My N3s build

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: My N3s build
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:23 am »
Are the instructions easy?? I have never read schematics, I'm in the Crossover Kindergarten. And they look great by the way!!!! :thumb:

You and me both!  I PMed Ron and as it happened he was just finishing up some crossovers, so he took closeup pictures and even graciously added a few tags to tell me what wire was coming in and what wire was going out.  The schematics are fairly simple (only three symbols) but without the pictures I was pretty well in the dark.  With both together it is fairly straightforward (says the man before he has tried them to see if they actually work  :D).  Mind you when it is a first time there is a lot of stuff to be thinking about like: will the board with those big caps on it fit through the driver hole, are the wires long enough (and will I have enough wire), same for shrink wrap, what is the right order to do stuff etc. etc....

BTW the actual soldering is really easy.

If anyone spots anything wrong in these now would be a good time to tell me...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:26 am »
If you plug them in and they don't start smoking its GOOD!!!Think how awesome it will feel to know you made the whole deal...very cool!!
 Enjoy :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:32 am »
The Gen 2 sonicaps are only a couple of bucks each vs. the $29 Platinum bypasses.   The gen 2's are nice but the platinums are noticeably superior.  Expensive, yes.  But if you want to hear all of the detail from your tweeters it's a worthwhile investment.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:34 am »
The Gen 2 sonicaps are only a couple of bucks each vs. the $29 Platinum bypasses.   The gen 2's are nice but the platinums are noticeably superior.  Expensive, yes.  But if you want to hear all of the detail from your tweeters it's a modest investment.

I'm sure you are right.  As I splurged on a woofer and amp  I think I'll save them for a spring upgrade.

dvenardos

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:31 am »
Send me your address and I will mail you a pair of Gen II to use in the tweeter circuit. I am too cheap for the platinums at this point.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:45 am »
Send me your address and I will mail you a pair of Gen II to use in the tweeter circuit. I am too cheap for the platinums at this point.
:o  No Platinums? 
 :green:   That is a more than generous offer Don!  I don't even know what I did to deserve it...  Check your PMs

Ron

« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:15 am »
 Your N3S crossovers look nice. Good job !  :)

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:18 am »
Your N3S crossovers look nice. Good job !  :)

So I guess I copied yours well?   :D

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:37 pm »
One down, one to go.  It plays too..

Getting the crossovers screwed in in there is a b*&^h.  This is a lot like work...  Having a coffee break...

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:49 pm »
They look great though.....no smoke yet?? LOL!!! :thumb: :thumb:

NeilT

« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:12 pm »
One down, one to go.  It plays too..
Getting the crossovers screwed in in there is a b*&^h.  This is a lot like work...  Having a coffee break...
[/img]

"A lot like work", major under statement!
The xovers in my OB7's, I totally underestimated how much work goes into their layout and installation.
Looks really good, very nice bevel cuts. Takes a very accurate tool to make cuts like that and have it come out true.
You are a skilled craftsman.

Neil

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:37 pm »
Well I am very happy with how these turned out.  They are quite a bit of labor and I don't know how much guys like Ron charge but I am sure they earn every cent they get.  They are a fairly challenging project. 

I weighed these for fun:  30lbs. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:41 pm »
Thanks for the compliment.  You too eclein!
"A lot like work", major under statement!
The xovers in my OB7's, I totally underestimated how much work goes into their layout and installation.
Looks really good, very nice bevel cuts. Takes a very accurate tool to make cuts like that and have it come out true.
You are a skilled craftsman.

Neil

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:52 pm »
They look great with whatever you put on them, how do they sound??

Ron

« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm »
 Very nice job !  :)  Anxious to hear your opinion on how they sound. The are a challenge to build. The N3 TL towers are even more of a challenge. Just finished a pair today in piano black. They turned out nice but very time consuming to build.  Will be post pictures of them either this evening or tomorrow.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:44 pm »
Thanks guys.

Finishing is not my strong point so I just used a latex varnish.  Pretty hard to fail using latex even though you wouldn't mistake it for a finer finish.The wood will yellow a bit with time.  They really look quite good in person.

Soundwise, when I first started them up I was like  :scratch:, this is what all the fuss is about?

I've been listening for a while now,  from my less than ideal usual position, and let me say this:  hell yes  :thumb:!  They kind of sneak up on you.  As everyone has said they are detailed and smooth.  I wouldn't have thought that it is possible to have great detail but that doesn't jump out at you.  I'm listening to Vivaldi by the Canadian Brass, something I haven't listened to in a long time because it just didn't sound good with either my x-ls or previously on the Mission MTM floorstanders I had.  Now it is just fantastic.  I can also listen at lower volumes and sitting off a center they are much more compelling than my x-ls (which have the upgraded crossover and No-Rez).  The bass using the x-sub is so much more to my liking than with the x-ls.  When I switched back to them I find they have a bloated bottom end.

So far I am very happy.  I expect they will "open up" some as they break in.  Also looking forward to the bypass cap upgrade but I just hope that this does not bring me anywhere near to brightness.

cujobob

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:57 pm »
They likely need quite a bit of break-in.  One of my N2X pairs was run on a driver burn-in device for quite a while before I heard it and another was sent to me basically fresh.  I was pretty underwhelmed by the N2X before break-in, the other blew me away.  Now, since the N3S has two drivers instead of one, it's probably not as bad because the low-end should fill in better right away.  The soundstage should hit you quickly though compared to the XLS....it's massive.

dvenardos

« Reply #37 on: 22 Nov 2010, 08:09 pm »
I wouldn't have thought that it is possible to have great detail but that doesn't jump out at you.  ... 
I can also listen at lower volumes and sitting off a center they are much more compelling than my x-ls (which have the upgraded crossover and No-Rez).

That is what I really liked about the N2X. Glad I didn't steer you wrong.  8)

Also looking forward to the bypass cap upgrade but I just hope that this does not bring me anywhere near to brightness.

The Gen IIs shouldn't change the sound, just increase the discharge rate of the caps which should give you better space between notes.

Great looking speakers! I thought you were just going to hammer out a box for them, but I should have known better.  :D

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #38 on: 22 Nov 2010, 09:43 pm »
That is what I really liked about the N2X. Glad I didn't steer you wrong. 

You do get most of the credit for steering me to these things.  Thanks Don  :thumb:.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2010, 11:35 pm by django11 »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #39 on: 27 Nov 2010, 10:13 pm »
What is a reasonable break in period on these?  Some parts of the sound are fantastic, some not so good.