Class D Amps for 1.6R

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Class D Amps for 1.6R
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:39 am »
Steve,

thanks for the link to the other thread. Since I have a solder gun I think I'l give it a go. I think the confusion on Tonepub's part is not realizing the brand name for the kit you made is Class D, in addition to  being a class d amplifier.

I think the other thing one of us needs to do is build an amp with an SDS 254 or better yet an SDS 258 and ship it to Tonepub for a comparison. Jeff D. has listened to a plethora of amplifiers, it would be interesting to get his take on the SDS designs  :o.

Anand.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:39 pm »
 For me it was always Audio research amps for our 3As. We started with a Bryston 4B much too bright for us. next up a Classe DR25, Much better more natural less beautifull mids.
  A AR 250 DR150 servo mk2 amp was available so a duel was in order. The AR just blew away any SS amp to date. It did everything right for us. The 3as were voiced using AR gear, made sense . Over the years maintaining the amp was never an issue. The only issue was retubing. With 20 6550s and a total of 36 tubes the cost was the only factor [ $1200]. The tubes lasted well over 10 years, The only issue we had was caused by me when I biaed the output tubes. By accident [ bo beers next time] I touched the wrong pin and blew one bias resistor. No biggie I installed a new one sent to me by AR for free.
  Recently at a Rave meeting at my home we put the Maggies in the backyard using the rear brick wall of our home as the rear wall. Powered by a Plinius amp [ Lector CDP] the sound was really good. For the first time I did not miss the AR. The preamp was first a Promitheus [ modded by Mapleshade] which was no slouch. When we inserted an active Pre [ Loesch & Weisner] it was a show stopper. Just Glorious. Jacintha was in our backyard.
Over 30 people just stopped talking and sat down. It was really something. Love to hear the new Plinius amps with the Maggies.charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:41 pm »
I think the other thing one of us needs to do is build an amp with an SDS 254 or better yet an SDS 258 and ship it to Tonepub for a comparison. Jeff D. has listened to a plethora of amplifiers, it would be interesting to get his take on the SDS designs  :o.

Anand.

I'm not so sure that the Class D Audio amps would fit his consumer market....