HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

mhconley

Re: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2010, 07:24 pm »
I've never seen any of the Potter movies.  I was under the impression that they're kids movies?  Maybe not, though.

I was the same way about the books when they first came out.  I used to make fun of the adults reading them on planes, trains. etc...  That is until I picked up the first book and read it myself.  Wonderfully imaginative storytelling for kids of all ages from 9 to 99.  :D

As for the latest Harry Potter movie...  Hollywood really p*$$3d me off with the original two-part-sequel-filmed-at-the-same-time-and-split-into-two-separate-movies-with-a-cliffhanger-in-the-middle - Back to the Future Part II and III - and again with Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man's Chest & At World's End.  (I forgave George Lucas for what he did in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi because they were both so freakin' great.)

Anyway, back to this movie.  I will not see this movie in the theater, although I did see the last three there.  We own all six prior Harry Potter movies on Blu-ray and plan a seven movie Blu-ray marathon including and the Deathly Hallows Part I which I am sure will be released prior to next summer's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II release, which I do plan to see in the theater.

I'll just wait six months and see the whole shebang...

Martin
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2010, 09:05 pm by mhconley »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:29 am »
Well I spent the afternoon watching movies while being w/o power for about 20 hours at home due to 60mph winds that did a number on the trees. Unlike my home last night, the theatre was nice and warm.

OK. Potter,, I loved it! Yeah there were some slow parts but I found more information in this movie than most of the other Potter movies. A solid 3 of 5 stars and it would have been high if it wasn't for them slow scenes. I can't wist til July 2011.  :hyper:

But for now, it's on to TRON.  :hyper:  12/17/10  :hyper: :hyper:  in IMAX 3D  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

ps, Faster was kicka$$ also, 3 of 5 stars cuz it's my kinda movie.  :guns:

finsup

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:46 am »
Tron and Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Man, Christmas season is great for movie releases!

Bigfish

« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2010, 12:33 am »
Since seeing the movie on Thanksgiving Day I have read the book as I could not wait to know the ending.  While I still stick to my rating of the movie I must admit the movie accurately tracks the book.  The first half of the book is boring as heck but man the second half of the book is non stop action.  The final movie should be the best Potter Movie ever!

Ken

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2010, 07:34 am »
Since seeing the movie on Thanksgiving Day I have read the book as I could not wait to know the ending.  While I still stick to my rating of the movie I must admit the movie accurately tracks the book.  The first half of the book is boring as heck but man the second half of the book is non stop action.  The final movie should be the best Potter Movie ever!

Ken

Yes, this film is the closest adaptation of the series. I'm kind of glad they did it this way because it confirmed my feelings about the book which is yeah, real snoozefest for the first half. I prefer the films to the books by a mile; it's a miracle that a series of sequels have managed to not only successfully adapt source material, but for the most part improved within the film series itself with each successive outing. Pretty amazing. I do think that Rowling is not that great a writer, but the books have a lot of heart and are a labor of love and it shows. It's also clear she has a strong hand in the films, for which I give her even greater respect. She's earned every penny. Unlike Dan Brown.

Narnia = whatever. just proves HP as exception to the rule. another example of what happens when
a studio calls the shots for an adaptation.

ctviggen

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm »
Personally, I love the books.  I think she developed such a completely different world that they're totally fun to read.  I really liked the last book and felt that it had to be made the way it was -- there's a lot that happens in that book.

mhconley

« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:34 pm »
Personally, I love the books.  I think she developed such a completely different world that they're totally fun to read.  I really liked the last book and felt that it had to be made the way it was -- there's a lot that happens in that book.

I agree 100%.

I loved the first movie because of how faithfully the screenplay followed the book.  With each subsequent book growing in length the movies captured less and less of the surrounding story and became less and less faithful to the books.  I hope splitting the final book into two movies allowed them to remain faithful to it and capture all the nuances and backstory it contained.

Martin

finsup

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:06 pm »
Narnia = whatever. just proves HP as exception to the rule. another example of what happens when a studio calls the shots for an adaptation.

It's a rare movie where the adaptation is faithful to the book.  Almost all of the Potter movies, by and large because of the size of the books and number of story lines, weren't all that "faithful" if you know what was left out so we'll disagree on your point about HP being the exception to the rule except for the last book.  Breaking up the last book into two moves, while the first movie is boring to many, likely will end up being the best installment at the end of the day. 

I have not read the Narnia books (how many here have?) and I haven't read the Potter books either but I have seen the movies.  My comment was in context of the movies coming out this season (e.g. Tron).  Don't like the Narnia movies -- don't see them...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
It's a rare movie where the adaptation is faithful to the book.  Almost all of the Potter movies, by and large because of the size of the books and number of story lines, weren't all that "faithful" if you know what was left out so we'll disagree on your point about HP being the exception to the rule except for the last book.  Breaking up the last book into two moves, while the first movie is boring to many, likely will end up being the best installment at the end of the day. 

I have not read the Narnia books (how many here have?) and I haven't read the Potter books either but I have seen the movies.  My comment was in context of the movies coming out this season (e.g. Tron).  Don't like the Narnia movies -- don't see them...

: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 3D will be my next movie venture, it's a good series with excellent special effects. Then TRON the following week and that'll probably close out my 2010. What I don't do is read story books, never liked being forced to do is in school and that dislike simply transisioned to adulthood.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2010, 05:02 pm »
Took my wife to HP last night.  She commented that it was as if she'd seen the movie before, it was so close to the book she'd read.

I didn't find it boring.  Methodically put together, yes, but not boring.  It gave me the time to look deeper into the film, the camera work, scenery, etc., for little subtle touches.  When we got out of the theater I had no idea it was over two hours.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #30 on: 8 Dec 2010, 09:29 pm »
I could notice a significant improvement over the slow, boring and talky previous film....a bit scary but really interesting!