VR2 replacement

Indiansprings

Re: VR2 replacement
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2011, 08:05 pm »
I usually want the next step up on everything. I really like my VR-2 and dont feel the want or need to upgrade at all. I guess if I had a bunch of cash in my pocket, I might feel otherwise.  :singing:

BigSwede

« Reply #21 on: 27 Apr 2011, 08:18 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean...I guess this is my version of a mid-life crisis...or maybe a little later than "mid" :wink:

bogiedr

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:14 am »
 :D ES what did you think of "Wichita"? One of my all time favorites, the low bass line towards the end of Wichita is the standard by which I judge speaker abilities on the low end! By the way, if you can and find an NAD 375 reasonably priced, try it, closest to tubes I have heard and my NAD replaced a Cayin tube amp!!!

Sweede the mid life thingie ... let me know about the VR 33's, I may bite the bullet too. WAF not an issue here, my wife is a music freak also, (and sports, and cooking and ... let's say I am a lucky so and so), so I may take the plunge also!!
By the way guys, Springsteen's 1973 "The Wild, the Inocent and the E street Shuffle" sounds pretty doggone good on the Luxman. Old vinyl and VS2's are freaking amazing!!!
Hit them straight!!!!!

BigSwede

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:02 am »
Yep, I've pretty much decided I'm going to do it. They just sound perfect for my situation, and by all accounts are an incredible value.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2011, 10:51 am »
Albert sent me a pair to audition last year.  They sound way better than they have a right to based on the price.  A buddy from Missouri drove over, heard them, bought them.  I don't see how there could be anything in their price range that compares.  Pull that trigger my Swedish friend!  :thumb:

BigSwede

« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:46 pm »
Yep, I'm going to celebrate my first (very modest) raise in three years by peeing it away and then some on speakers  :thankyou:

Anybody in the Minneapolis area interested in some VR-2s?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2011, 09:26 pm »
Some would say that spending it on speakers is a form of peeing it away...but what do they know? :lol:

BigSwede

« Reply #27 on: 28 Apr 2011, 09:51 pm »
Actually that's what I meant...guess I wrote it poorly. I was saying the cost of the VR-33s is quite a bit more than my raise.

Indiansprings

« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2011, 10:48 pm »
Yep, I'm going to celebrate my first (very modest) raise in three years by peeing it away and then some on speakers  :thankyou:

Anybody in the Minneapolis area interested in some VR-2s?
Raise???   :birthday: Congratulations, those don't come around often. You deserve to treat yourself. Go for it.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2011, 12:57 am »
Oh I don't know about that...they just raised my property taxes  :?

pardales

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:33 am »
Actually that's what I meant...guess I wrote it poorly. I was saying the cost of the VR-33s is quite a bit more than my raise.

Go for it!   :thumb:

BigSwede

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2011, 01:38 pm »
I knew you guys would be helpful :lol:

The other day I spoke to several people at Von Schweikert, including Albert (for over an hour!). They assured me, as have others, that the VR-33 is a significant step up from the VR-2 (which, by the way, I am not trying to knock, I like my VR-2s very much and would recommend them to anyone). That was really my primary concern, that I would not be making just an incremental improvement for $4K.

WGH

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:06 pm »
You will be thrilled with the VR-33's. I'll look for your review and comparison to the VR-2's in a couple of months.

Wayne

Indiansprings

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2011, 12:40 pm »
You will be thrilled with the VR-33's. I'll look for your review and comparison to the VR-2's in a couple of months.

Wayne
Tell him we want pics too.  :D
Wayne, if he does a side by side comparison, you know its going to tempt you  :wink:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:08 pm »
With the VR33s you could easily build a system for well under 10 grand that would compete with systems costing magnitudes more.  Frugal and audiophile...two words that rarely exist in the same sentence.

WGH

« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2011, 02:40 pm »
Wayne, if he does a side by side comparison, you know its going to tempt you  :wink:

I'm already tempted, I'll have to give the 33s another listen at this year's RMAF but at 50" tall and 16" wide the size alone will overwhelm my 15' x 11.5' living room and I may go in another direction. The Unifield's would work but they are way over my pay grade.

Wayne

BigSwede

« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:20 pm »
With the VR33s you could easily build a system for well under 10 grand that would compete with systems costing magnitudes more.  Frugal and audiophile...two words that rarely exist in the same sentence.
With the VR-33s, retail price for my system will be just barely under $10K. Since I bought my (Bel Canto eVo2i Gen II) integrated as a dealer demo and my (Bel Canto PL-2 universal) player used, I paid considerably less than that.

BigSwede

« Reply #37 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:26 pm »
I'm already tempted, I'll have to give the 33s another listen at this year's RMAF but at 50" tall and 16" wide the size alone will overwhelm my 15' x 11.5' living room and I may go in another direction. The Unifield's would work but they are way over my pay grade.

Wayne
I discussed room size with several people and based on what I have been told, sonically I don't think you would have a problem with the VR-33s in that room...as far as aesthetics, that is your call.
They will definitely be a bigger visual presence than the VR-2s.

WGH

« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:29 pm »
I discussed room size with several people and based on what I have been told, sonically I don't think you would have a problem with the VR-33s in that room...as far as aesthetics, that is your call.
They will definitely be a bigger visual presence than the VR-2s.

Thanks, that is good to know. If I had a dedicated listening room size would not be a problem but this is my my living room too. No decisions have been made yet but I did do a little Photoshopping.

Before

After (yes they should be facing straight ahead)

Wayne

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:56 pm »
Pull the trigger Wayne...oops probably not supposed to used that expression any more  :duh: