PI Audio Group Diffusers

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
Re: PI Audio Group Diffusers
« Reply #100 on: 15 Dec 2010, 12:39 am »
my wall absorbers are 2x2 and you come out with these   :o... I may need to continue the theme in my demo/testing/display room   :green:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #101 on: 15 Dec 2010, 05:11 am »
my wall absorbers are 2x2 and you come out with these   :o... I may need to continue the theme in my demo/testing/display room   :green:
I remember back about 15 years ago when I thought: "Well, I think I'm done now".  I can't believe that I was that ignorant back then.  There are always new things and some of them work really, really well.   :D  Just let us know how we can help.

Dave

Charles Xavier

« Reply #102 on: 15 Dec 2010, 08:43 am »
Back wall in room.  ABB1's sit in front of GIK 244's.  No comments yet as I am still experimenting with final placement.  I like them better in rear of room compared to front of room or 1st reflections.

nice , I just ok'd Gregg for 2 more and I'll have to experiment with placement before deciding on a final spot

DTB300

« Reply #103 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:41 pm »
At first reflection points, they should be turned 90 degrees so the cells are horizontal instead of vertical.  When used in the front of the room, they need to be precisely centered and usually flush to the front wall with the center of the diffuser at ear level.  That will give the most depth.
Tried both orientations at 1st reflection and front of room.  So far, I still like them the best in the rear of the room - as in the photo. 

After a couple of more days the next thing is to change the height of them in the rear of the room.

I will also try them on the side walls, up near the ceiling, even with where I sit.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #104 on: 15 Dec 2010, 01:47 pm »
Tried both orientations at 1st reflection and front of room.  So far, I still like them the best in the rear of the room - as in the photo.  After a couple of more days the next thing is to change the height of them.

While I don't own Pi Diffusors, I do use diffusors and have found that they I liked them best behind my listening position.

Hope it is ok to show the pic Dave.

George

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #105 on: 15 Dec 2010, 02:27 pm »
While I don't own Pi Diffusors, I do use diffusors and have found that they I liked them best behind my listening position.

Hope it is ok to show the pic Dave.

George
:thumb:

The triangles in the upper corners of the room are one of the best tweaks going.  You can make them from cardboard cardboard or foamboard, stuff them with fiberglass and they are pretty amazing at what they do.  Good job.

Dave

mcallister

« Reply #106 on: 16 Dec 2010, 10:46 am »
Back wall in room.  ABB1's sit in front of GIK 244's.  No comments yet as I am still experimenting with final placement.  I like them better in rear of room compared to front of room or 1st reflections.

Do you have these attached somehow to your 244's? I am buying three pair of the 2x2 diffusors that I planned on putting on my 242's. Curious how you attached them, supposing they are even attached.

DTB300

« Reply #107 on: 16 Dec 2010, 01:30 pm »
Do you have these attached somehow to your 244's? I am buying three pair of the 2x2 diffusors that I planned on putting on my 242's. Curious how you attached them, supposing they are even attached.
It is magic how they appear to float in the air, but yet look attached to the panels  :lol:

They are "temporarily" attached with T-Pins.  They will fall off in an instant if moved or bumped against.  But the T-Pins make it VERY easy to test multiple positions on the many panels (23 total) in my room.

I am working on a final setup for having them in front of the panels, but they have to be easy to remove (if needed), but secure so they will not fall off.  I have an idea, but have not visited Home Depot to look for the "stuff"....

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #108 on: 16 Dec 2010, 03:46 pm »
It is magic how they appear to float in the air, but yet look attached to the panels  :lol:

They are "temporarily" attached with T-Pins.  They will fall off in an instant if moved or bumped against.  But the T-Pins make it VERY easy to test multiple positions on the many panels (23 total) in my room.

I am working on a final setup for having them in front of the panels, but they have to be easy to remove (if needed), but secure so they will not fall off.  I have an idea, but have not visited Home Depot to look for the "stuff"....
Guys, here is a method that I use to mount the diffusers to walls - you may be able to adapt it to the panels pretty easily.

I take a 1/2" x 2-1/2" wide piece of wood.  Ply works well and rip it down the center at a 45 degree angle.  I then glue ( I use acrylic latex caulk)one half of this strip to the back of the diffuser with the hook facing down.  Mount the other half to the wall (or whatever) hook up.  The removeable adhesive patches work well on walls.  I use small 1/2" x 1" x 1 " wood squares in the bottom corners to space the unit evenly from the wall.

This works like a charm and is the easiest way I have found to have a moveable yet secure mounting method.

Dave

arthurs

« Reply #109 on: 16 Dec 2010, 04:42 pm »
Would this product work on them Dave?

http://rotofast.com/home.htm

Charles Xavier

« Reply #110 on: 16 Dec 2010, 05:48 pm »
Dave
Just wanted to tell you Greg is a great guy to deal with. 4 more diffusers on the way. I think the shipping issue was because he was sneaking an Uberbuss in there for me :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #111 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:42 pm »
Would this product work on them Dave?

http://rotofast.com/home.htm
Art, sure.  You would end up with a small hole in the face of the diffuser, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #112 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:51 pm »
Dave
Just wanted to tell you Greg is a great guy to deal with. 4 more diffusers on the way. I think the shipping issue was because he was sneaking an Uberbuss in there for me :lol:
That's funny!

Yep, Greg is a great guy.  He has been my best friend for many, many years.  His Dad used to hate me when I was a long haired rock and roll drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM7mxugAG1o

My 15 seconds of fame  :lol:

Dave

arthurs

« Reply #113 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:53 pm »
Art, sure.  You would end up with a small hole in the face of the diffuser, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Dave

They have a version that goes only into the back of the panel, I used them on my RPG but didn't know how they would impact material you're using here....these fasteners rock BTW!

Charles Xavier

« Reply #114 on: 16 Dec 2010, 06:59 pm »
That's funny!

Yep, Greg is a great guy.  He has been my best friend for many, many years.  His Dad used to hate me when I was a long haired rock and roll drummer.

Dave

I got an idea, you and Lonewolfe form a new band

jhm731

« Reply #115 on: 16 Dec 2010, 07:19 pm »
Dave-

Since they're made from foam, do they provide any bass adsorption?

Thanks,

Dan

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #116 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:54 pm »
That's funny!

Dave

Dave,

Pretty cool!  I feel like I should be surfing!  And I do not mean the web.  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #117 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:09 pm »
Dave-

Since they're made from foam, do they provide any bass adsorption?

Thanks,

Dan
Not really.  It is what you can do with them that will do the bass traping.  If you mount them in a traditional manner, spaced 1" from the wall they begin to act as diaphragmatic absorbers.  By adding mass to the back of the diffusers (cardboard, masonite, etc with double sided tape or glue) they will begin to absorb LF, but it is a cut and try kind of thing specific to the room.  The best way to use them to absorb LF energy in a room is to place them in a room corner forming a triangle floor to ceiling and put fiberglass or poly fill behind them.  Here is a stone age drawing for you looking down into the corner:

This will suck most of the corner boom out of the room.  The material behind the diffusers can even be put in bags or whatever to contain it. 

Another thing that can be done is to get a 12" diameter concrete form tube and cut it to half the length of the floor to ceiling measurement, put a round MDF plug in one end and set it open end up behind diffusers stacked in the room corners.  That will make a huge improvement in the sonics of the room.  There is always the SAF to consider, though :)

Dave

Charles Xavier

« Reply #118 on: 18 Dec 2010, 09:39 am »
I was just thinking of setting them into a shadow type box using the 1/8 th inch masonite with maybe felt backing so I don't scratch my screen and then maybe a light weight wood to make the square for the sides maybe 1/4 inch thick and about 2-3 inches high

figured out my mounting solution

http://www.acoustimac.com/index.php/diy-acoustic-materials/wood-frames-for-acoustic-panels/wf-424-diy-wood-frame-48x24x4.html

Guy 13

« Reply #119 on: 18 Dec 2010, 11:40 am »
Hi Dave and all Audio Circle members.
Quote:
...get a 12" diameter concrete form tube and cut it to half the length of the floor to ceiling measurement, put a round MDF plug in one end and set it open end up behind diffusers stacked in the room corners.
Unquote.
I don't quite get your idea on how you install the half tube(s), would it be too much to ask you to post some kind of basic sketch.
Thanks.
Guy 13