PI Audio Group Diffusers

TomS

Re: PI Audio Group Diffusers
« Reply #160 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:23 am »
Tom, 703 or ductboard would work well I think.  It wouldn't be that heavy if you stayed with 1" thickness.  Screens are a challenge, huh?

Dave
Ductboard? 

Do I just ping Greg on PM to order?  I didn't find a website or anything about it on yours.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #161 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:28 am »
Ductboard? 

Do I just ping Greg on PM to order?  I didn't find a website or anything about it on yours.
In case you haven't figured it out my website sucks.  I guess I should do something 'bout that, huh?

I'll give Igor a heads up and he'll get in touch.

Dave

ADD

• Industry Participant
« Reply #162 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:36 am »
Hi Tom S.
How can I help you. I have been reading your posts,very cool.
I know Dave's Diffusers will make a huge difference for you.
May I have your email so I can keep Dave in the loop.  :D :D
Thanks Igor :D

TomS

« Reply #163 on: 30 Jan 2011, 11:37 am »
Hi Tom S.
How can I help you. I have been reading your posts,very cool.
I know Dave's Diffusers will make a huge difference for you.
May I have your email so I can keep Dave in the loop.  :D :D
Thanks Igor :D
Email sent

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #164 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:59 pm »
In case you haven't figured it out my website sucks.  I guess I should do something 'bout that, huh?
Dave

Certainly there has to be a web designer on this forum that needs an UberBuss...   :wink:

ADD

• Industry Participant
« Reply #165 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:23 pm »
Hay Professor,
Tom S is a super guy. Probably what the "S" stands for.These are the people that make AS fun.
Igor :D :D

TomS

« Reply #166 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:33 pm »
Guys,

I am trying to figure out the best way to attach to the back as I don't really want to build a wood frame that would add weight. I just need to be able to attach some straps or hooks to the tops/upper backs to hang over the top frame on my screen.

Earlier you recommended caulk to attach wood strips for a french cleat. Not sure, but maybe I could just attach a few wood strips and add connections to that, assuming it's strong enough. I just hate making holes in the backs of them since they're going to be "portable" for me and the material is a bit fragile. I also don't want to use the wrong type of adhesive/caulk on the foam and have it melt or something.

Any suggestions for adhesive/caulk or fasteners?

Tom

MaxCast

« Reply #167 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:36 pm »
Guys,

Tom

Most adhesives won't like the foam.  There is about one that is listed for foam, I think it had a purple label.

TomS

« Reply #168 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:41 pm »
Most adhesives won't like the foam.  There is about one that is listed for foam, I think it had a purple label.
Dave said "acrylic latex caulk" so I'm wondering if there are different types or a specific kind/brand I should use. Just being cautious so I don't wreck them right off the bat.

ebag4

« Reply #169 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:43 pm »
Tom,
I haven't seen the diffusers in person so I don't know if this would stick to the material but have you considered velcro?  It is my understanding that these are very light.  You could either apply a strip of the loop side to the top of your screen and the hook side to the diffusor or possibly use it vertically with excess loop length that could loop through an s-hook and staple it too itself.  I hope that is clear, kind of hard to explain.

Best,
Ed

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #170 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:47 pm »
Guys,

I am trying to figure out the best way to attach to the back as I don't really want to build a wood frame that would add weight. I just need to be able to attach some straps or hooks to the tops/upper backs to hang over the top frame on my screen.

Earlier you recommended caulk to attach wood strips for a french cleat. Not sure, but maybe I could just attach a few wood strips and add connections to that, assuming it's strong enough. I just hate making holes in the backs of them since they're going to be "portable" for me and the material is a bit fragile. I also don't want to use the wrong type of adhesive/caulk on the foam and have it melt or something.

Tom
Tom, sure.  I personally used and recommend DAP brand Alex Acrylic Latex Caulk.  Any of the big box stores will have it and it works like a charm.  Just make sure that it is completely dry before use.

Back in the early 90's when I designed the first foam diffusers I sold a ton of them in the recording studio market.  When I shipped them out I had a onesheet on top of them that the buyer would see as soon as he opened the box .  It read:

BEWARE!!! USE OF ANY PAINT OR ADHESIVE THAT IS NOT WATERBASED WILL LEAVE YOU WITH ONLY A MEMORY!!!

I think we will start including that sheet along with a list of recommended products.  Thanks for your contribution to sanity  :thumb:

Dave

TomS

« Reply #171 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:49 pm »
Tom,
I haven't seen the diffusers in person so I don't know if this would stick to the material but have you considered velcro?  It is my understanding that these are very light.  You could either apply a strip of the loop side to the top of your screen and the hook side to the diffusor or possibly use it vertically with excess loop length that could loop through an s-hook and staple it too itself.  I hope that is clear, kind of hard to explain.

Best,
Ed
Yes, I have about 25 yds of industrial 1" adhesive backed velcro from the DIY screen project. I'll have to see if the adhesive will hang on to the foam adequately. Maybe attach hook to the foam, loop to a wood strip to make the mountings remove-able. Then attach the straps to the wood. That way I don't have to attach/detach the velcro each time I switch from music to movies and back. More to come...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #172 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:49 pm »
Tom,

Best,
Ed
Ed, the problem with velcro is that 'some' of the available velcro type products have an adhesive on them that slowly releases over time.  Some, but not all.  For the life of me I cannot remember the brands that suck.

Dave

TomS

« Reply #173 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:51 pm »

...  Thanks for your contribution to sanity  :thumb:

Dave
You have me mistaken for someone else  :green:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #174 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:51 pm »
Yes, I have about 25 yds of industrial 1" adhesive backed velcro from the DIY screen project. I'll have to see if the adhesive will hang on to the foam adequately. Maybe attach hook to the foam, loop to a wood strip to make the mountings remove-able. Then attach the straps to the wood. That way I don't have to attach/detach the velcro each time I switch from music to movies and back. More to come...
you can glue a thin wood strip to the foam and then attach the velcro to the strip.  This works very well.  You could even use posterboard or foamboard to keep thing really lightweight.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #175 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:52 pm »
You have me mistaken for someone else  :green:
Nah!  You do in a pinch   :D

Dave

TomS

« Reply #176 on: 9 Feb 2011, 05:57 pm »
you can glue a thin wood strip to the foam and then attach the velcro to the strip.  This works very well.  You could even use posterboard or foamboard to keep thing really lightweight.

Dave
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully I'll get to this tonight after work and a trip to the big box.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #177 on: 9 Feb 2011, 06:20 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully I'll get to this tonight after work and a trip to the big box.
Cool, share the knowledge...  That is what I love about AC and you guys in particular.

8)

Dave

Charles Xavier

« Reply #178 on: 9 Feb 2011, 07:36 pm »

Dave

Tom
Here is what I did. I originally tried velcro but the piece attached to the back of my TV came off due to heat. I made a hook and covered it with rubber so my screen doesn't get scratched then I used latex caulk to attach cardboard to the back of the diffuser and stapled a plastic hang tab to the top of the cardboard. Works like a charm :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #179 on: 9 Feb 2011, 07:45 pm »
Thanks so much for the pictures and explanation!