dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: PI Audio Group Diffusers
« Reply #120 on: 20 Dec 2010, 05:59 am »
here you go

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/bass-trap-build.html
Nope, not even close.  Try here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010809200058/www.headphone.com/EditorialHeadroom/RoomTubesChapterOne.asp

Tyll posted this on his site years ago... it went down and he got so many requests it is back.  It is a great tutorial on controlling bass in problem rooms and show how you can take it farther than reason would dictate.  It works GREAT though.

:thumb:

Dave

Charles Xavier

« Reply #121 on: 23 Dec 2010, 09:57 pm »
Well I decided not to make a frame or I should say use a frame since I built one anyway and found it easier and safer just to use velcro over the top of the TV to hang these. 2 more pairs are on the way for more experimentation. I did feel that these stacked at my 1st reflection had a better impact then in the middle of my speakers. I have more on the way so I'll see what happens with them all set up

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #122 on: 24 Dec 2010, 12:14 am »
That's a really good idea on the TV I think.  How much do the small panels weigh?  Wonder if you could put rubberized hooks on them and then they can just hang.   :scratch:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #123 on: 24 Dec 2010, 12:16 am »
That's a really good idea on the TV I think.  How much do the small panels weigh?  Wonder if you could put rubberized hooks on them and then they can just hang.   :scratch:
They are light, Jason - only about 2 pounds a piece.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #124 on: 24 Dec 2010, 12:21 am »
They are light, Jason - only about 2 pounds a piece.

Dave

and they come painted black?  Cost for the small ones?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #125 on: 24 Dec 2010, 12:34 am »

sl_1800

« Reply #126 on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:01 pm »
I ordered 4 of the 2 x 4 diffusors, should be here next week.  :D

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #127 on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:49 pm »
Be sure to let us know how they work for you and how you set them up.  I'm always interested.

Dave

ebag4

« Reply #128 on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm »
Will you be placing these where your current diffusion resides on the frontwall?  Please do report back as I have considered replacing my large parabolic diffusor with Daves diffusors.

Best,
Ed

sl_1800

« Reply #129 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:52 pm »
Ed,

Yes the PI diffusors will be placed on the front wall where the ASC half rounds are now.  The diffusors should be here next week, I will be sure to take photos and report on the differences.  I'm not sure where the half rounds will be at now, any suggestions, ceiling?

ADD

• Industry Participant
« Reply #130 on: 22 Jan 2011, 02:48 am »
The Professor and his two brain cell assistant Igor, would very much like to Thank sl_1800 for his Diffusor order. We would love to hear your input after you have had a chance to try your new Diffusers.
 The PI AUDIO GROUP group  :D
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2011, 03:20 pm by ADD »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #131 on: 22 Jan 2011, 03:43 pm »
Ed,

Yes the PI diffusors will be placed on the front wall where the ASC half rounds are now.  The diffusors should be here next week, I will be sure to take photos and report on the differences.  I'm not sure where the half rounds will be at now, any suggestions, ceiling?
What is on the sidewalls to deal with the primary and secondary relfections between the speakers and the listening position?

Dave

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #132 on: 22 Jan 2011, 04:50 pm »
Dave himself is very diffuse.  :icon_lol:

Nice to see that one of the good guys in audio is doing well.  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #133 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:01 pm »
Dave himself is very diffuse.  :icon_lol:

Nice to see that one of the good guys in audio is doing well.  :thumb:
Thanks, Rick.  Good to see you here.

Diffuse or diverse... I get those things mixed up!   :lol:

Are you going to Axpona?

Dave

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #134 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:06 pm »
Yes, I'll be there exhibiting with Moon Audio. Hope to see you there.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #135 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:11 pm »
Yes, I'll be there exhibiting with Moon Audio. Hope to see you there.
Cool.  I'll be there and we'll get together.

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #136 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:16 am »
Dave the side wall first reflection points and the rest of my room treatment can be seen in this post.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71741.msg672024#msg672024

Be sure to let me know if you think something else would work better, I'm always up for experimenting.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #137 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:45 am »
Dave the side wall first reflection points and the rest of my room treatment can be seen in this post.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71741.msg672024#msg672024

Be sure to let me know if you think something else would work better, I'm always up for experimenting.
Pretty extensive use of absorption, I see.  You do great work!  :thumb:

You may find that diffusion at the rear of the room in conjunction with absorption at the first reflection points behind you will give a more open soundstage.  A lot of that will be listening position dependent.  I'm so new to open baffles that I'm learning all of the time about energy redirection at the front of the room.  Anything that you can add to my knowledge base will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #138 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:30 pm »
Pretty extensive use of absorption, I see.  You do great work! 

Dave Thanks.  The rear absorption panels were a lot of work to get the look I was after.

You may find that diffusion at the rear of the room in conjunction with absorption at the first reflection points behind you will give a more open soundstage.

I will do some more listening this morning with the diffusers in different positions to see what happens.
I'm so new to open baffles that I'm learning all of the time about energy redirection at the front of the room.  Anything that you can add to my knowledge base will be greatly appreciated.

Dave, Keep in mind that my room is very small so what has been very beneficial for me might not be so great for other situations.  For the me the rear wall of the room covered with absorption was the best thing I did.  The sound comes at you from the front only, no bounce off the rear wall, which in my case is only 4 feet from my head.  I really think the room needs more bass traps.

I was also thinking about placing corner treatments at the wall-ceiling tri-corner points.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #139 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:01 pm »
Dave Thanks.  The rear absorption panels were a lot of work to get the look I was after.

I will do some more listening this morning with the diffusers in different positions to see what happens.
Dave, Keep in mind that my room is very small so what has been very beneficial for me might not be so great for other situations.  For the me the rear wall of the room covered with absorption was the best thing I did.  The sound comes at you from the front only, no bounce off the rear wall, which in my case is only 4 feet from my head.  I really think the room needs more bass traps.

I was also thinking about placing corner treatments at the wall-ceiling tri-corner points.
Gotcha.  That was what I was talking about with the listening position comment.  A close rear wall demands absorption.

Upper corner treatment is one of the most important things that you can do in a small room.  My listening room is 14'4" x 20' x 8'.  Not particularly small or large.  Here is a picture of the corner traps that I threw up when we moved in so we could enjoy the music:

The room will get a total remodel after I finish the kitchen from hell  :roll: ...  Anyway, these are 4' wide at the top and 4' long with a mouth at the bottom that is 1' wide.  The picture really distorts the width and makes it look narrower.  Behind the trapezoid are 3 different tuned traps and a fairly dense fill of fiberglass.  My little R/C helicopter dude (Krash Killgore) uses it as a hanger.  I have these smaller ones in the upper corners of the room in the rear:

I wish the doorway wasn't there - these would have been bigger, but they do a credible job even as small as they are.

A good thig to try is a small absorbent "L" shape or flat panel angled to form a triangle at the first reflection point at the ceiling/wall intersetion between your position and the speakers.  These work well, too.

Dave