the better modules and produces more power, can't do the same, only better.

scb

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2011, 12:34 am »
I had an Arcam A22 for a long time and they played everything up to the VR-5 SEs very well. That was just the A22. I can't see why your P7, which uses the better modules and produces more power, can't do the same, only better.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. 

JackD201

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2011, 04:14 am »
Anytime

scb

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:00 pm »
pulled the trigger on the unifield 3.  a friend claimed my vr-2s immediately. 

bogiedr

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2011, 01:34 am »
Well folks I can tell you that from where I listen, once the NAD c 375BEE came aboard, the VR2's are going nowhere soon! The Clearaudio and Luxman tables sound incredibly good and the new Olive server simply rocks!! The love affair with the VR2's is back in full force, no way they are being replaced. That means it is time to work on a couple of vintage systems for other rooms in the house!!  :thumb: By the way, the bass response listening to Pat Metheny's "As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls" is beyond phenomenal!!!
Hit them straight!!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2011, 01:59 pm »
Just pulled the trigger on As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls doc.  That's one of Metheny's that slipped through the cracks.  Regarding your NAD375BEE, that must be one heckuva amp from all the interest on the net.  Happy listening.

BigSwede

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2011, 05:41 pm »
I like my VR-2s very much. So much that I am seriously thinking of replacing them...with VR-33s. Not from any lacking on the part of the VR-2s, but because people who should know have assured me that the VR-33s are mo' bettah  (except for perhaps WAF, good thing I'm not married :lol: ).