Rolling Stones Remaster box set

acwd1950

Rolling Stones Remaster box set
« on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:55 pm »
I seen this on Facebook page today and had to share. Looks like 13 albums!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00461MY30/?tag=httpwwwabkcoc-20

Theres the link to it. Just in time for holidays. I would like to have it but dont have the money for it :(

Steve

acwd1950

Re: Rolling Stones Remaster box set
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:59 pm »
There is TWO of these box sets!! Cool! Still no money LOL!

Steve

acwd1950

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:01 pm »

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:42 pm »
We've just received the promo sets.  The early edition box is great, the later stuff is crapola.  That's the short version.  Full review out later this weekend when our new issue goes live.

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:50 pm »
I have a lot of holes in my early Stones, the early set would be perfect for me. Much of the latter stuff I can do without and you can get most of it at record shows pretty readily. I'll be very interested to hear about the mastering process, like, is it off digital masters that were used previously for the other remasters.

AND

who did the remastering.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:54 pm »
And looking further, if the reviews of Exile are accurate, the remastering may be less than stellar...

Gotta see the TONEPUB article this weekend!!!!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:51 pm »
I pretty much quit listening to the Stones after Let It Bleed, so I couldn't see paying anything close to the price they are asking for either box set. I might be interested if they were to offer individual albums. Some of my earlier albums, especially the two monos I have are pretty beat up from college & law school abuse.

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:45 am »
Laura, how disappointing! I saw your name in the topic posting list and assumed, I just knew, that you had bought one of the boxes and were gonna give the green light to buy!!!! The first box is perfect for you. It ends (basically) with Let It Bleed!!!!

Paul :icon_lol:

acwd1950

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2010, 02:22 pm »
I thought that it was pretty pricey too but if ya break it down its only $21.34 a album. Which isnt too bad considering. On the early box set. The later box set is a little cheaper like $21.23 a album. They should offer them as separate albums but the price would be higher. I want to see TONEPUB review on these box sets. Where is that review going to be?

Steve

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2010, 03:46 pm »
I want to see TONEPUB review on these box sets. Where is that review going to be?

Steve

Me too. Should be Vol 33 here:

http://www.tonepublications.com/

Paul

Toni Rambold

« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:26 am »

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:34 am »
Probably going to be Monday, but if any of you would like to read the review now, please email me and I can send it to you.  Again, I'd avoid the later box..

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2010, 05:01 am »
Laura, how disappointing! I saw your name in the topic posting list and assumed, I just knew, that you had bought one of the boxes and were gonna give the green light to buy!!!! The first box is perfect for you. It ends (basically) with Let It Bleed!!!!

Paul :icon_lol:

My inclination is to pass, but I might consider the first box set once I see some more reviews. Now, when The Beatles release their remastered vinyl box set, I will be first in line to buy :D

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:09 am »
Word is that the Beatles remasters are not getting a very high level of attention payed to pressing quality...  Not going to be pressed at Pallas or RTI.

dminches

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:26 pm »
Have any of the records in the first box set been available before or are these new remastered versions?  I am asking because I assume some of the second box set have been, like Exile.

orthobiz

« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:32 pm »
My inclination is to pass, but I might consider the first box set once I see some more reviews. Now, when The Beatles release their remastered vinyl box set, I will be first in line to buy :D

I am making an online prediction that you will buy the first box. I'm waiting for TONEPUB's review, but I am missing a ton of early Stones and won't need the "early" late box Stones because I already have most everything I need or want.

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:13 am »
Word is that the Beatles remasters are not getting a very high level of attention payed to pressing quality...  Not going to be pressed at Pallas or RTI.

That is really disappointing to hear :thumbdown:

TONEPUB

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:02 am »
The Early Stones Box is done by Abko and are almost identical to the SACD's.  The same files are used to source the LP's, but very good.  I'm pretty sure that the stuff on the first Stones' box is similar to the earlier MoFi Stones box set, also sourced from Abko, but the MoFi's are sourced from analog masters.  However the Mofi Stones boxes are fetching 600-2000, depending on the condition.

If you just want the earlier part of the Stones catalog, this new box set is awfully nice.

orthobiz

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:39 am »
However the Mofi Stones boxes are fetching 600-2000, depending on the condition.

Like this:
http://www.popsike.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Sound-Labs-Rolling-Stones-Box-Set/120072346296.html

Paul