Red Ferrari from Audio 13 in Vietnam.

Guy 13

Re: Red Ferrari from Audio 13 in Vietnam.
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:29 am »
Hi Guy,
I heard the V1's at the show this past weekend, and I felt that the V2's have better tonality, but the V1's have better dynamics and better bass.  What is your opinion, since you actually own both?

Also, what do your neighbors think of all your subs :P
Hi Tyson.
I did a side by side test with the V-1 and V-2 using a switch box and switching form the V-1 to the V-2 I came to the conclusion that the V-2 IMHO as more bass or should I say : Better bass, the kind of deep bass I like. Of course, Danny did not agree and said that the wiring of the V-1 was incorrect, therefore, I am now re-doing all the wiring and I will re-do the test all over again.
Now for the mids and highs, IMHO the V-1 is a little better, it as more detail more presence, however, a little, very little more agressive sound, but not enough to be annoying. The mids and highs of the V-2 was, not softer, but a little more muffled. That's not the correct word, but can't find the right word for it. It's like it came from the back stage. But not to a point were it was annoying.
Conclusion for now. I prefer the sound of the V-2, mainly because of the bass and the price of the V-2 is also more to my liking. Later on, I will add some NoRez and post my finding, but I am not convinced that the NoRez will make a BIG difference. I am sure it will make a difference, but not a big one.
This weekend I should have finished the modifications of my V-1 and I will do another side by side test and post my finding with some pictures. I love posts with pictures.
Stay tuned...
Guy 13
Ho yes, I almost forgot to tell you about my neighbors.
There is a double 6" brick/cement wall with a 12" air spacing between my neighbors and me. Therefore, no problem. Plus, all Vietnamese are noisy persons... So I and they don't care about the loud music.
There is another neighbor that operate a sea food restaurant next door, but look or sound more like a disco club to me and my other neighbors are my in laws, they better not say anything, otherwise they won't be allowed to come and listen to my music.... (Ha, ha...)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:32 am »
Thanks Guy!  I could never live there, way too many beautiful women and thus temptation! :D

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:43 am »
Thanks Guy!  I could never live there, way too many beautiful women and thus temptation! :D
Hi Tyson.
You are right, lots of beautiful chicks in Vietnam...
My audio hobby keep me busy enough to be faithful to my wife. (Ha, ha...)
Guy 13

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:13 am »
Hi Ruben.
I wrote earlier that I would post some pictures in a few hours, well how about a few minutes ?
I said to myself, might as well do it now, before I become too busy or I simply forget. Here they are.
I hope it will help.
Guy 13

Thanks Guy.

Lookin' good!

Ruben

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm »
Sorry, but I am still playing catch up over here and I am still about 100 e-mails behind. I answered about 50 or more last night before bed time.

The Red OB subs look great. I love it. You'll love it even more if you can line it with No Rez. The panels are pretty good sized and those woofers will really shake them hard. My personal pair of V-2's have an additional 3/4" side panel and are lined with No Rez and if I were doing it again I would make the side panels even thicker if I could.

Again on the V-2 build, I'd do whatever I could (follow the plans) to minimize the surface area around the upper driver as the added space there will reduce imaging and sound stage layering.

In the design that you have posted there are several issues.

First, the N3 kit can't be used in an open baffle. For an open baffle design the crossover has to be completely different. For instance, the OB-5 and OB-7 use the same upper MTM as the N3, but the crossover is completely different. And changes in baffle size also require changes to the crossover. So even if the crossover for the MTM section of an OB-5 or OB-7 were used, it would still need the values adjusted for the larger baffle area.

Secondly, you can't series/parallel three drivers. You can series two of them and parallel it to one and get a good impedance load, but the one driver will be working twice as hard (getting twice the power) as the two.
Hi Danny and AC members.
Danny keep repeating to me that I need to minimize the surface area around the upper driver of my V-2 as the added space there will reduce imaging and sound stage layering.

Now, what about the design of famous Martin J. King with the OB set up in the picture below ? There is plenty of hard surface around the back of the mid-high driver.

Please share with me and other AC members your comments.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:13 pm »
I will let Danny know the dimensions of the front panel so that he can supply me with the right crossover.

In order to design a crossover for it, I would need your exact baffle here to measure and test with.

Hi Guy,
I heard the V1's at the show this past weekend, and I felt that the V2's have better tonality, but the V1's have better dynamics and better bass.  What is your opinion, since you actually own both?

Tyson, what you heard was the Super-V at the show. And in a side by side comparison the Super-V sounds better across the board. Resolution is better, details levels better, vocal region is better, dynamics much better, bass is much better....

Now, what about the design of famous Martin J. King with the OB set up in the picture below ? There is plenty of hard surface around the back of the mid-high driver.

Yes, it will sound as if it is all coming from the speaker forward.

Guy 13

« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:09 pm »
In order to design a crossover for it, I would need your exact baffle here to measure and test with.

Tyson, what you heard was the Super-V at the show. And in a side by side comparison the Super-V sounds better across the board. Resolution is better, details levels better, vocal region is better, dynamics much better, bass is much better....

Hi Danny and AC members.
The more I try to gather information on my U312 project, the more it looks complicated.
I hate complicated stuff.
I love simple stuff !
I have just decided right now to cancel than project.
Danny cancel the order I gave you !
I will concentrate on my V-1, V-2 and V-2 sub (Ferrari red)
Where can I find information on your Super-V and the list of items in the kit. I might be interested with the Super-V.
I do not understand a word of your sentence :
Can you explain again, using different words.
Thank you.
Guy 13

mojave

« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:06 pm »
I do not understand a word of your sentence :
Can you explain again, using different words.
Thank you.
Guy 13
The V-1 and V-2 have a great soundstage (when I heard them at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2009). The speakers disappear and you hear the source as if its from several feet in front of the speaker to several feet behind the speakers. There is a depth to the soundstage that helps one connect with the real event. With a wide baffle the soundstage is reduced and becomes flatter with the sound coming "from the speaker forward." Does this help you understand it better?

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:22 pm »
mojave nailed the baffle width explanation.

Here are a few Super-V threads:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72093.0

Super V pics:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73341.0

Super V feedback:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72423.0