New digital SLR has finally arrived...Nikon D7000

ooheadsoo

Re: New digital SLR has finally arrived...Nikon D7000
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2010, 03:32 am »
There's been a deal around lately for a D3100 with 18-55 for just a shade over $500.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/43228?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SlickdealsnetFP+%28SlickDeals.net+Frontpage%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Pretty decent little deal.  It's dead now, but you might cross your fingers if you're not in a rush.

jermmd

« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:17 pm »
Newegg Has the Nikon D7000 with 18-105 lens for sale a $1349 with code EMCZNPY88. I'm very tempted.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:02 pm »
I was briefly tempted to buy the K-5 but I'm happy with my K-7 and K-x, so I'm looking at buying a few lenses instead... the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and the Tamron 70-200 2.8 - it's a bit big and heavy but the price is right.

WerTicus

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jan 2011, 04:47 am »
I bought a K-5... (which uses the 'same' sensor as the d7000) very happy with it. 
Chose K-5 over d7000, because I preferred the ergonomics after holding both.  I also really like Pentax's very small primes.

As the OP is aware having the dynamic range (14 stops) is an amazing thing.  Shadows just have zero noise and can be raised up out of the black without an issue.

Here is a raw file of a high contrast landscape scene so you can see just how little noise is in those shadows and just how far you can push them:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/RlRxTG15VnNtNEt4dnc9PQ

As you can see its basically a single shot HDR file.

Here is the 62mp panorama i took with the K-5 (resized to 1.5mp for the web :)
The dynamic range was a major help here.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2809/farmysunsets.jpg

100% crop:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9660/farmysunsetc.jpg
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2011, 09:09 am by WerTicus »

stereocilia

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2011, 05:04 am »
George, that would have been my pick, too. 

However, my budget was a little lower, so I picked the Sony alpha a55.  This camera has been (mostly) well-reviewed, and it fit my budget much better than the d7000.  It should get me off to a good start, and it's compact enough to easily schlep around Luxembourg next month. 

I'm a beginner, but I do have a basic understanding of how focal length, ISO, shutter speed, exposure, and depth of field are related.  It should be fun learning how to get better photos.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2011, 08:33 am »
It should be fun learning how to get better photos.

And a little frustrating at times too. :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2011, 12:36 pm »

However, my budget was a little lower, so I picked the Sony alpha a55.  This camera has been (mostly) well-reviewed, and it fit my budget much better than the d7000.  It should get me off to a good start, and it's compact enough to easily schlep around Luxembourg next month. 

I'm a beginner, but I do have a basic understanding of how focal length, ISO, shutter speed, exposure, and depth of field are related.  It should be fun learning how to get better photos.

I really enjoy the camera and I am slowly learning how to use all of its features and functions.  I continue to use the Nikon 18-200 lens, but I am playing around with a couple of prime lenses (35mm and 50mm) to see what those lenses do over the multi-purpose 18-200.

More importantly, buying the camera has pushed me to take even more pictures!  Over the holidays I took over 300 pictures and I am now learning how to use Lightroom 3 and Photo Shop CS5.   :wink:

I also want to take a photography course locally.  Any interest in doing this together?

Enjoy the camera Gale.

George 

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2011, 01:22 pm »

If you know that much, you are at least 80% there.   :thumb:

stereocilia

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:31 pm »
I also want to take a photography course locally.  Any interest in doing this together?

Enjoy the camera Gale.

George

That's a great idea.  The Adult Education Dept. in Needham had a digital photography class in October, but according to the website it filled up.  Do you have a particular class in mind?

SET Man

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:03 am »

Hey!

Wow! A new Sony user. Just want to say hi to a fellow Sony user.  :icon_lol:

Your Sony A55 is a capable camera, it is up to you to exploit it to it's fullest. So, have fun with it. :D

By the way if you using the kit lens and can afford it I highly recommend the Sony's Zeiss 16-80mm zoom.... well for any APC-S Sony DSLRs for that matter :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

stereocilia

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2011, 06:51 am »
It just arrived today!  This seems like a great little camera, but I could see how a new lens is a sensible upgrade.  Maybe for my birthday.

Anyway,  I was playing with shutter priority, this was open for 8 seconds while I balanced it on a railing.  We're way off topic, but here's a result of my goofing around with the settings.

jvc

« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2011, 02:17 am »
We got our tax return back last week. My wife told me I could sign up for the Kelby Training online: http://www.kelbytraining.com/ I signed up for the annual membership. There's access to everything they offer. Learn at my own pace. I'll be learning about Lightroom, some CS5, HDR, brush up on flash usage, and some wedding photography (niece getting married this year). I like what I've used so far. If the school's classes are full, this is a good option. I'm also taking a night class at the community college in digital photography.

Wife also told me to go ahead and order one of the two lenses I've been wanting. So, I did! I got the Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 DI VC USD. It came yesterday. It's a beast on my D7k. I've read nothing but good about this lens. Sundays is the only time I'll have a good chance to use it, until I get through delivering phone books (about 3 more weeks). Then I plan on getting a speedlight flash (SB700 or SB900). Maybe find a deal on an SB800. I'll get a grip too, along with extra battery and memory card. In Oct., I'll get the macro I want. I'm enjoying myself...........  :green: