My N3s build

jparkhur

Re: My N3s build
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:06 pm »
Will someone explain how a bypass cap works if they are still both attached to the lead?  I am no electric engineer, but i am finding it odd the signal does not just pass through both???/  Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:21 pm »
Yep, looks like I sent you the wrong inductors. Sorry about that.

Take the 2.2's and de-wind them by 9 turns and you'll have 2.0's.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #62 on: 3 Jan 2011, 03:42 pm »
I'm getting further into DIY than I thought I would  :icon_lol:...   No biggie.

Danny Richie

« Reply #63 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:20 pm »
Will someone explain how a bypass cap works if they are still both attached to the lead?  I am no electric engineer, but i am finding it odd the signal does not just pass through both???/  Thanks

Think of a capacitor as an energy storage device. The larger it is the more it can store. Also the larger it is the slower the rate of discharge. Think of it as power in... charging up... then discharging. The time involved in that process represents some smearing to the audio signal. Faster discharging caps are cleaner sounding. That's one of the reasons a Sonicap (for instance) sounds so much cleaner than so many others. Also, the fast discharge caps really give you the space between notes and that can be a big improvement in sound quality.

Now the tiny little by-pass caps are so small that they hold nearly no charge at all by comparison. It is basically power in and power out. So they tend to help discharge the stored energy of the larger cap when by-passing them. So you have a big needed cap value but you take on some of the fast discharge rate of the smaller cap.

How's that?

jparkhur

« Reply #64 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:57 pm »
Thanks Danny.. got it....   JP...Second set of cabinets for n3s almost done...   

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #65 on: 3 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »

Danny says this will give me about 1 to 1.5 db in the 1 to 2khz range.  Is it worth the trouble?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #66 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:30 pm »
I am finding the bypass caps a little challenging and started a separate thread  here.

Zerogravity

« Reply #67 on: 9 Jan 2011, 04:45 pm »
Measurements?  From me?  :o
By ear will do just fine! I decided to to try the floor tile, glue and open cell foam "constrained layer approach" due to budget constraints. I will use some of the No-Rez I had left over plus one sheet I purchased and use it around the drivers and back of the cabinet as Danny recommended. Good luck on your build, looks great so far!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #68 on: 9 Jan 2011, 05:02 pm »
Danny says this will give me about 1 to 1.5 db in the 1 to 2khz range.  Is it worth the trouble?
When I noticed the .2 mH difference, I said that it wouldn't be much change.  I don't think I'd bother with unwinding the coil for a 1 decibel dip.

Scott