Derek Jeter Gold Glove? Give me a break!

jackman

Derek Jeter Gold Glove? Give me a break!
« on: 10 Nov 2010, 03:31 pm »
I thought I was hearing things when I learned Jeter won the Gold Glove for 2010.  This is a complete joke.  He had a good year in terms of errors (only 6 for the season). Heck, it was an exceptional year from that standpoint.  Unfortunately, this guy has the poorest range of any shortstop in the league.  Please see attached:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Yankees-Jeter-plays-bad-defense-wins-undeserve?urn=mlb-283888

I love the Yankee fans on the comment section defending this bad decision.  It's bad for the award, bad for baseball and bad for players like Alexi Ramirez (and a couple others) who deserved the award.  If Jeter wasn't a Yankee, I doubt anyone would know who he was.  He has played his whole career with "protection" in front and behind him in the order and, as a Yankee, he pretty much gets the benefit of the doubt on all close pitches.  It's not like the Yankees don't already have a first baseman and second baseman with 2010 Gold Glove awards.  Do they really need an undeserved third?  The Gold Glove award is officially a joke.

Screw baseball! :x

tvyankee

Re: Derek Jeter Gold Glove? Give me a break!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2010, 03:43 pm »
its only a joke when you don't get one. i'm sure if someone else should have gotten it they would have.  i love how its so easy for everyone to bash the yanks. in all my years playing sports i never thought it was crime to want to win even if you paid for it legally.

better luck to everyone else next year i guess.

ps. i'm not even a yanks or mets for that matter and i live in nyc.

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2010, 03:51 pm »
its only a joke when you don't get one. i'm sure if someone else should have gotten it they would have.  i love how its so easy for everyone to bash the yanks. in all my years playing sports i never thought it was crime to want to win even if you paid for it legally.

better luck to everyone else next year i guess.

ps. i'm not even a yanks or mets for that matter and i live in nyc.

It's only a joke when an undeserving person gets one.  This guy isn't even in the top ten in terms of his ability to get to balls.  Heck, he rates 99th in range at the position.  This has to count for something.

Honestly, anyone who thinks Jeter deserved or earned this award knows nothing about baseball.  It is a complete JOKE.  This isn't like the All Star team, which is a popularity contest.  Jeter didn't even come close to deserving this award. 

Also, let's not talk about "legally", unless you want to talk about A-Roid and Andy HGH Pettit.  Cheaters...

Berto

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:19 pm »
It's only a joke when an undeserving person gets one.  This guy isn't even in the top ten in terms of his ability to get to balls.  Heck, he rates 99th in range at the position.  This has to count for something.

Honestly, anyone who thinks Jeter deserved or earned this award knows nothing about baseball.  It is a complete JOKE.  This isn't like the All Star team, which is a popularity contest.  Jeter didn't even come close to deserving this award. 

Also, let's not talk about "legally", unless you want to talk about A-Roid and Andy HGH Pettit.  Cheaters...

:lol: Love how you say "anyone who thinks he deserves this award knows nothing about baseball".  He was voted in by the people who manage and coach the game and collectively know more about baseball then anyone else on the planet  :wink:

With all that being said I am a diehard yanks fan and do agree his range shrunk this year but I guess being as good a fielder he has been for so many years pays dividends. A shoe in for the Hall of Fame, when its all said and done and there is no argument there :thumb:

drab

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:47 pm »
The same people who awarded it to Rafael Palmiero at first base a few years back. He only played 31 games at first that year.

cujobob

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
Jeter's never been a great SS...competition at SS hasn't been amazing every year either, though.

Brandon Inge, of the Tigers, not having at least one gold glove is a real issue for me, though.  Austin Jackson clearly deserved one in the OF this year, too.

Other bad gloves given out would have to be Pudge getting one any time after playing with the Rangers.  His defense has been on the decline for many many years...love the guy as a player...but he lived on reputation, as do many players.  Jeter was the face of the Yankees and thus given more credit for that reason.

Bad gold gloves are nothing new.  Cal Ripken Jr. anyone?

drab

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:58 pm »
Yes, the Gold Glove award is an offensive award. Double entendre intentional. :lol: And while we're at it, how can not one center fielder win in the outfield?

tvyankee

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:07 pm »
well i meant money not drugs but if you want to talk about drugs then you might as well talk about all of baseball or any other sport for that matter.  i'm sure your team has a few guys stopping at the gas station filling up. anyway, the point is that if he sucked that bad and it was as plane as day as you say i don't think that the mangers would vote for him since the mangers of there own teams can not vote for him anyway. he could win next year too. watch out.

drab

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:25 pm »
well i meant money not drugs but if you want to talk about drugs then you might as well talk about all of baseball or any other sport for that matter.

Not sure if this was directed at my Palmiero comment but I wasn't referring to drugs at all. My point was more about great players losing their skills. Sometimes the last people to notice are the ones who are right in front of you. Palmiero had been a great defensive first baseman but when they gave him this particular award he had become nearly a full time DH.

Edit: Ooops! Saw the drug reference. :oops:

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:46 pm »
:lol: Love how you say "anyone who thinks he deserves this award knows nothing about baseball".  He was voted in by the people who manage and coach the game and collectively know more about baseball then anyone else on the planet  :wink:

With all that being said I am a diehard yanks fan and do agree his range shrunk this year but I guess being as good a fielder he has been for so many years pays dividends. A shoe in for the Hall of Fame, when its all said and done and there is no argument there :thumb:

Berto, you missed my point.  If the people who are supposed to be experts give Jeter this award, the award is a meaningless joke.  Also, they know more about baseball than anyone in the world, their rational for giving the award indicates complete ineptitude or an alterior motive. 

Jeter will make the HOF, no doubt.  We aren't going to argue that.  I'm just saying this latest award was undeserved.  It's a shame because the baseball world pretty much bends over for the Yankees as it is.  Do they really need to give them awards they didn't even earn?   :scratch:

Maybe they should have given Jeter MVP, heck World Series MVP for that matter.  Why not, he deserved those awards about as much as he deserved the Gold Glove. 

Cheers,

J

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »
well i meant money not drugs but if you want to talk about drugs then you might as well talk about all of baseball or any other sport for that matter.  i'm sure your team has a few guys stopping at the gas station filling up. anyway, the point is that if he sucked that bad and it was as plane as day as you say i don't think that the mangers would vote for him since the mangers of there own teams can not vote for him anyway. he could win next year too. watch out.

He might win the year after he retires also.  It doesn't make it right.  The latest award was a joke.  Too bad Major League Baseball lost the ability to feel shame a long time ago...they should be ashamed of this decision.  IMO, the Gold Glove just got a little more tarnished.

tvyankee

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:00 pm »
Its not a joke you just think he sucks at his job and thats ok.

Jeter was in the World Series?

Dave G

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:18 pm »
ESPN's Rob Neyer's take.  Here's a sample:

Nobody who really follows baseball believes that Jeter is an outstanding defensive player. The Yankees, who see him every day, don't believe that. The writers who cover the Yankees every day don't believe that. Frankly, I'm not sure the managers and the coaches who actually voted for Jeter believe that.

Sparky14

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:56 pm »
It's contract renewal time for Jeter. This is just the rest of the league making sure he makes the Yankees pay as much as possible to keep him.

drab

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2010, 07:08 pm »
It's contract renewal time for Jeter. This is just the rest of the league making sure he makes the Yankees pay as much as possible to keep him.

That's AWESOME!!! I bet there is a lot of truth to that. :lol:

Berto

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2010, 07:10 pm »
Berto, you missed my point.  If the people who are supposed to be experts give Jeter this award, the award is a meaningless joke.  Also, they know more about baseball than anyone in the world, their rational for giving the award indicates complete ineptitude or an alterior motive. 

Jeter will make the HOF, no doubt.  We aren't going to argue that.  I'm just saying this latest award was undeserved.  It's a shame because the baseball world pretty much bends over for the Yankees as it is.  Do they really need to give them awards they didn't even earn?   :scratch:

Maybe they should have given Jeter MVP, heck World Series MVP for that matter.  Why not, he deserved those awards about as much as he deserved the Gold Glove. 

Cheers,

J

Like someone pointed out Palmiero won one after playing 31 games, so what is'nt supposed to be a popularity contest , I agree> IS. I admit Jeter's skills have fallen off but bottom line he has the best fielding % in the MLB (at SS) and throughout his career he has been one of most consistent players there is, no surprises there Jackman.They don't call him captn clutch cause he has'nt helped win a bunch of those rings he has, that my friend/Yankee hater is all that EVER counts.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2010, 08:28 pm »
Jeter winning this award is NOT a joke.  A JOKE starts with the line "two men walk into a bar..."

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:26 pm »
Its not a joke you just think he sucks at his job and thats ok.

Jeter was in the World Series?

Nope, he was not in the World Series but what's the difference.  He's a future Hall of Famer and he is just as entitled to the 2010 World Series MVP as he was the Gold Glove award.  He's Derek Jeter! 

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:33 pm »

Like someone pointed out Palmiero won one after playing 31 games, so what is'nt supposed to be a popularity contest , I agree> IS. I admit Jeter's skills have fallen off but bottom line he has the best fielding % in the MLB (at SS) and throughout his career he has been one of most consistent players there is, no surprises there Jackman.They don't call him captn clutch cause he has'nt helped win a bunch of those rings he has, that my friend/Yankee hater is all that EVER counts.

And he has the poorest range of any starting shortstop in the game.  Look at his number of putouts.  He doesn't commit errors because he doesn't get to any balls.  No errors having to make long throws from the hole or off-balance throws across the middle...those are just base hits. 

Jeter is a good guy (my favorite Yankee for years) and I'm a fan of the great things he has accomplished in his career.  I think he earned the captain clutch nickname and the Mr. November distinction.  Giving him the Golden Glove for 2010 because he's Derek Jeter is a disgrace and a joke. 

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:36 pm »

Cheers,

J

A little exaggeration for effect but point taken.

I am a HUGE Yankees fan and Jeter supporter, but he didn't deserve the Gold Glove this year (and probably a few of the other years that he won the award).

However, giving a Gold Glove award to players who didn't deserve it isn't new and isn't limited to just Yankees.  Pretty much every year there are a handful of players who win and make you scratch your head.

I can't help but think that your personal issues with the Yankees are really more at the root of this than Jeter winning the award.  I am guessing that you aren't this upset over Pujols or Rolen winning this year when they clearly weren't the best at their position?   :wink:

Gotta love the hot stove!

George