New digital SLR has finally arrived...Nikon D7000

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
New digital SLR has finally arrived...Nikon D7000
« on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:37 am »
The good news is that my Nikon D7000 has finally arrived.   :thumb:

The bad news is that I am silly busy with work and haven't had time to really play with it and start to learn all about its cool features and functionality.

I am using a Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens with the D7000.

I hope to get some time this weekend and will report back on my initial impressions.

George

Wind Chaser

Re: New digital SLR has finally arrived...Nikon D7000
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:44 am »
Congratulations, George!  You picked a great camera.  :thumb:

gary

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:10 am »
I bought one for work; it's amazing. My D90 is a great camera, but the D7000 is in a whole different league... it's like getting a BMW M3 for the price of a VW.

gary

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:24 am »
Pics!!!

(Psst... can we help you buy some more lenses ;) )

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:25 pm »
Congrats on the new Nikon DSLR! 

Agreed.  I think a good fast lens can complement that new steed. 

gary

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:25 pm »
Mine is permanently bolted down to a slit lamp, which also ties up my 105mm VR lens.
Unfortunately I can't show any pictures I've taken, but I can say that the 1080p video I've shot of contact lenses on eyes has turned out absolutely phenomenal.

gary

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:39 pm »
George,

Congrats. The D7000 should be a super camera and the price is right. I want to upgrade my camera and really like the Nikon. What accessories did you buy-or do you have? I need a tripod and I'll probably buy at least one lens filter to protect my lens.

Joe

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:39 pm »
Hey!

Congratulation on your new DSLR. Have fun! :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:08 pm »
Pics!!!

(Psst... can we help you buy some more lenses ;) )

Not that I feel the need for more lenses right now, but what are you suggesting?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2010, 05:11 pm »
George,

Congrats. The D7000 should be a super camera and the price is right. I want to upgrade my camera and really like the Nikon. What accessories did you buy-or do you have? I need a tripod and I'll probably buy at least one lens filter to protect my lens.

Joe

I am using a Nikon filter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R97U/ref=oss_product) and already owned a couple of tripods.

I also bought a pair of 16GB SD cards (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HFER6O/ref=oss_product).

George

cliffy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:51 am »
I just bought my wife the same camera. She already had the 18-200 VRII from her D40. ( I know the lens cost twice as much as the D40 :duh:).

It is quite a learning curve stepping up from the 40 to the 7000 but so far the camera is pretty amazing out of the box on Auto.

jvc

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2010, 03:35 am »
I've wanted to get back into an SLR camera. Since everything is digital now, of course it had to be a DSLR. A couple of weeks ago I went and bought the new Nikon D7000. This is a very nice camera! But I have to learn all over again, how to use it. Basically, starting from scratch. Since I had no lenses, I had to buy the kit, which included the NIKKOR 18-105mm DX VR Lens. Seems to be a pretty decent lens, but I'll need a couple of others at some point (macro and telephoto). That will be awhile though. I'm enjoying learning this camera, but this is going to take awhile. Things don't seem to stick in memory as well as they once did. I've been watching Nikon's Digitutor for the 7000, over and over, trying to store it all in my memory. Notice I said "trying". :)
I'm reading the manual too, slowly but surely.

The Digitutor for the D7000 is here, for those not familiar with it:
http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d7000/index.html

Back in the 70s I had a Nikon F2 with three lenses and strobe unit. I've kicked myself many times for selling it. I loved that camera..........

gary

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2010, 05:10 am »
I think the 18-105mm VR lens is great, it's on my camera a lot. Given the range and the price I think the image quality is about as good as you could hope for. The 105mm VR micro lens is amazing, but pricey at about $1k... work paid for mine or I would definitely not have it (I'd probably get the cheaper 85mm lens).

The controls are a little confusing, but once you get used to being able to change everything without going through menus there is just no going back to a simpler camera.

gary

jermmd

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2010, 02:45 pm »
George,

Did you look at the Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 before you bought the Nikon? Other people at AC recommend the Sony, it seems to have similar specs, and it cost about $500 less than the Nikon. I'm not sure if the greater user base , lens availability, and larger screen are worth the money difference. Presumably, the Nikon would be easier to sell used as well. I'm just wondering if you considered the Sony and what your thoughts are.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:31 am »
George,

Did you look at the Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 before you bought the Nikon? Other people at AC recommend the Sony, it seems to have similar specs, and it cost about $500 less than the Nikon. I'm not sure if the greater user base , lens availability, and larger screen are worth the money difference. Presumably, the Nikon would be easier to sell used as well. I'm just wondering if you considered the Sony and what your thoughts are.

Can't say I did.

I wanted to stay with Nikon for the lens and accessory options on the used market.  Nikon cameras also hold their value very well.  Not sure about the SONY.

I also like the fact that a few good friends and a few co-workers are big time Nikon users and they helped me out.  As an added bonus, they have been kind enough to share their lenses with me.   :thumb:

All of this adds up to being worth the price difference to me.  Of course, this assumes that the Sony is as good as the D7000.

George

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2010, 09:58 pm »
George,

Hey!

Hmmm... who are this other  people? There are other Sony users here that I don't know of?  :lol:

Oh! Yeah, I'm also a Sony user. So, if you have any question about Sony DSLR you are welcome to ask me and I will see what if can help you with. Of course it is better to start a new thread because I'm not going to talk about Sony on Nikon thread here. :wink:

Take care,

jermmd

« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:15 am »
Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah, Buddy; you were who I was referring to. You and Phil. The Sony looks really nice and very similar to the Nikon for half the price. I'm not really concerned about resale but lens cost and selection is a concern.

Thanks,

Joe M.

SET Man

« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:27 am »
Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah, Buddy; you were who I was referring to. You and Phil. The Sony looks really nice and very similar to the Nikon for half the price. I'm not really concerned about resale but lens cost and selection is a concern.

Thanks,

Joe M.

Hey!

I see :lol: Well, as for the lens, true that Sony have less selection than N and C but it should have enough for most people need. :D

Anyway, if you ended up with a Sony... A55 looks pretty impressive right now (unless  you are want to do a more demanding work than A850 would do)... do check out Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5. This will cover most situations, a nice all around zoom, with Zeiss quality :D

But I do recommend that you go check all those DSLRs for your self in a good photo store and see what you are more comfortable with.  :D

Take care,

pardales

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2010, 01:52 am »
Is there such thing as a good digital SLR for well under $500? All the ones I keep seeing seem to start at $500 -- like the Olympus EP-1.

Not pro's here just looking to get out of the $100 disposable digital camera game. Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks

cliffy

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2010, 02:57 am »
Craigslist or eBay a  Nikon d40.