Derek Jeter Gold Glove? Give me a break!

cujobob

Re: Derek Jeter Gold Glove? Give me a break!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:42 pm »
All defensive statistics have holes in them.  The field being played at, types of pitchers on the team, and various other things can have an impact.  All you need to do is watch Jeter to realize his range isn't very good.  He's never been a top defensive SS IMO, though he's in the better half during his best years.  A lot of times, the best defensive shortstops are guys who can't hit or on poor teams but noone wants to give them the awards...be it due to lack of exposure or because it's not as marketable.

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2010, 10:18 pm »
A little exaggeration for effect but point taken.

I am a HUGE Yankees fan and Jeter supporter, but he didn't deserve the Gold Glove this year (and probably a few of the other years that he won the award).

However, giving a Gold Glove award to players who didn't deserve it isn't new and isn't limited to just Yankees.  Pretty much every year there are a handful of players who win and make you scratch your head.

I can't help but think that your personal issues with the Yankees are really more at the root of this than Jeter winning the award.  I am guessing that you aren't this upset over Pujols or Rolen winning this year when they clearly weren't the best at their position?   :wink:

Gotta love the hot stove!

George

:oops:

Okay, I hate it when you are right...

For the record, it's not the same as the other guys winning because the Yankees get sooooo much publicity, the offense seems more distasteful when a Yankee player gets an undeserved award. 

Say what you want, I never miss a Yankee game (on TV)!  Even if I root against them, I still watch.  The same is true for the Vikings in football and Notre Dame in college football.  I'm the classic anti-fan!

Cheers,

J

hmen

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »
This award has always been a popularity contest.