HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

Bigfish

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
« on: 17 Nov 2010, 11:14 am »
Finally a movie is being released that I am really looking forward to seeing!  Who is going this weekend?

Ken

Bigfish

Re: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2010, 01:32 pm »
My wife, my son (who has read all the Potter Books) and I went to see this movie on Thursday Afternoon.  I have not read the books but have seen all the previous films.  I am disappointed that Hollywood decided to split this book into two movies and in my opinion did so purely for capital gain.  Due to splitting the book I think this movie moves far too slowly, at least for me. 

My wife who has enjoyed the previous movies commented yesterday that there was nothing memorable about this one.  Yes it was disappointing and while I will go to see the last film next summer I will do so purely since I have seen all the previous ones.  My rating 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Ken

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2010, 02:17 pm »
We bought dBox seats for it and had some fun.  I'm not a HP fan per se but really enjoyed this one and laughed quite a bit as well.  So not as morbid and life-threatening throughout as in other HP movies.  Snake made me jump too!

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2010, 02:58 pm »
Snake made me jump too!

Yes, me too! 

Ken

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2010, 03:08 pm »
My wife, my son (who has read all the Potter Books) and I went to see this movie on Thursday Afternoon.  I have not read the books but have seen all the previous films.  I am disappointed that Hollywood decided to split this book into two movies and in my opinion did so purely for capital gain.  Due to splitting the book I think this movie moves far too slowly, at least for me. 

My wife who has enjoyed the previous movies commented yesterday that there was nothing memorable about this one.  Yes it was disappointing and while I will go to see the last film next summer I will do so purely since I have seen all the previous ones.  My rating 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Ken

Watched it yesterday, and I agree with everything above including the rating!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2010, 06:20 pm »

Ken

Well at least it won't be a long wait for Part 2, scheduled to be released July15, 2011. Have to admit your rating has me a bit depressed as I was hoping for a smashingly good finale. Oh well, I'll be seeing this flick in IMAX next week.

Cheers,
Robin

galyons

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2010, 06:26 pm »
Movie 7 is really good.  It is, IMO,  closest of all of the movies in maintaining the tone and tenor of the book.  If you think the movie is slow, read the book and you'll see why. Not every story can be portrayed in continuous 15 second sound bites!!!

Cheers,
Geary

Art_Chicago

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2010, 06:40 pm »
Movie 7 is really good.  It is, IMO,  closest of all of the movies in maintaining the tone and tenor of the book.  If you think the movie is slow, read the book and you'll see why. Not every story can be portrayed in continuous 15 second sound bites!!!

Cheers,
Geary

I saw most of the movies, but cannot stand the book. Any of them. Just poorly written, imho.

galyons

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2010, 07:34 pm »
I saw most of the movies, but cannot stand the book. Any of them. Just poorly written, imho.
Well THAT would certainly explain why the books were such a worldwide failure!  :roll:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2010, 07:42 pm »
(8^Q...   ...books failed miserably.. Good thing they made Rowling is a BILLIONAIRE.. or she might be on a breadline. LOL
The first half of the Deathly Hallows is slow (that is it fleshes in the actual lives of the characters.. I guess some think that is a 'bad' thing?), the part two is going to be a actionfest from start to finish... So get ready for it. The battle will commence in July!
I have read the seven books three times from start to finish (IE the last  two reads were all seven books in ten days each time... I can read a LOT)

finsup

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2010, 08:19 pm »
I saw it today and I agree with Elizabeth. I have not read any of the books but my wife has, and it never fails that after I see one of the installments, even repeatedly, I am asking her questions about the back-story -- all the stuff in the books that did not make it into the movie. 

I am fine with this movie taking its time to set up the finale.  Based on what I saw today, I can't imagine the finale making much sense without this movie setting things up for us. 

Bigfish

« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2010, 09:52 pm »
I read the responses to my review and it would seem some disagree with my assessment.  I asked my 26 year old son for his rating.   Remember he has read all the books and knew what was going to happen in the movie.  He said, "dad, boring is boring and I agree with your rating of 2.5 out of 5 stars for this movie."  I will be interested in other long-tem members reviews! 

Ken

timjthomas

« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:13 pm »
Bigfish - I agree with your rating.  I've read the books and seen all of the movies, and part 1 was "so so."

Then again, I did not particularly care for book 7.  The writing aside (fun story, but not great writing), I "blame" book 7 on the editing.  There was far more potential in the story -- several other side plots such as following Neville at Hogwarts -- that should have come out in the books.  Following Harry around for 100's of pages did little to further the story in many cases.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:41 pm »
Well THAT would certainly explain why the books were such a worldwide failure!  :roll:

Well, in general I do not see the connection between the huge sales of a book, cd, ets and the quality of the content. I'd never buy a cd by lady gaga just because she sold so many million copies. I agree that it takes certain tricks and special talent to please the crowd, and only a few know how to succeed.  I do think that HP is a great idea, but the books are of sub-quality.

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2010, 11:55 pm »
As much as I enjoyed the books I was a little unhappy with the DVD of "The Half-Blood Prince".  Somehow seeing the intrepid trio growing up spoiled the magic. It was easier to suspend disbelief in a child's fantasy world. It seemed like they had to fold Ron to get him into the Hogwarts train compartment.  Slouched in the seat he looked just like any other surly teenager.

In the books (in my mind) they never get any older.

galyons

« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:14 am »
Well, in general I do not see the connection between the huge sales of a book, cd, ets and the quality of the content. I'd never buy a cd by lady gaga just because she sold so many million copies. I agree that it takes certain tricks and special talent to please the crowd, and only a few know how to succeed.  I do think that HP is a great idea, but the books are of sub-quality.

Well to each his own.  Personally, if one cannot differentiate between the manufacture and marketing of pop pablum and a well crafted literary work for children, I suppose any opinion could be put forth.

IMO, it was the story and the quality of writing that took a kid's book viral, crossing most age and cultural barriers.  I agree that we may not be talking Steinbeck or Dickens, but then only time will tell. There is a far greater commitment that one makes reading books than plopping the latest pop tart into the CD player.  Of course, as in most things, YMMV!

Cheers,
Geary
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2010, 01:04 am by galyons »

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:22 am »
Story - My niece is a children's book editor in New York, now with Harper Collins. In the 90s she was in Disney Books New York office, in fact she helped establish the Disney office in NYC, and an unknown English author came to her with a manuscript. My niece read it and would have been the editor, recommending that Disney publish it, saying she thought it was great, but her superior declined, saying the story was derivative, had been done many times before, etc. The author was Rowling who apparently knew she had a hit and was asking for a $40,000 advance, unheard of for a first time author, another reason Disney turned her down. Rowling then went to Scholastic Books and the rest is history.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2010, 01:39 am by Randy »

kingdeezie

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:32 am »
I don't think I would qualify as a "long term" member, so I don't know if my two cents would count for anything other then zero, but I very much enjoyed the movie.

The atmosphere of the entire film was great, the chemistry between the three main characters was as good as ever, and I felt that the pacing was pretty good.

I had never read the books so watching things unfold was pretty exciting for me. It certainly left me excited for the next installment, and I really felt like it was the most mature entry to date.

I also appreciate that they decided to split it into two movies. Again, I am not sure what follows, since I haven't read the books, but I felt like I was given enough story to validate it as entire movie.

If there is even an hour of content left, cramming it into one movie would have led to a lot of stuff getting chopped up and off.

If Warner did it to cash in, so be it; at least we get a more fleshed out conclusion then if they hadn't. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:21 am »
I've never seen any of the Potter movies.  I was under the impression that they're kids movies?  Maybe not, though.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:35 am »
I've never seen any of the Potter movies.  I was under the impression that they're kids movies?  Maybe not, though.

I've seen every one of them but I don't see them as being just kids movies when kids die in these episodes. And then there's the special effect, gotta love them.

FWIW, Rotten Tomatoes has this movie listed at 78% to date. Pretty good Potter percentage.  :lol:  I'm either heading to the IMAX tomorrow or thursday myself. I'll probably fit in The Rock's new movie, Faster as a doubleheader.  8)

Cheers,
Robin