My N3s build

Ron

Re: My N3s build
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
 It usually takes at lest 100 hours or more of burn in time to really open up and sound their best.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #41 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:35 pm »
Well I am very happy with how these turned out.  They are quite a bit of labor and I don't know how much guys like Ron charge but I am sure they earn every cent they get.  They are a fairly challenging project. 

Those look REALLY good! :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #42 on: 5 Dec 2010, 09:56 pm »
Thanks Ruben!

Now that they are pretty well burned in they are sounding really good.  Once I pop in a CD it is very difficult to leave the room or turn them off.  I'm very happy with this project and Danny's fine product.   :thumb:

In the new year I will do the Sonicap bypass but I'd be curious to hear what the difference is from someone who has gone from without to with the bypass caps.

Ron

« Reply #43 on: 5 Dec 2010, 10:19 pm »
 I highly recommend the Platinum bypass caps. In my opinion they provide better detail and a increased sense of space between musical sounds. I will definitely use them from now in anything I build for myself.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #44 on: 6 Dec 2010, 12:30 am »
Thanks Ron.  The Holy Grail is detail without brightness...

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #45 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:25 am »
I vaguely recall a post by Danny in which he stated that depending on what the rest of your system is comprised of you may not get the intended benefit of the Platinum bypass caps. In some situations, they can actually cause your speaker to sound too bright because they revel more of what's being fed to them. He stated that if you're powering the speakers with a receiver you'd likely be just as well without them. Seems to me that they are actually system dependent.

Is this right Danny?

Thanks,

Ruben

tvyankee

« Reply #46 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:32 am »
hello,

was wondering if anyone knew what the dispersion is like with this tweeter?

was thinking about getting one of these for a center channel.

thanks

dvenardos

« Reply #47 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:14 pm »
Are you looking for off axis response? Posted measurements are here.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64857.0

hello,

was wondering if anyone knew what the dispersion is like with this tweeter?

was thinking about getting one of these for a center channel.

thanks

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #48 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:31 am »
So I received the Platinum bypass caps.  Do I just attach a lead to both leads of the big caps on the high pass crossover?

Ron

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm »
Yes. You attach the leads of the Platinum bypass capacitors on each side of the large hign pass filter capacitors as shown in the attached picture.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #50 on: 2 Jan 2011, 01:25 am »
Yeah thanks Ron!  I pulled that picture up earlier today and lo and behold:  bypass caps.  I hadn't noticed them before today. 

So I got it done .  :thumb:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #51 on: 2 Jan 2011, 02:22 pm »
Well, I don't know if it is because I'm in a good mood or because I swallowed a large placebo pill this morning but the speakers sound *!*%!*ing good.  I'm just listening to the digital feed through my cable box on my Denon avr (which I hate for music) and every song sounds incredible.  Only about 12 hours of burn in so maybe I'm dreaming.  Sweet dreams though...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #52 on: 2 Jan 2011, 09:40 pm »
Told ya! :P

Ron

« Reply #53 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:17 pm »
 I just knew you would like them! :) Did you notice an increase in inner detail and depth of the sound field? I was listening to some classical music this afternoon on my N3S's and was really amazed at how I was hearing every little nuance and detail in the music. The Platinum bypass caps are certainly worth the extra cost in my opinion.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #54 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:43 am »

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #55 on: 3 Jan 2011, 04:52 am »
I just knew you would like them! :) Did you notice an increase in inner detail and depth of the sound field? I was listening to some classical music this afternoon on my N3S's and was really amazed at how I was hearing every little nuance and detail in the music. The Platinum bypass caps are certainly worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Yep, I am hearing more detail.  I only had time today to listen to a few tunes from a couple of CDs using my tri-path amp and tube pre-amp...

I listened slack jawed... 

BTW, I put the Gen II on the low pass crossover and I think the bass is better too.

Hey Ron, what do you set your crossover on your sub at?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #56 on: 3 Jan 2011, 05:37 am »
Interesting... you guys seem to have different value coils in your woofer circuit. Not by much, but enough to have an effect. ????? :scratch:

Ron

« Reply #57 on: 3 Jan 2011, 11:43 am »
   I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing it out. The correct value for the low pass coil is 2.00 mh, not 2.20 mh. A value of 2.00 mh is what the N3S crossover schematic specifies and what I received with my parts kit. You need to call Danny and let him know that you received the wrong low pass coils.

Ron

« Reply #58 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:35 pm »
 You asked where I set my subwoofer crossover.
 I set my crossover point around 80 hz  and the phase at 0 degree, then adjusted the output level on my sub until it sounded balanced with my main speakers. Seems to me I set the output level control around the 9:00 position, but your subwoofer setting may be different. Since my particular subwoofer has a roll off rate of 24 db/octive, this setting seems to work best with my N3S. Since not all listening rooms and placement are the same you will need to experiment with the settings until it sounds best to you. The settings I suggested will at least get you in the ball park.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #59 on: 3 Jan 2011, 01:16 pm »
   I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing it out. The correct value for the low pass coil is 2.00 mh, not 2.20 mh. A value of 2.00 mh is what the N3S crossover schematic specifies and what I received with my parts kit. You need to call Danny and let him know that you received the wrong low pass coils.

O crap...