Class D Amps for 1.6R

Bear Heath

Class D Amps for 1.6R
« on: 23 Oct 2010, 08:50 pm »
Does anyone have experience with Class D amplification with their Magnepans?  I have 1.6s and am looking for a new amp.  My Rotel RB 991, 300 watts into 4 ohms, has been a good amp but it's going on 11 years old and besides  some odd ticking noises it is making I question if it is able to resolve all of the  info that is available on 24/96 and higher rez recordings.  Just purchased Pure Music and the resolution is so much better than the cds and Squeezebox I was using. For reference I use a Benchmark Dac1/Pre and an ACI Force.

Thanks for any input.

Brandon B

Re: Class D Amps for 1.6R
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:55 am »
I use one of DIYCable's Exodus (Hypex module) amps with my maggie surrounds.  I tried it briefly with my 1.6s when I got it (it was intended for surround duty as it is the 180 watt version, which is not enough power for my main L&R).

I was replacing a Stratos which moved to another system, and it was quite comparable to that.

My understanding is the maggies, being a flat load, tend to play pretty well with class D. 

Chris Adams

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2010, 02:32 am »
I have a Hifimediy TK2050 V2 http://hifimediy.com/The_amps.html I'm running a pair of moddified MMGs and they sound fantastic. I pulled the volume control and use a Pass B1 between the amp and my dac. I got the amp to see how it would sound thinking that it wouldn't be enough power. Well, my room is 12.5x13.5x8 and I'm just amazed. Plenty of power to fill the room with solid bass and good dynamics. The amp is extremely well behaved and detailed without being harsh. I still intend to buy the T3 V1s and make a pair of mono blocks. With the 1.6s, I think the T3s would be the way to go. Obviously there are many options and this is my first class D amp. I have had some nice ones including a McCormack DNA1 rev A+++ and a Bill Thalmann modded Sonographe SA-400. I sold the SA-400 when I got the TK2050. The TK2050 is 100w per ch into 4ohms and the T3 is 300 into 4.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2010, 01:14 pm by Chris Adams »

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2010, 02:43 am »
Blech!  Get a nice, high current class a or incredibly high powered AB solid state amp if you really want to light the maggies up!

srb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:29 am »
I have a Hifimediy TK2050 V2 http://hifimediy.com/The_amps.html.

http://hifimediy.com/The_amps.html

One surplus period at the end of the link gives you a Page Not Found error.  Everyone, please always preview and test your hyperlinks!

Steve

Chris Adams

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2010, 01:33 pm »
Sorry about the surplus period, it's been removed. :oops:

TONEPUB, I suggested the Hifimediy because Bear Heath asked about Class D.  Had the question been any amp to replace the Rotel, I would have answered differently. The Hifimediy does require some diy, so maybe not the best choice. I think that the best way to know would be to find any well reviewed Class D and try it on the 1.6s. After being in the hifi retail trade for 20 years and a hobbyist for 10, I was totally slack-jawed by the sound of the little TK2050.

Bear Heath

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2010, 02:57 pm »

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I am asking about Class D is somewhat of a financial one. If funds were not an issue I would get the Bryston 4BSST2 and be done, however with kids in college for the next ten years...

Chris Adams

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:15 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I am asking about Class D is somewhat of a financial one. If funds were not an issue I would get the Bryston 4BSST2 and be done, however with kids in college for the next ten years...

I don't have kids in college, but financial responsibilities are exactly why I tried the Class D diy. For pennies on the dollar, the sound I have now compared to some of the big buck amps I've heard and used in the past is very satisfying.  Not to mention a small, cool, light weight box that doesn't need a fork lift to move it around. 8)

jdbrian

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:41 pm »
Hi

I had a Rotel 990 in my system with the 995 preamp. I upgraded to a Wyred4sound sti500. The W4s is a much better sounding amp then the Rotel pair. Better in all respects. Neutral, quiet, cool running and powerful with excellent resolution and not harsh or glaring at all. There are a couple of reviews on the W4S site. I am driving a pair of GR Research OB7's and have a DBlabs Tranquility/Mac mini as a source.
Not the prettiest amp in the world but excellent value and with 500w/4ohms will drive just about any speaker. I easily sold my Rotel separates to help reduce the $2K price of the STI500. If you are serious about Class D consider one of these.

Brian

walkern

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:49 pm »
Several of the guys in the Cheep and Cheerful circle have reported excellent results using the Class D Audio kits with their Maggies.  The prices, even for Tom's best amp kits, are quite reasonable.  Check out the circle, and/or classdaudio.com website.

Neil

steve k

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:41 pm »
I'm biamping modified Maggie IIIA's with an Class D Audio SDS-224 (120 wpc) on the mids/highs and an SDS-258 (400 wpc) on the bass panels. These replaced VTL MB-125 monoblocks on top and VTL MB 300 deluxe monos on the bass. The Class D's have much more grip on the bass panels than the 300 watt VTL's and the noise floor is non-existent compared to the hum of the tube amps. The overall presentation is more neutral and less colored than the "bigger than life sound" that VTL's are known for, with faster transients than the VTL's. The only thing I've lost that I'm aware of is a bit of the 3D holographic magic of the VTL's. Otherwise, the sound is more relaxed and natural. Speed, instrument timbre, bass punch, sweet airy highs and round mids are all a step up from the tube amps and, I no longer have 32 tubes to tend to.
steve

Bear Heath

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:51 pm »

Thanks for the input Steve and everyone. Steve did you build the amps from the kits or buy prebuilt amps?

Thank you

Bear Heath

« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:56 pm »
Steve, looked at your gallery and think that answers my question on if you built the amps.  Are there instructions with the kits on the Class D website? Also what did you think of the Wyred 4 Sound amp in comparison to the Class D?  Thanks for your time.

steve k

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2010, 05:59 pm »
I built my second amp from scratch based on the wood case a friend of mine built for the first amp. They're basically Mdo boxes with Maple faceplates. The amp kits themselves are a piece of cake to wire--all screw connections. The only soldering is to your RCA's and binding posts on your case. Check out the early part of this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0
steve

steve k

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2010, 06:03 pm »
The W4S amp is very detailed and accurate but a tad hi-fi sounding--I heard it in a system with 1.6's. To my ears, the Class D amp was a tad warmer and more natural sounding in that same system. YMMV
steve

TONEPUB

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2010, 06:23 pm »
The Wyred for Sound amps are class d.....

steve k

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2010, 06:26 pm »
Yes, so?

Bear Heath

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2010, 11:48 pm »
Steve,

thanks for the link to the other thread. Since I have a solder gun I think I'l give it a go. I think the confusion on Tonepub's part is not realizing the brand name for the kit you made is Class D, in addition to  being a class d amplifier.

TONEPUB

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2010, 11:55 pm »
got it!

Go find yourself a nice used Threshold 400A (100wpc, class A, high current)
for $500 and you'll never listen to a chip amp again.  Works great with the maggies too.

Even the Aleph 3 (30wpc, single ended Class A) amp available used for about $800
will do a stellar job with the magnepans and won't break the bank.

These are two of the best budget amps I've ever used with Magnepans with excellent results.  Another is the Krell KSA-50 (preferrably the Mk.2 version)  This can be had for about $1200
and Krell still supports them.  Another fantastic amp for the maggies.

A bit more spendy, but incredible are the Mark Levinson ML-2 monoblocks.  25 wpc, all class
A, and though they are big and warm, will blow you away.  About $2800 a pair used these days,
but I realize this is getting somewhat away from the budget concept.

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2010, 12:37 am »
got it!

Go find yourself a nice used Threshold 400A (100wpc, class A, high current)
for $500 and you'll never listen to a chip amp again.  Works great with the maggies too.

Even the Aleph 3 (30wpc, single ended Class A) amp available used for about $800
will do a stellar job with the magnepans and won't break the bank.

These are two of the best budget amps I've ever used with Magnepans with excellent results.  Another is the Krell KSA-50 (preferrably the Mk.2 version)  This can be had for about $1200
and Krell still supports them.  Another fantastic amp for the maggies.

A bit more spendy, but incredible are the Mark Levinson ML-2 monoblocks.  25 wpc, all class
A, and though they are big and warm, will blow you away.  About $2800 a pair used these days,
but I realize this is getting somewhat away from the budget concept.

One can get a pair of Nakamichi PA-5's and bi-amp for great sound on a budget.

Having said that, I also have a Rowland 102 chip amp that sounds excellent on dynamic speakers.